PDA

View Full Version : advice about diazapam

charmain24
04-06-08, 21:23
ive been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for 5 years now and ive been on citalopram for a couple of years but i decided to come off them and i did well for 5 months.but i kept feeling anxious so i went on prozac been on them for bout 3 weeks now. ive taken 4 diazapam tablets (not all at once) over 4 or 5 weeks. im worried now that i am addicted to them can i be addicted to these pills already even tho i have only ever taken 4, thanks

pooh
04-06-08, 23:42
Hi char most likely almost absolutely you are not addicted. Im on prozac and diazepam and for various reasons I went without my prescription for two weeks and I was fine. (I had been on diazepam for eight weeks daily prior to this) Im supposed to take one diazepam a day. Since going without for two weeks I am back on my prozac ( its works for me) but havent felt the need for diazepam at all even though it gets prescribed to me.

I think you can relax about any addiction worries

Pooh xx

neptuno
05-06-08, 19:02
I don't think you can be addicted to them over that period of time. More likely you are subconsciously worried about relying on them as a "crutch" - which is a different thing altogether - addiction is a chemical craving and you're defintiely NOT addicted !
Be kind to yourself

decca
05-06-08, 19:24
I've been taking 2.5 mg of Diazepam each day since mid Feb. My prescription is for up to 8mg per day but I'm OK on 2.5mg so that's all I take.
My Doc. reckons there's no danger of forming and addiction or tolerance at this dosage and has recently put them on repeat prescription for me.

Decca

Granny Primark
05-06-08, 21:23
I was extremely anxious 3 weeks ago so decided to go the docs to see if she could prescribe something to calm me down.
My own doc was away on maternity leave and I saw a spanish lady doc.
I told her that I felt I was getting the better of my panic attacks but was so anxious in the car that I wouldnt let my hubby drive on dual carriageways or motorways. I also told her that we had a holiday booked for the end of August and then it was over 200 miles away. And my hubby was dreading driving cus my constantly telling to slow down and not letting him overtake another vehicle was getting him down. Hes a bus driver and been driving for over 30 years.
She shouted at me and said "Howcome after 3 years of having panic attacks you now feel the need to have something to calm you down?"
I said I didnt know. She then said "Im asking you a question and I want an answer!"
I have never ever felt so hurt and humiliated in my life!
She then gave me a prescription for 2 2mg diazapan tabs. One to take on the journey down and the other to take on the way back.
Ive heard they can be addictive but I would only take anything if it was absolutely necessary.
Ive coped so far with rescue remedy but my fear in the car is getting worse.
I did wonder if doctors had stopped prescribing diazapan.
Im thinking now to go see another doc and ask for advice.
Also Ive been told to report the doc for her attitude with me.
And please can you tell me if diazapan does have a calming affect?

Liverbird67
05-06-08, 21:56
Hiya Lynn

I don't think you can be addicted just taking 2 diazies, but I cannot believe how this so called Dr was with you, :ohmy:

She wants striking off for that attitude:mad: Mind you I have heard tales of CPNS telling people to tidy up their houses it will make them feel better! These people don't realise that the people whom need their help are the ones that are keeping them in their very well paid jobs:doh: sometimes these so called professionals need to realise that their clients, patients service users whatever the current label is sometimes need a bit of old fashioned TLC and reassurance!

I am fuming for you hunney, I am sure you will be ok on the journey, the only time I have had diazepam was as a premed for surgery years ago, the effect is quite pleasant like you have had a few drinks from what I can remember. It seems to take the edge off things a bit.

Lots of Love

Debbie
:bighug1:

nomorepanic
05-06-08, 22:45
Charmain - you are NOT addicted with that many.

Decca - I would seriously consider reducing now before you get problems with them. Just read the other posts on here about diazepam addiction and withdrawal. My doc gave me 10 and that was it - he would never give me them for 3 months!! I would question that - seriously.

decca
05-06-08, 23:12
Thanks Nicola,
I've voiced my concern with all my doc's about becoming addicted and they all say it's not likely at 2 mg per day.
I take the Diaz. as an adjunct to my heart meds to help control my tachycardia and blood pressure,this the main reason they want me to stay on them but I am monitored on a monthly basis.
Cheers
Decca.

nomorepanic
05-06-08, 23:43
Decca - this is not good really!

You will soon be adicted and then face all those problems as well.

Well I gues if doc says ok I can't argue but I can see a problem here

decca
06-06-08, 00:03
Thanks Nicola,
I am being guided by 2 of the doctors at my surgery and my cardiologist at outpatients.

Could you explain your concerns please, so I can seek further advice.
Decca.

nomorepanic
06-06-08, 19:09
My concerns are that it is a highly addictive drug and I have read posts on here from people that are trying to come off or have come off it and they wished they had never started on it in the first place.

But I cannot go against what your docs advise of course so there may be a very good reason for you to be on it.

Sorry - I wasn't trying to worry you or question them.

decca
06-06-08, 19:38
Thanks Nicola,
Yea I totally agree , I've quoted the "Aston manual " to my docs but they say that although they've all learnt from it you have to consider whether the benefits to the patient outweigh the posibilities to tolerance and addiction.Aparently Prof. Ashton's research trials only included very long term high dose users including people sufering from alcohol problems, the theraputic low dose addiction was only a theory .
In my case before my heart condition worsened last October and by February my pulse and blood pressure went totally out of control, I was totally incapable of doing anything other than sit in front of the telly, Then one of my docs suggested low dose Diazepam and within a week I was able to go out shopping,wash the car, do some gardening etc.
As I said, I'm extremely woried about addiction and mention it when I have my monthly review, I still hope one day I'll be able to gradually wean off,I have already cut from 2.5mg to 2mg per day sucessfully, whether I can cut lower than that remains to be seen.
Apparently it's now common to give it to heart attack victims to relieve their anxiety.
Best wishes.
Decca

popsy
06-06-08, 22:20
:blush: I really think it depends on the person, ive taken 3mg in the mornings for a few months, sometimes i need another 1mg later in the day, but other times not, and then other times ive gone 2 weeks without taking any, and then had a worse patch and then started taking them again. a lot of it is a mental addiction like 'i cannot go into this situation without one' (my psychiatrists advice regarding this one is to carry the diaz with you and only use if needed, as if your security blankets there you are less likely to use it) i am not denying there is a physical addiction also, but in my experience on low doses you can wean yourself off them reasonable quickly, or in my case just stop taking them for a while. I think the time to get worried is when you notice a certain doseage isnt working anymore and you want/need to take more, then there is a sign of your body wanting more and a physical addiction.

