PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Newbie

rhowes2000
14-04-05, 08:24
Good morning everyone,

I thought I would join this forum as I have been struggling with anxiety for 6 years (from what I can remember). I only realised 6 months ago that it was anxiety after 5 and a half years of the doctor wrongly diagnosing me. So I ended up diagnosing myself through research. After looking into it as much as possible the symptoms are worse than ever, I havent ever spoken to fellow sufferers so I'm hoping this will help and that my experiences will help others.

I would be very grateful if anybody could help me with one question. The symptom I suffer mainly is very intense light headedness, and I will pass out unless I make a sudden jolt type movement or grab onto something. I have read about people feeling faint but not passing out, does anyone else suffer with this?

jude
14-04-05, 09:03
Hiya and welcome to the forum

I know its unusual to faint with a panic attack, but my mum used to.

She had the same feeling as you prior to fainting.

The gp would argue that it is low blood sugar that causes this. He put my mum on a diet where she had to eat small amounts hourly, and they stopped, so maybe he was correct.

How is your food intake?

Jude x

Be gentle with yourself....you just need some time to heal.

kairen
14-04-05, 09:16
Hi rhowes

Welcome to the site, you will get lots of help and support on this site theres always someone can answer your questions

good luck

kairen x

rhowes2000
14-04-05, 09:20
Thank you for your replies Jude and Kairen,

My food intake could certainly be improved, I hadn't really considered this as a factor before. I have had a few diabetes tests in the past as my symptoms were similair and every time my blood sugar has been normal but I certainly would like to try your method. Do you know what kind of foods I should be eating, is it just generally fruit and vegetables etc but in small amounts throughout the day?

seh1980
14-04-05, 09:40
Welcome to the forum!! :)

Just in general having a balanced diet can really help. I would suggest fruit, veg and fish and trying to cut down on junk-food..:D

rhowes2000
14-04-05, 09:42
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Welcome to the forum!! :)

Just in general having a balanced diet can really help. I would suggest fruit, veg and fish and trying to cut down on junk-food..:D

<div align="right">Originally posted by seh1980 - 14 April 2005 : 09:40:28</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thank you for the advice, I definitely think my diet needs to be looked at anyway. I find it hard to stick to healthy eating but if I know its going to help my anxiety I will certainly stick to it 100% thank you for your advice

kairen
14-04-05, 12:05
Hi rhowes,

Have you read all the welcome page as well there is loads of information to take in,

hope u enjoy this site therei some great people here always willling to help

take care xxx

kairen x

vernon
14-04-05, 12:18
Hi rhowes,
I have always been a no breakfast and one main meal a day person, but over the past few years have realised the eating a bit of breakfast maybe only a bit of cereal toast or whatever helps. I find I always got real dizzy (but haven’t fainted: yet) just before my main meal at 4pm then after eating find the dizziness goes. So I found now am snacking a little between meals, if only a biscuit or sandwich really helps keep my dizziness at bay. hope this is of some help, I say try anything:). take care Vernon

zena
14-04-05, 14:30
Hi Rhowes,

Welcome to the site.
I agree with the others you have to eat small reg meals. If you have PA's alot they use up alot of energy and bodily resources.

Anyway hope the site helps. Take care

with good wishes

Zena

rhowes2000
14-04-05, 14:43
Thank you Vernon & Zena, i'll certainly take on board your comments, I will certainly try anything that might help. The site seems very supportive and its a relief to find out you arent alone with these powerful symptoms

Tracy68
14-04-05, 15:17
Hiya
Welcome to the site. You've certainly had plenty of advice already and you will never be short of help and support from everyone on here.
Take care
Tracy
x

Meg
14-04-05, 16:17
Hi Rhowes,

Welcome,

It is highly unusual that anyone actually faints from anxiety or panic. If they do , its is often to do with extreme hyperventilation, serious hypoglycaemia as has already been mentioned or a vagal vagus reaction.

The good news is that if you haven't fainted yet after 6 years - its really extremely rare to start once anxiety symptoms and patterns are formed. so If you don't already hyperventilate you won't start.

The feeling of dizziness/lightheadedness is very common and although very disturbing it is harmless and the way through is to cary on in spite of it rather than avoiding because of it.

Here are a few past threads that may help.

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Hypogly Hypoglycemia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189)

Spaced out : Spaciness (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2696)
Dizzy : Light Headed (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2951)
dizzyness (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3062)
Light headed Light Headed (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2951)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

rhowes2000
14-04-05, 16:30
Thank you very much for that Meg, I will go through all the links you hav

rhowes2000
14-04-05, 16:33
sorry trigger happy with the enter key! I will go through those links you sent me. Its diificult to describe the exact feeling its really strange, it just rises up from abdomen up to my head and as yet I havent fainted but this is only because I fight it where possible. After what I have read so far, I think blood sugar may be the problem

ruth
14-04-05, 17:51
Dear Rhowes

Firstly welcome to this very informative and supportive site, I am very sure you will find comfort from all the info, and fellow sufferers.

