PDA

View Full Version : Bright Blue Veins Panic

precious78
03-06-08, 12:00
Just before Christmas during a period of anxiety I noticed that the veins in my forearms were really bright blue and visbile. This started to freak me out and I mentioned it to my Dr at my next visit and she seemed unconcerned and said it was becuase I am fair skinned.

Since then I am paranoid about them. I have noticed them appearing everywhere. They're all over my legs, my arms and top of my arms, my breasts and stomach and I am sure a new one appears every day.

I have even taken to staring at other people's hands and arms to see if theirs are as visible as mine.

I am suremy skin is thinning out and am petrified there is something wrong with me. But every time I mention it to my Dr they just think I'm being paranoid.

I have always had a lot of thread veins on my legs, possible from the contraceptive pill, but these are now on my arms as well as these large major veins showing.

juanna
03-06-08, 14:52
:) You're quite normal; we all have them, but they are just more visible in fair skinned people..... Juanna

jellybean43
03-06-08, 14:54
Hi hunny
Just to let you know i am very fair skinned too and I have purple blotchy veins on my arms and legs(corned beef legs i used to get called!!)
Also my veins are visible on my breasts, tummy etc. Please dont worry ---you are just fine xxx

nic77
03-06-08, 15:12
hi i have very fair skin and i also can also see my viens its nothing to worry about really . we all have them its just our skin is very pale and its easier to see them

andie73
03-06-08, 18:06
Hiya

I too became obsessed with the fact I could see my veins. I'm also fair skinned. I really don't like it when I get hot or anxious as they stick up as well. This really used to freak me out to the extent that it started a panic attack but I have learnt to accept that this is normal. I did this by constantly telling myself that it wasn't anything serious. I used to think that if my veins were sticking up then I was going to have a heart attack!! I knew all along that it was because I was hot etc but it took a long time to convince my panic stuck mind that this was the case even if the rational side of me knew the truth.

You just have to believe in what your doctor has told you, and keep reinforcing it in your head. And if it helps look at other people's hands and arms etc. You will see then that you are quite normal. However don't look for the slight differences that we all have as you may just freak yourself out. Other peoples veins may look slightly different but it does not mean you have anything wrong. Their skin tone may be different etc etc.

Take care and try not to become too obsessed with this....it is very easy too though, I know.

karen34
07-06-08, 21:01
my viens are very promenent too altho mine look kinda green lol...they often bulge at my wrisrt and on the backs of my hands too.

Savvy_Darling
14-06-16, 22:05
Old thread but it's really helping me.. My veins in my right bicep area seem really blue and stand out all of a sudden:( I'm worried too... I'm scared its something bad or A disease.. Did u end up okay?

AnxiousUK
14-06-16, 23:45
Blue veins are nothing to worry about, they can show up when you're pale or if you've been working out or if you've put on weight.

Savvy_Darling
15-06-16, 00:16
Thanks anxious! I've read that other places too.. Just so weird. I've always been pale so that's why seeing new blue veins freaked me out..because I know the ones I could always see. I have been working out more trying to lose weight for summer and just to be healthy in general. Maybe that's what has caused it. Still so weird though If that really is the cause.. I was worried about some type of disease or illness that could cause that but have not and will not Google anything. Just driving me nuts not knowing what is causing it and keep thinking about calling the doc for an apt (which I still might do). I do hope it's just the exercising!!

MyNameIsTerry
15-06-16, 08:23
I just think it's from your working out, Savanna. You will be losing fat % as well as gaining muscle mass plus you will likely be drinking more water.

Savvy_Darling
16-06-16, 02:54
*sighhh* I keep trying to tell myself that.. I just don't understand why any other time of my life this hasn't happened. I also can't look in the mirror without raising my arm to look. I have noticed sometimes they look not so bad visible wise.. And then other times it's so intense to me that I can't help but feel the panic bubble within me.. /: I also notice when I look at my arm my own self it doesn't seem so bad but looking in the mirror it's worse. I also don't get why it's only my right arm that is so veiny.. I am right handed but still why hasn't this happend to me before.. And that is what always blows my rational thoughts outta the way. I haven't googled and it's been hard but I know it will scare me so I have only come on here and read old threads. (Hence why I was commenting) These old threads help a lot but no one ever gets back and tells everyone if it ended up okay or if it ended up badly. Which worries me. i don't know Terry.. I wanna go to the doctors if anything for peace of mind but my avoidance is strong with this one lol I just get too scared to call and make an apt. I hate it. No one seems worried when I ask them to look.. Just that I'm pale.. Yet iv been pale my whole life and these veins are new. I got into the exercising because ever since my stress ans anxiety got bad I've gained like 20 lbs.. And I've been trying to lose it and get healthy and fit to make m feel better. I just really can't understand why this happens even it is from exersise..and why any other previous time I was on workout mode for a month or so I didn't get these veins. :( it's the fact I don't understand why and veins are so weird honestly that I'm not happgoing I can see them.. And I feel like they're noticeable to everyone and I look like a drug addict or something. Having a hard time with this one Terry. And to make matters worse my arms feel a tad sore and i don't know if it's related or anxiety is doing this. I don't know if it's deep vein thrombosis or something.

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-16, 09:37
It makes sense that a right handed person will see the vein in that arm bulge more from exercise. It's well known in exercise that you pull with your dominant arm. So, if you are pressing a barbell, you will overcompensate with your dominant arm and work that side of the body harder at the cost of the other side. It's one reason why PT's tell people to use dumbells and bodyweight exercises these days so they don't create a weakness.

I'm right handed. I have a lot of visible veins, always have had...and I'm a good 14Lbs overweight now yet there they still are. If I clench my fists, the veins on my right hand are much more visible and stick out much more than those on my left. We aren't symmetrical so you get things like this and because of the prominent arm issue, you will see one side slightly differently.

...and don't worry about these people not coming back, don't allow Magical Thinking to enter into it. It doesn't mean anything. Some people sign up to post and then just read the responses and never come back. It's something members have complained about before, feeling like there is a lack of gratitude for those who spent time responding. Some people struggle even joining & posting due to their anxiety so there can be many reasons which we need to avoid reading into.