PDA

View Full Version : A question about cbt.

Anna C
03-06-08, 20:30
Hi,
I have recently done cbt group, phone sessions and although I found them helpful I think 1 to 1 sessions would be better for me.

I suffer from anxiety and social anxiety and I know cbt can help with these. Could anyone who has had cbt tell me if it can also help with other issues like low self esteem and low confidence.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

eternally optimistic
03-06-08, 20:33
Hi Anna

I had a short course of CBT through NHS for anxiety and panic attacks.

My experience was excellent. Although only a short course many of
the ideas come back to my head when I least expect them.

If you can stomach doing a course on your own, I would definitely
suggest you go for it.

J

Tom_M
03-06-08, 23:44
Hi anna

Found this, it gives some details on CBT and social anxiety. it's in PDF, so you can download it or possibly read it on-line if you have the add-on to do that.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fapt.rcpsych.org%2Fcgi%2Freprint%2 F9%2F4%2F258.pdf&ei=-sdFSPHSNaKQ0QTvtMSLBw&usg=AFQjCNE7oi4WqFi1kTwk_qnDghA8xAXlZA&sig2=kzhWNdXNgz9dnZymXkL1fg

Tom

Stefan P
04-06-08, 09:46
Sorry to sound negative but I didn't find CBT particularly helpful with general anxiety. It did however, provide some techniques for coping with panic attacks (which thankfully are very sparse these days).

What the therapist did which I didn't feel helpful was repeat himself all the time. I would go in to the session with a particular problem on my mind and instead of wanting to talk about the problem, he would talk about the "anxiety cycle" again. I'm a bright chap .. I understood that after the first session!

Perhaps I missed the point of it all ... he was a really nice guy and did know what he was talking about, but it didn't help with the runaway anxiety (you know the type - where you phone home when you expect the wife to be in, but she isn't there with the kids, and your brain immediately screams that something is wrong and runs away with all sorts of possibilities of bad things ... when in reality she popped out for some bread).

Oh the other thing my therapist used to do was say "does that make sense" after every point he made ... lovely guy, but I got fed up with nodding and saying "yes, that makes sense. Again"

marie1974
04-06-08, 10:20
hiya i am having cbt and i have found it brilliant. i have felt alot more confident and she has made me look at alot of stuff in other ways to what i would normally see them. i definately would recommend it, also just talking face to face with someone helps alot but u have to be totally honest with all issues i feel for them to help as u only get out of it wot u put in. hugs xx

Anna C
04-06-08, 22:01
Hi,
Thank you for your replys.

Jay ann - I'm glad CBT worked for you and that you now have ideas that you can use if you feel anxious. Thats what I'm hoping for from CBT.

Tom - Thank you for the link.

Stefan - Thanks for being honest and for making me laugh! Although I am sorry it didn't work for you. I do know what you mean about how your brain works overtime and you think only negative things, I find it really exhausting.

Donna - I'm glad you're finding CBT a good experience and I hope it continues to work for you. Have you had many sessions? Also do they give you an idea of how many you are likely to need? Hope you don't mind the questions.

Thanks again for the help. Take Care Anna.