I was very interested to read of your anxiety symptoms and the form they take, I myself have exactly the same problems, the feeling very faint, it comes out of the blue, without warning, and often for no reason at all. It can be very scary can't it? I like you did'nt know what it was at first, went to the Docs the same day they started, convinced I had a serious heart condition, from then on I worried and feared the next attack I now know this is the hallmark of panic disorder, but it will get better I promise you, you may be able to eliminate them yourself but I
now take medication to control the attacks, this does not suit everyone of course.

I tend to be affected whilst driving, sitting in a room full of people or in queues, if I move it seems to pass maybe this is a form of distracion which is why it goes. I think the fear is of actually "going out" but I have to say it hasn't happened yet!

Take care

Love Ruth

rhowes2000
14-04-05, 18:33
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your post it certainly sounds very familiar. Seh1980 told me about Cipralex (sp?) which sounds like it may be helpful. I am usually sceptical about medication but if it is helping fellow anxiety sufferer's I might give it a try. What medication are you on?

Jan
14-04-05, 20:45
Hi there

Welcome to the forum. Like everyone has said this is a really informative place to be as you will always find people with symptoms similar if not the same as you. I hope that you found the links helpful. It does sound as though you arnt eating properly. In this day and age we tend to miss meals and go for long periods without which does drop the levels.
When you have a pa your body produces so much adrenalin as well as other stuff that your whole system is on rapid alert. This causes all the other reactions. I would make sure you are eating little and often.Try this before you try meds it may be controlled that way. If not then go back to your Gp and ask for more advice.

I hope that you find your answer soon. Take care

Janine

rhowes2000
14-04-05, 20:51
Thank you very much for your message Jan. I am certainly going to look at my diet, I think the little and often suggestion that you and others have suggested will certainly help. Certainly could do with cutting out junk food as well. I'll see how I get on with this before I consider meds as you say.

ruth
14-04-05, 21:44
Dear Rhowes

I have been on and off Seroxat for the past nine years, I started again at the beginining of feburary, and have to say it works for me, you may have heard that this medication has had alot of bad press. I guess it is horses for courses. I believe if your quality of life is better with it then why not?

If you feel the need, do discuss the options with your GP, and let me know how you get on

Regards Ruth

Karen
14-04-05, 22:10
Hi Rhowes

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
15-04-05, 02:14
Hi and welcome to the site.

Hope we can help you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

rhowes2000
15-04-05, 08:21
Thank you all, its certainly very nice to join a welcoming friendly bunch!

Meg
15-04-05, 09:02
Our ultimate aim is to to help you find the way forward so you can make progress and get on the recovery path.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Meg
15-04-05, 11:40
Hi -

If you want to do the diet changes , the best one to go for is the GI Glycaemic Index diet.

There are several books etc one of the standard ones is Rick Gallop GI diet .

If this is you problem it will become very apparant and subside within 2 weeks.

Meg

rhowes2000
15-04-05, 11:44
Thanks Meg, I am very serious about it so i'll get hold of that book and give it my best shot

Jan
15-04-05, 14:50
Hi there

Good luck with the diet, I really hope that this is the answer for you. I am on meds and hate it and how it makes me feel but as Ruth has said sometimes that is what works and you shouldnt feel a failure if you have to take meds for a while. If it is pa's that aren't due to diet then it is a consideration but plenty of people manage without. Meg managed it without but I think some people have the right constitution and can do it. My mum was on medication at very high levels for 2 yrs but its not a bad thing.

See how you go.
take care

Janine

nomorepanic
16-04-05, 16:44
Hi Richard

Just wanted to officially welcome you aboard even though we have met in the chat room.

I am pleased to read that you are looking at your diet so do let us know how you progress with that.

Good to have you on board.

Nicola

J9
19-04-05, 19:27
Hi,

I'm new to all this but I thought I'd let you know that I've fainted a couple of times through having a panic attack! My doctor has said it's because I hyperventilated. He also says I have low blood pressure, but not dangerously so, and this can cause dizzy spells and not help when I feel the panic attack.
I hope this helps x

rhowes2000
19-04-05, 20:31
Thanks for the official welcome Nicola, much appreciated. Thank you to J9 as well nice to know i'm not alone but a horrible thought that someone else goes through the same thing if you know what i mean. I think hyperventilation plays a part in my panic attacks as well. I have high blood pressure which obviously doesnt help either. Hope you find this website as helpful as I and many others do too.

sal
19-04-05, 21:29
Hi Richard i am sure we can help you and you will get through this hun.

Take care and keep in touch.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.