PDA

View Full Version : ?

stacey
04-06-08, 20:33
Hi all. I phoned my Doc today to talk to her about my panick attacks etc and she refered me to a private counceller as the one at the surgery has a very long waiting list? I gave them a call and found out they are very expensive and we can't afford it on just my husbands wage. So I had a thought...... I want to give it a go to help myself and hopefully with the help from you guys and my friends and family here I could maybe get through this? What do you all think? I do believe the only ones that can help us sometimes is ourselves (in some cases)? Would love to hear from anyone. Stacey.

Cathy V
04-06-08, 21:18
Hi Stacey and welcome. I missed your first post but wanted to say you're in good company with your panics. If you follow a few of the threads on here you'll see that the response to anyone in the middle of a panic attack is brilliant, theres usually someone who can pick up your posts and help.

You're not alone here...small steps
Best wishes
Cathy V xxx :)

marie1974
04-06-08, 21:25
hi stacey yes u will get support here and there are lots of sufferers similar to you on here but yes i agree to a degree we have to help ourselves and in the process makes us stronger as a person. with panic attacks if u start to feel anxious its good to keep busy make a phone call, read a book, write an email wot ever to try and take yr mind off of it. hugs to u xxx

Granny Primark
04-06-08, 23:17
Hi stacey,
When I first became ill with panic attacks I had 6 free counselling sessions.
To be honest they were a complete waste of time.
Ive recieved more help, support and information on this website than any amount of counselling.

kazzie
04-06-08, 23:50
Stick with us:hugs:

We will help and support you:yesyes:

Kaz x x x:hugs:

Bill
05-06-08, 02:56
Stacey,

You've obviously been through a traumatic experience which has shaken your confidence but it is possible to regain it.

I've been lucky enough to have always found "free" counsellors because I too couldn't afford to pay for private treatment and I do feel I cope much better than I used to.

Consider these options before you feel you have to pay out............

Often churches, hospitals, surgeries and charities have counsellors that will help people free of charge. I've seen a few in the past and they've often been very helpful. It's a case of looking for what's available in your area such as on surgery noticeboards, asking the doctor, looking up charities such as MIND, looking on the Net or in the local hospital. You just need to do some delving and asking around, and you'll find something I'm sure.

Charities sometimes also run befriending schemes so that a befriender can visit or take you out. There are also voluntary care groups that are being created around the country who also have different services that can help.

I will gladly offer you my support too if you think I can help.

It's only a thought as I know how expensive private counsellors are and how hard it is to find the help we need.:shrug:

jesse08
05-06-08, 07:33
Hi Stacey, this site is realy helpful especially if private counselling is outside of your budget. I have copied the link below of info on Panic Attacks shown on the NMP Panic Attacks page.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=panicattack

popsy
05-06-08, 09:35
Have you tried moodgym (google it, its a free CBT online course) lots of people on here have found it really useful. Also, ive just started a 14 week telephone recovery programme with NO PANIC with a counseller, anyone can do this all you have to do is pay £10 to become a memeber then its free, there is a bit of a wating list, i waited about 6 weeks to start but you could do the moodgym thing while you are waiting. Theres also another free one called livinglifetothefull, that has also had a good response on here from people. I know how difficult it is to get counselling on a budget thats why ive searched around and found these. Hope they might be of some help, give it a try, you'll lose nothing ahy!!! Good Luck and keep posting we're all here to support each other!
Hugs C xxxx