PDA

View Full Version : Advice about CBT.......Pleeease....

dianes
04-06-08, 19:05
Hi everyone:D

I have been suffering with anx/panic/agoraphobia for nearly 3yrs. I don't take meds for it as I was addicted to diazepam 5yrs ago. (I was on it for nearly 18yrs and was taking 55mg towards the end, it took me over 2.5yrs to wean off it.):mad: I have a support worker who calls out to see me once a month, she is a lovely woman, she asks me how I have been doing and encourages me all the way. When this first happened to me, I forced myself to go out into the garden, then to sit at the bottom for a period of time with my hubby(who is my full time carer). I gradually progressed to being able to stand outside the gate, walk a short distance up the road etc. etc. I then had to tackle sitting in the car, hubby starting the engine, etc. etc.

All the time I was doing this she used to encourage me saying, at least I was trying and not giving up, but that is all I keep getting. I found this site last year (thank God) it explained alot which helped me to understand about my illness. I have progressed even more since reading all the information and posts.

I now feel I have come to a standstill and don't know how to move on. I have read alot of posts from ppl who say CBT really helped them, I would be grateful if someone could tell me about this and if they think I could get it. Evertime I mention it to her she says I don't need it as I am able to go outside my house and it is really for people who are house bound and can't get out.

Sorry for the long post and rambling on, PLEASE HELP.

Thanks for reading:hugs: :hugs:

Diane

'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

milly jones
04-06-08, 19:14
im not housebound and ive had cbt for negative thinking hun

cbt is about retraining our behaviours to certain fears.

if your gp is unwilling to refer u try livinglifetothefull.co.uk or moodgym.co.uk two online cbt courses.

however the small steps of task analysis are similar to tackling cbt targets, but the changing of negative thoughts need to be challenged too from my experience.

all the best

milly xxx

decca
04-06-08, 20:39
Hi Diane,
Sound like you're doing great and have made major steps towards your recovery, but yea I think a course of CBT will help you move on, the therapist should be able to help you address your fears and give you that extra bit of confidence.
Best wishes
Decca

charmain24
04-06-08, 22:12
i used to be house bound then i decided to do cbt a lovely women came to my house every week and i did things one step at a time and i think u are doing very well that you are taking these steps and not letting the fear take over your life i think cbt will be a good thing for you to look into i am now not house bound thank god but i struggle to travel distant as to me my home is my safety spot xx

DeniseB
05-06-08, 00:20
Diane:)

Well done for the steps you have taken, they are the stepping stones to getting better:hugs:

As far as CBT being for people that are totally house bound - NO!!!! As you have already heard it is beneficail to all stages of Agraphobia and as you are starting to take the first steps to overcoming this _ CBT is ideal to give you the techniques to keep those stepping stones progressing. CBT is about challenging mind patterns and behaviours that have developed for whatever reason and giving you the tools to address them in a postive and effective way - it is what cbt IS ALL ABOUT!!

As nice as your support worker may be do not be afraid to keep asking or go to your GP to see what your local health authority can offer to help you to KEEP progressing.

If you do not get the answers you want the first time you ask - keep asking!! You have started the journey - do not let others hinder your path x

Let me know how you get on x

Denise x

dianes
05-06-08, 16:29
Hi all :)

Thank you all for being so kind to answer my post. I will see my GP and ask about CBT. I do feel that I am making progress and that I have come a long way from being to frightened to venture outside of my front door or to get in the car.

I really feel after reading about CBT this would give me the skills to help me to move forward and aid my recovery.

Will let you all know how I get on with my gp.

Hugs to you all :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Diane

'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'