PDA

View Full Version : I'm new

harlerica
04-06-08, 13:34
I'm new to this site. Just registered. I have been suffering from panic/anxiety disorder for 15 years. I've been on every medication that you can think of and have seen more doctors than I care to remember. I'm starting to realize that no dr. or pill can help me as much as I need to help myself. I need to change my thoughts, it's so very hard to do. So, after a weekend of being in the ER due to the worst attack I've had to date.......I found myself here. I hope it's a sign and I can get some advice and comfort from those who know best about this......the people who HAVE this! It's hard to take advice from someone who doesn't have anxiety and has never had a panic attack. I'm sorry, but unless you've been there, you have NO idea!
Here's to meeting new friends and sharing stories of hope and help!:yesyes:

popsy
04-06-08, 14:43
:welcome: You have come to the right place, we all understand here! You are never alone once you are a member of NMP, and will receive some great support and advice here. To change your way of thinking theres a good CBT online free site called moodgym you might find useful, lots of poeple here have, google it!
Hope to see you in chat soon.
Hugs Charlie xxxxx :hugs:

kellyw
04-06-08, 17:28
hi,
im new too. and you are here for the exact same reason as me!!! i want to get some level of control and i think that i need to do that by helping myself as much as i can.
i had one of the worst attacks so far this morning and for the first time i asked for help by people that understood, other sufferers, and they helped me so much.
i hope you find help and strngth here too.
good luck
hope you are feeling okay.
love kelly xxx

milly jones
04-06-08, 18:43
well welcome to nmp hun.

charlie mentioned mood gym, and theres another one i use called livinglifetothefull.co.uk

best wishes

milly xxxx

chalky
04-06-08, 18:46
Hi Harlerica,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

pooh
04-06-08, 23:44
Welcome aboard. Ticket please! lol
You've found the right place

Pooh xx

DeniseB
04-06-08, 23:53
Welcome Harlerica:hugs:

In a sence you are so right - no pill will help. (don't get me wrong they can alleviate when things are bad) but the aim, as you so rightly said, is to make the change yourself!!

Not a flippent remark as I know how much of a challlenge that can be - I decided this week to start challenging and have found I have felt so much better for it!

Hope you find lots of support and helpful advice on here and let us know how your are getting on:)

Denise x

alexis
05-06-08, 00:05
Hi welcome I know you will get lots of help here,xx

purplehaze
05-06-08, 00:30
Hi
I am positive you will find great support on this site! There is tons of information and the members are alwways more than willing to give you advice that has helped them

Welcome xx

n3r0x1k
06-06-08, 04:35
Hi Harlerica,

I'm not quite new but got few posts, but all I can say is you're right about the pills. I've stopped using them over the last weeks because my body got too used to them even the benzo's after 10 years, so we have to find methods of self therapy other than strictly medication cuz afterall, the condition in the first place was meant to be dealt with other than pills only. And while sometimes we could be months, I don't know about you.. but months where everything went fine and we sorta told ourselves that our condition isn't as bad as it is and so we popped pills and forgot to work on ourselves, it keeps coming back to haunt us... so untimately we find ourselves naked face to face with what we have to battle. DeniseB mentionned they can alleviate the suffering/panic sometimes, and I'm not denying that if they could still work on me I wouldn't pop one when I panic, so I'm not making this anti-medication sermon, only that if they can't work on you anymore, it's time more than ever to find ways to help yourself and atleast minimize the anxiety and focus on positive when it happens although it can be so hard. I know I'm not making sense right now, I've panicked myself all night and morning and afternoon, and I guess sleep is catching up, but just wanted to let you know that No, you're not alone. And you are right, those Dr's have got papers that say they've succeeded their Ph.D but rarely lived through what we're living through and they often overlook anxiety, almost or sometimes blatantly ridiculing you for worrying so much when they have no idea. It's as if I were to tell a schizophrenic "common' man, cheer up and stop worrying about the voices, they're only in your head". Anyways, hope you find the help and resources you're looking for.

smudgie
06-06-08, 05:01
Hi Harlerica,

Firstly a big warm :welcome: to the forum, so glad you found us. You will soon discover the volume of information here and met so many peole who are going through so much how will support you.

Im sorry your feeling like you are and wish you well with your way forward and out the tunnel to the other side.

You will get there one day.

take care
smudgie:hugs:

Mae
07-06-08, 23:18
Hi there - I am new tonight! I had my first onset on anxiety about 5 weeks ago with a series of sever panic attacks out of the blue (tho I have had lots of stress that I must have been bottling up).

I wasn't aware that I was overbreathing until my physio pointed it out to me. She noticed it in the speed at which I talk and how I breathe in quickly through my mouth. I was in a really dark place with my anxiety, had suffered dizziness, confusion and revved up feelings since the week before when I had my first attacks. She gave me a book to read - and I hope I am not breaking any rules, but I swear it stopped me from believing I was going mad. I picked it up every time I needed reassurance and followed the breathing programme which has worked wonders for me. The book is called Hyperventilation Syndrome by Dinah Bradley - I have recently bought the newer edition but any edition will do - its fab.
I am sure you will find lots of tips to help you - 15 years sounds like an eternity to be suffering. I have been struggling with 5 weeks - though taking citilapram which is now kicking in.
Take care - hope this may help.
Mae xx