PDA

View Full Version : A couple of symptom and panic related questions

flash
13-04-05, 15:22
Hi all, hope your doing fine this day.

I have had a couple of questions in my ming for some time that I hope you all can help me with and perhaps others can benefit from.

As I understand I now have panic disorder which grew from panic attacks (I have had two really big ones and several hundred smaller ones together with an all-day anxiety status).

This last friday I had my first meeting with my psychiatrist who immediately gave me Sobril 10mg and Citalopram 10mg since I couldn't stop crying for a single minute of the one hour meeting. I'm supposed to take the Sobril for the first two or three weeks due to the fact that I have anxiety from the moment I wake up untill I finally go to sleep. However, my anxiety isn't really anxiety in my mind, it is more a reaction to the fact that I constantly have a hard time breathing, tingling sensation in my fingers and horrible food to stomach pains. Anyways, I have been on the Sobril pills for 7 days and Citalopram for six days (half a pill each morning). Now, I can't say I feel any different except for the first four hours of the day I really feel fine. But, half an hour to one hour after eating lunch my "feeling" arise and I feel really ill and having anxiety / panic. About an hour or two after taking the second sobril of the day all is fine.

Almost everywhere I read I get contradictory information and I hope you could perhaps shed some light for this whole situation.

I really don't know the reason for me getting my Panic Attacks although after some investigation I think I know what happened.

To the questions (Sorry for this being a long one... but you know....)

I was really active in training myself as part of a promise I made to myself that I would quit smoking, start training and begin to learn how to eat properly. The 16'th of february 2000 I quit smoking (and haven't smoked since) joined a gym, talked to a food advisor. Started to train slowly and increased the training to an almost rediculous level. Today I know almost all there is to know about food, training and being "healty". The problem for me was that no matter how hard I trained and held an exact diet nothing really happened. I didn't loose the extra body fat, I didn't grow any real muscular mass (a bit but not as much as I expected) and was a bit depressed by the whole situation, not as depressed as I would quit but I felt something must be wrong. After four years of intence training I just stopped, thought I should pause over the winter and then be smart about it and be even more accurate with my training as soon as the spring / summer was around the corner. Take a new step and really be carefull and make sure to reach my training goals (I trained both muscular and cardio vascular training atleast five days a week).

About four months after I had quit training I got my first serious Panic Attack and I must mention I also had an episode with I girl I have known for a long time that I was really anxious to, finally, be sexually engaged with (needless to say I couldn't perform). After these two events I got my first Attack. Now, I don't know if the combination of those could be the reason but I quess it is.

My mother talked to a training expert n the army who stated it is not all that uncommon that athletes who stop training do get anxiety / panic attacks shortly after and that my abscence of training really could be a reason.

Do you know if it is that common that stopping training could result in a panic / anxiety attack or disorder?

Would me starting training again perhaps help me getting rid of the symptoms and perhaps even beat the disorder?

The medicinal stuff really bothers me. I have never tried any drugs apart from an occational beer and cigarette and I don't ever use pills for headaches or anything else. I don't feel comfortable taking these pills especially since I learned I maby will have to take them for the rest of my life.

The most important questions is if most of "us" who do take Citalopram can kick them after the period we need to take them?

And perhaps a

Meg
13-04-05, 18:53
Hi Flash,

Sobril is known as oxazepam here, it's a benzodiazepine similar to valium.

my anxiety isn't really anxiety in my mind, it is more a reaction to the fact that I constantly have a hard time breathing, tingling sensation in my fingers and horrible food to stomach pains.

So if it isn't anxiety in your mind how are you cognitively reacting to the symptoms ? Think about it a minute from another point of view.

You're sharing an intimate moment with this young lady of yours - is it the actual kiss that makes you react both mentally and physically or is it how we associate and respond to the thoughts and sensations attached to the kiss.

You're having a tingle in your fingers and you're reacting to it - how ? maybe by thinking about it and those thoughts scare you which make it worse

Thoughts : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)
More thoughts : Mind Games (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1789)
Thoughts: obsessive thoughts & anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3096)

Sounds like your sobril is working and keeping the anxiety at bay for a few hours at a time.

When training you constantly are using up all the adrenaline that you are making in order to go the extra mile - if you stop suddenly your body is attuned to producing the adrenaline so cannot stop suddenly and then you find yourself awash with it all and no outlet for it so given the right circumstances and worries it may well present itself as panic.

Exercise is always good for anxiety but some consistent and gentle exercise initially may be of greater value. Also you may want to consider how you changed your diet when you stopped training too.

I doubt very much whether you'll be taking meds for te rest of your life and certainly not the sobril one . That is for short term only.

I cannot comment on the last question except that being on meds can significantly adversely affect libidos.

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
13-04-05, 19:13
hello Flash,

Megs seems to have answered all your questions very efficiently. Just wanted to say something about your last question. As Meg says, it is quite normal for people suffering from anxiety to have much less of a sex drive than other people. In turn, I think that this could make our sexual organs a lot less sensitive. This could be what you have..

Sarah :D

sal
13-04-05, 21:45
Hi Flash

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the site as Meg has given you so much helpful information.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

flash
14-04-05, 14:53
Hi,

thanks for your replies.

So if it isn't anxiety in your mind how are you cognitively reacting to the symptoms ? Think about it a minute from another point of view.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't even know where to begin thinking cognitively. I'm not even sure I understand the cognitive thinking at all. The problem for me is that when I wake up, I feel a bit of a tingling sensation in my left arm. I think that perhaps I've slept with my arm under my body for a while and the blod just starts to run freely and the sensation will eventually stop during the next few minutes. If it does not, I now know it has to do with my PA but I wouldn't know where to go from there. I feel it, I can't seem to stop feeling it and a doctor would probably say I'm imagining it. From there I'm stuck.
I'm sorry to say but I have a hard time thinking outside of the box (don't know if that is the correct term).
It's there when I wake up and it remains there untill I eventuelly get to go to sleep. It's a constant "pain". OR to explain in a different way.
The feelings I have that I believe is causing my PA is not related to a situation at all. It's there all the time and have been there for the last two months as soon as I wake up untill I fall asleep. It doesn't really matter what I do, the feelings I have and the pain I feel, I feel constantly. She Sobril, however, do make it a lot easier for me, thankfully.

You're sharing an intimate moment with this young lady of yours - is it the actual kiss that makes you react both mentally and physically or is it how we associate and respond to the thoughts and sensations attached to the kiss.

Actually, I feel as I usually do. Desire, lust, exitement and so on, although one particular part of my body doesn't react. I responded as usual but the rest didn't. It's really hard to explain without getting to graphical [^]. We tried one more time at a later date and still nothing. Obviously I was nervous for that and haven't really tried to get together with anyone since. I know that is a bit dumb but I feel I would like to get the PA under some control before involving another person in my life.

I just found out that three of my coworkers have PA and I was amazed of what they had to say and what they did and still do. One person in particular had been on Citalopram for 1.5 years and then quit and was fine for two years and then it all came back and he is now on another medicine. That scares the h*ll out of me. I hope I will be able to stop after about six months to a year and will be figting the PA in another, for me, healthier way.

Well, that's all for today. I feel a bit low right now since the breathing difficulties kicked in a few minutes back. Will take a quick walk and hope it will pass.

Thank you all for your time and kind responses.