PDA

View Full Version : Churning stomach

Zingara
04-06-08, 10:28
Does anyone else suffer from a horrendously churning stomach? Mine goes round like a cement mixer, it really scares me as I think I'm going to be sick (I have emetophobia), I have been diagnosed with IBS but this churning seems to be new, is it just tension? It comes on whether I've eaten or not, and sometimes in the middle of eating. Anyone else?!

milly jones
04-06-08, 12:34
my stomach churns all the time, just like being on edge, but is particularly bad if i sense something bad is going to happen, or am about to do something fearful.

i believe that its the bodies way of being ready for flight in an emergency.

i try and distract myself and of course try and relax, in an ideal world lol

sorry if this isnt much help

millx

Zingara
05-06-08, 10:49
Thanks Milly, at least I'm not the only one! xx

Cathy V
05-06-08, 10:54
Hi samira, i dont this but my chap does big time! He does get stressed (though he's not an anxie like we) so i guess theres a connection. And arent you a little stressed about your weekend away? could be that too maybe.

Cathy xxx :)

popsy
05-06-08, 10:56
Hi Samira.
I get this everyday you arent alone!!! It makes me feel really sick sometimes.
My occupational therapist says it is part of the flight or flight response, apparently when we are stressed/anxious the body diverts blood away from the stomach to other more important areas such as arms and legs (for fighting!LOL!) and that leaves the digestion system high and dry basically and causes food/stomach acid to be churning around and not being digested for a while.
Thats what you are feeling, its not dangerous, nothing will occur because of it its just a bloody nuisance, basically the more you can relax the less it will occur - easier said than done, i know!!!
Anyway, you arent the only one and thats why its happening, hope its some help.
C xxx

Zingara
05-06-08, 11:17
Thanks, that does help actually, I guess the fight or flight thing makes sense. What we have to put up with, eh? Wish me luck for the weekend....

janeybaby25
05-06-08, 11:21
that is probably why it is churning Samira as you are nervous about your weekend anyway.I have IBS too & it always gets worse when I am nervous or scared about something or going away somewhere.

Hope you have a lovely time. Let us know how you get on. xxx

samc100
05-06-08, 11:27
I'm having the churning stomach this week - driving me mad and I am worrying about it ( like that will stop it !!).

Ta Popsy for the rational reasons - I really needed to hear that today xxx

popsy
05-06-08, 15:11
Thats okay, that was quite a compliment as im rarely rational, maybe im improving!!! thanks x x x :)

Horse
05-06-08, 19:06
I think that this is very, very common. Normally the stomach is the first part of the body to react to stress etc. I've suffered from this for many years, sometimes to the point of feeling like I had a strangulated hernia! Basically, all it is is muscle tension and tightening. My very first episode was so frightening I called an ambulance, but after many tests, there was nothing.

The digestive sysytem is rather complicated and even if you have something plain like a slice of toast, the stomach can sometimes sound like an orchestra tuning up! Add to this the bloated feeling and gas and discomfort and you have the works. As stated, the bloodflow is diverted from the digestive system in order to provide more important organs with energy. Therefore, the stomach will not be able to digest food as quickly as it normally would. This is one of the reasons why some people throw up. It is basically nature protecting the body by ridding the stomach of contents so the body has one less thing to deal with. Normally, it is found that should the sufferer encounter another symptom, for example, dizzy spells or a headache or whatever other anxiety attack, the stomach churning will disappear. What's known as symptom substitution!

Perfectly natural, but a pain in the a**e! (Which is probably another symptom).

Kevin.

karen34
07-06-08, 20:57
i used to have terrible churning and would vomit before going out as i have agoraphobia... i dont get it anymore since i go regulary for acupuncture, it has helped me loads.