PDA

View Full Version : meniere's syndrome

milly jones
05-06-08, 12:47
after a second dose of vertigo and ongoing tinnitus it appeasr i have menieres syndrome. i have been given betahistine hydrchloride tablets to control the vertigo.

has anyone any experience of menieres syndrome please?

will i have to give up driving?

what affect will it have on my hearing?

is it linked to my anxiety and depressive illness?

please i just dont want anymore tablets / illnesses / doctors had enough

milly :wacko:

Cathy V
05-06-08, 13:08
Milly, the doc who gave you the diagnosis, did he or she not tell you aboutthis condition? I do have experience of it, but in the family. I can pm you if you want rather than go into detail here?

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :)

maddie
05-06-08, 13:12
Hi Milly

My Dad has Meniere's. He used to get very giddy and the loss of balance made him sick. He now has tablets and is fine. He does have a hearing aid, but he is 84. He still drives and walks a couple of miles a day.

There is no connection between Meniere's and anxiety or depression. Being on meds for the Meniere's might make you feel better as your head won't be fuzzy and you should lose the tinitus.

Hope you feel loads better soon.
Love
Maddie xxx :bighug1:

Cathy V
05-06-08, 13:18
Oh well there you go Milly, now you know...and so do all the other ppl who have problems with dizziness and who will now be rushing off to docs to ask if they have it too hahaha! :wacko:

Take care
Cathy xxx

milly jones
05-06-08, 13:22
Cathy the doc did talk to me but i wasnt listening as id gone with depressive ilness and anxiety and was not prepared for this. still thought vertigo was linked to anx

cheers maddie its good to know that it will make the head better

thanks so much for quick replies,

taken 1st tablet so here goes

i love nmp, promised myself i wasnt going to google

millx

Cathy V
05-06-08, 13:29
Yes thats great news milly, at least now you know the vertigo can be treated as a seperate thing from the anx.

Hope you feel better soon
Cathy xxx

thevoicewithinme
05-06-08, 14:05
Hey Milly,

My mum suffers with meniere, and apart from giddy spells and sickness for which she takes medication, it has not affected her hearing..and she can go about normal daily life pretty much ok. Can't comment on driving though as she does not drive.

As for Vertigo, I know for a fact,that it is not connected with Anxiety, as I have suffered with this on and off since my early twenties. I get maybe two or three attacks of it a year, for which I have medication.

Hope this helps Milly and I hope that you will soon be feeling better hon x

Kaz xx

Trixie
05-06-08, 15:26
I am on Serc-16, take them they work.:D

thevoicewithinme
05-06-08, 15:30
Serc rings a bell with me...think thats what my mum takes.

Kaz

milly jones
05-06-08, 16:35
ti trixie and kaz,

this serc -16 is it prescribed by gp? whats difference between that and what docs already prescribed? he gave me betahistine hydrochloride. is it cos im on citalopram already do u think?

thanks so much for helping guys

millxx

marie1974
05-06-08, 16:53
hi milly i cant help u with yr problem but i just wanted to send u a hug and wish u well:hugs: xxxxxxxxxxx

tayside lassie
05-06-08, 17:29
hi milly ..i dont have menieres but i do have real bad sinus problems which causes labyrinthitis and that causes real bad dizziness and vision problems
i know that neither conditions cause anxiety/panic but with me thats how my health anxiety started because of the dizziness .....

i hope you do feel better soon....:hugs:

sally

Trixie
05-06-08, 18:03
ti trixie and kaz,

this serc -16 is it prescribed by gp? whats difference between that and what docs already prescribed? he gave me betahistine hydrochloride. is it cos im on citalopram already do u think?

thanks so much for helping guys

millxx

It is exactly the same medication only Betahistine Hydrochloride is the generic name and Serc-18 is a brand name, a bit like Petroleum Jelly and Vaseline.:)