I know lots of people on here have had a nightmare using diaz and then trying to come off it, but look at it another way, where would they have been if they hadnt had it to use? I know id be in a very different place now!!!

I think in Deccas case this is a different situation again it is for a physical reason also and has improved his life immeasurably, surely that has to be taken into account when offering advice regarding diaz useage?

My psychiatrist and i talk about my diaz useage every two weeks, we know it isnt a long term solution but we also consider it helpful where i am in terms of my condition now. Once i have my anxiety more under control (using anti-depressents, anxiety management, EFT, reflexology and counselling techniques) then is the time to start thinking about the diaz situation, this is all part of the road to my recovery.

What i would say when using diaz for anxiety is, only to use it 'as and when needed' and rate your level of anxiety when you take it (maybe using a scale of 1 to 10) and adjust the doseage accordingly, taking it every 4 hours at the same doseage whether you need it or not it definitely the wrong way to use this drug, it should be handled with care and caution and defintiely under regular supervsion with a doctor.

But hey, thats just my thoughts!!!! :shrug:

decca
06-06-08, 22:55
And very good thoughts they are to Charlie,I'm sure any other Diazepam users would agree.

Many thanks and big hugs:hugs:

Decca

Londongirl
07-06-08, 00:23
Hi Charmain24!

Have you tried Cognitive behavioural therapy??

I had some sessins last year and they really do help. It seems like doctors are more willing to prescribe pills than refer to a good therapist that can really deal with the anxiety instead of masking it. If you haven't tried it then do, it was a great experience, and even though i still suffer from anxiety it is alot more managable now and i have the tools to fight it. I still believe that we can all heal from this disorder! :)

Good luck!

whitbywitchuk
13-06-08, 00:18
Im asking you a question and I want an answer!

What a biatch!!

Krakers
15-06-08, 22:34
Hi all - just a quick note to say I'm not a doc or medically qualified. This is my experience and not everyone is the same. Here goes ......

All Benzos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzo) are addictive and prone to reduced efficacy over a relatively short period of time (usually around 2 - 4 weeks). This is about the same length of time it takes for a dependency to form, but it has to be a significant dose and daily.

Taking them "as and when needed" as mentioned in an earlier post is certainly the best way to treat diazepam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam). I'm currently on 2x5 mg per day (as and when) and have had a dose as high as 60mg per day. Currently I take them about 3 times a week, as and when I need them. I've been prescribed them for 5 months now.

I had no problems withdrawing from them when reducing, but everyone is different, and the withdrawal effects can potentially be severe. To answer the original question, you can't become addicted taking 4 tablets over that protracted period of time.

I also take 20mg of Librium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlordiazepoxide) which is another benzo. Originally I was on 50mg and didn't have any trouble reducing my dose to 20mg, however reducing to 10mg brought on my anxiety. I reduced really quickly though 50,40,30,20,15,10 in about 8 weeks. My doc thinks this was too quick in hind sight and we're going to reduce at a slower rate now from 20mg to come off it. Having said that I have been taking this med for almost 18 months now, but it was the only one that actually worked for me in my circumstance.

While its wise to be wary of any potentially addictive med, practically all meds I've been prescribed to date have potential withdrawal symptoms. The best person to make the decision is yourself with the informed opinion of your doctor. At the end of the day your GP has your notes, can give you the best advise, and you can ask as many questions as you like.

I'd loved to have not taken meds, but for me it was either that, the PA's and anxiety daily or drink myself silly (and potentially to death). So the meds it was. When I do totally come off them I'll let everyone know how it went.

Krakers.

popsy
16-06-08, 09:32
Krackers, that was a really helpful post, thank you.
Good Luck with all and please let us know how you get on, thank you again.
Popsy xxx

rsindigo
19-06-08, 15:38
The first medication I was put one was Librium (1991), then after a few months I was told to stop it, which I did I just stopped it.(my doctor advised me to)
About a week later I became extremely anxious really full blown anxiety as bad as it gets, every day it lasted about 2 months.
What I went through back then I now know, was severe withdrawal symptoms because I just stopped the librium instead of coming off it slowly.

As for Diazepam I took that for 5 years (91-96) I got confidence in taking Diazepam rather than in myself, I believed that if I took a tablet then I wouldn't panic? (although I still did)
I have been off Diazepam now for 12 years for me personally it didn't work, especially in the long term, because I believed at that time, I would be worse without it?.

But I actually felt alot better after I came off diazepam.

I have been off all medication for 5 years now, I still get anxious and panic but I won't take medication.

EmmaJane
19-06-08, 16:50
After those amount of Diazapam, there is pretty much no chance of being addicted. I have a repeat perscription for Diazapam, should I need it.

Chairman - What dosage have they put you on?

I can take 1-2 tabs up to 3 times a day with an attack, should it be needed.
My dose is 2.5 mg per tablet. My doc said this is a very minumum dose and wont really do much at all!!

I understand your concerns, I was the same.