PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol - treating palpitations?

stm93
03-06-08, 15:35
Hello there, this is my first post & here's a little introduction. I am a 29 y.o. guy, have been having lots of palpitations and anxiety lately (6 months). Palpitations became unbearable, so my GP prescribed P-lol. I took one yesterday, felt no side effects at all (maybe a little sleepy) but my palpitations increased (even with slower heart beat). Took one this morning, only to feel even more palpitations and tightness/lump in my throat.

Somehow it makes me think it's not right... Some advice or your experience would be appreciated... Cheers

Kerry77
12-06-08, 12:29
Hi there, I am a 30 yr old women who suffered with the worst anxiety last year from March till August to the point where I actually had a MRI because I had alot of physical issues: Fuzzy head, numbness in my feet, my head sometimes felt like it was going to explode and being sick daily! I was given Sertraline which I took for 3 months but dont think it helped so I came off them. I just managed to start living with the effects that i was having and started to feel better, the sickness went away. After the Sertraline I was okay for 2-3 months then the attacks started again and I was given Propranonol in Feb this yr and I have been taking 20mg in the morn and 20mg in the eve.

The doc has also given me 2mg Diazepan to have when I have an off day which can be once a week and only need to take one when I start having a fuzzy head and I feel better for the rest of the day. I would def stick with the Pro as they are really helping me and they are better than anti-depressants which have horrid side side effects.

Hope i've helped a little and good luck. x

markisanxious
14-08-09, 22:46
hi stm 93 i have had my first one today and i am tired and seems to be making me worse to palpitations which i never really had before

andrea g
15-08-09, 18:57
hi i started taking propranolol yesterday, and felt and little better for a couple of ours, then felt worse and couldn't sleep all night. i'm taking 40mg twice a day. Even though my own dr said just take them when you are feeling stressed. But i rang an emergency gp today and he said take two everday, and they will start to kick into your system in two weeks. I'm fed up of feeling light headed wobbly legs and keep crying.
Any advice would be great. :)

nickieb
15-08-09, 19:01
I have been on them 5day now & they have started working.
Palps reduced & nervousness/anxiety

STICK IN THERE

andrea g
15-08-09, 19:20
how many mg are you on? :)

nickieb
15-08-09, 19:23
10mg 3 times a day

wendywoo
15-08-09, 22:42
hi all
i was perscribed 4omg twice a day,ciproplam 2omg once a day and 5mg diazepan when needed,took all these for one week and felt 10 times as bad...so i know it sounds harsh but threw the lot in the bin did a lot of research and went to hypnotherapy and had reiki once a week..panic attacks is just ur body telling u its had enough and needs to rest,try anything relaxing tapes,walking but the most thing i find good is when u having a panic attack try singing cos this will get ur breathing back in sync...u might think i am crazy but i had a total breakdown 6 yrs ago and was put on citroplam which i did take for 12 mnths i did get better and lead a very normal life..but they came back cos i am a workaholic,we create the symptoms the more u worry bout ur breathing,heart racing etc u are feeding the fear....Anyone can get better from a panic attack the key is just dont be afraid i know its hard as i have been there plenty of times

good luck to u all
xx

shelldavis
16-08-09, 14:30
Stick it out it will calm down, its feels like the sysmtoms are getting worse but it takes around two weeks to fully take effect, i've been on them for nearly 2yrs as i suffer from really bad axiety but touch wood i havent had a panic attack for 6months but i think that its only because i came off the anti depressants a week before the attack.. things will get better...

Welsh.Baz
16-08-09, 15:50
Propranolol, like the majority of treatments will make you feel worse before they make you feel better.

I have a mild asthma and was given this when I had a few bouts of palpitations on a regular basis, but it played havoc with my chest, so naturally stopped taking it, and have only had a slight awarness of my heart beating since, no fast/slower beats so all is good.

Try to keep at it, but if you can't bare the side effects, go back to your GP and ask for something different, i'm sure there's something else you can take to help calm the palps.

nickieb
16-08-09, 15:52
Only side effects i have had is mild nausea- but its bareable xx

Melissa0804
17-08-09, 10:38
I could not tolerate the normal propanolol, It made me feel ill! In fact I did not feel anxious, I felt terrified - palpitations and shaking etc, almost a short sharp shock to my system. I am now on a slow release version 80mg per day, I thought I would give it a go and so far so good, no problems at all!