PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Hypnotherapy?

4u4life
08-06-08, 11:14
Hi everyone

MODS
I am not angling for business but would like to dispell some of the misunderstandings about Hypnotherapy that seem to be evident in some of the posts I have read here.
I am one of only five therapists in Essex UK who receive referrals from the Phobic Society Charity.

If anyone would like to know more about how Hypnotherapy can help anxiety and panic attacks feel free to ask in the relevent forum or PM me your questions.

I am happy to explain how it all works in the hope it may help someone summon the courage to seek this type of help which I find is VERY effective.

David McCarthy Dip.Hyp.GQHP.GHR.Reg

Cathy V
08-06-08, 12:26
Hi David. Thanks for that post and i for one would be interested to hear about how it works and the effectivness of it. I was only discussing this with another member this morning, and i know alot of members post about this therapy. Maybe you could tell us more please? Thanks.

Best wishes
Cathy :sofa:

4u4life
08-06-08, 22:04
Hi Cathy

What would you like to know?

I can only speak from my own experience and the way I treat people. I have successfully treated people with all manner of phobias, panic attacks and some that have been diagnosed as bipolar and have attempted suicide.

The technique I use combines Hypnosis and NLP techniques that the client has a very conscious, active part in changing.

The chemical and electrical reactions that occur in our brains, and the feelings in our bodies, are set in motion by certain triggers. These triggers start a series of memories and reactions based on our life experiences. For instance have you ever smelt a perfume or heard a piece of music from years ago and instantly you are back there seeing people, places and events that you hadn't thought of in a long time. You will also feel happy, sad, excited or whatever you felt at the time. Panic attacks and phobias work the same way.

So these triggers take you down a chemical and electrical pathway of sights, sounds and feelings. The trouble is the trigger system doesn't distinguish between good or bad pathways.

What the technique I use does is put a mental detour right after a bad trigger so that it leads you along a different path without any chemical or electrical reactions. It becomes, in effect, a totally neutral experience. So you no longer go down the old route anymore, you have a new route without bad reactions. Your old reactions are effectively on a different path that you no longer automatically trigger and experience in similar situations.

This means you no longer experience the overwhelming emotional reactions, of fear, anger, panic, jealousy or whatever you just can't cope with anymore. You will just have a dim memory of how you used to react. And the great thing is the odds are very high that you will never experience those bad feelings again.

How long does it take?

The vast majority of clients are successfully treated within three sessions. In rare cases up to five sessions are needed, but these are very much the exception.

Hypnotherapy techniques obviously cannot be guaranteed as success depends on the person themselves wanting it to succeed. Unfortunately this isn't always the case as the clients subconscious maybe doing this for a positive intention and will not accept there is another way of reacting to the triggers. I would say though that this happens in maybe only 5% of cases I have dealt with.

What else would you like to know? :)

David

Cathy V
08-06-08, 22:36
David, i think youve covered everything ive EVER wanted to know about this...wow, its powerful stuff. And y'know what? for the first time in a long time it all makes sense:)

I'm alerting some of the other members to your posts in the hope that your info will give them food for thought and maybe lead to the first steps to possible recovery.

I came to live here in germany last year, so i'm a bit too far away to take up any therapy in this way in UK, but it will be interesting to follow this thread and see what other make of your posts on this forum.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
Best wishes
Cathy xxx :chairfall:

Bill
09-06-08, 02:27
Hello David,

I notice you've said I am one of only five therapists in Essex UK who receive referrals from the Phobic Society "Charity"? so does that mean you'll be offering your services free of charge?

Only you also say you're not angling for business but I've also noticed you've added your link to your site?

Seeing as you're not angling for business and are taking work from a charity, maybe you would like to team up with Nicola and her site, and add to your expertise on here with "free" support to nmp members?

4u4life
09-06-08, 10:02
Hi Bill
If you go to the Phobic Society (http://www.phobics-society.org.uk/) website you can be put in contact with one of their listed approved therapists of which I am one.
There is a reduced fee to pay to see therapists through them as none of us work for the charity we just serve as volunteers to make our services available to people who may not be able to afford full fees, including those on benefits or people who are fearful of being ripped off by someone who is not trained correctly.

Unfortunately I and my family have to eat :weep: so no I do not offer my services for free. What I am willing to offer for free is the answers to any questions that people have about Hypnotherapy, it seems that a lot of people are scared of it because they don't understand it, hopefully if I answer their questions on here without any pressure they may give it a try with a therapist near them.

I firmly believe if you give your time to help people the universe will pay you back in one way or another. :)
My site also has information about Hypnosis that may help.

I'm sorry I don't know who Nicola is, If you could tell me how I can link up with her then yes I may be able to help. My Hypnotherapy business is very busy but I will do what I can, that is why I joined the Phobic Society as a volunteer.

David

karenb
09-06-08, 10:08
Hello there David,

I am very interested in your work. How often are the sessions? Where are you based?

can you also please tell me how i go about booking these sessions and how much tou charge. Please feel free to PM me.

Many thanks

Karen.

Jaco45er
09-06-08, 10:12
I checked out David's site, and to be fair, his fee's are reasonable compared to some I have seen.

However David I would check with No more panic (Nicola) just to keep things in order from a commercial and ethical perspective.

I am sure she would be happy to endorse you and your field as she does with other genuine, trained practitioners like yourself.

I am also considering Hypnotherapy for an issue I have with going on holiday, and I must say I was sceptical, but after reading your comments here and on your website I am warming to the idea.

I particuarly like the idea that potentially the treament may only take 5 sessions, which does give the client some idea of what to expect in terms of cost.

Thank you for taking the time to explain hypnotherapy, I have found it very helpful.

Regards,

Steve

4u4life
09-06-08, 11:15
Thank you for taking the time to explain hypnotherapy, I have found it very helpful.

Thanks hope it can help you

However David I would check with No more panic (Nicola) just to keep things in order from a commercial and ethical perspective.

Yes I have PM'd Nicola, my intention is to help, not upset anyone!:hugs:

David

milly jones
09-06-08, 11:32
i have been considering hypnotherapy for sa but am just too scared.

i did make an appt with a therapist but couldnt go thru with it

i am fearful too of being ripped off or tricked into losing money

sorry this is in no way a reflection of u, please dont be offended

i just would love a way of being able to have a normal life again

milly x

Cathy V
09-06-08, 11:48
David, obviously theres alot of interest in this and reading your own comments and the other members made me think about the Nhs service for this...is there one? you say that you do voluntary work for a charity but if hynotherapy was available on Nhs ppl like you would still be paid, whilst giving help to ppl who need it and who cannot afford to go to a private appointment. I read alot of posts on here from ppl who say its helped alot with their anx or whatever their health prob is, but that they have to be mindful of the costs.

Why don't our Nhs docs refer ppl to someone like you...or am i missing something about all of this?

Thanks for your time anyway...its good to know you can give us advice through the forum in this way :read:

Best wishes
Cathy V

bottleblond
09-06-08, 12:04
Hi David,

I did try Hypnotherapy for my anxiety/agoraphobia but i just couldn't relax enough to get into it. :blush:

Lisa

4u4life
10-06-08, 21:35
David, obviously theres alot of interest in this and reading your own comments and the other members made me think about the Nhs service for this...is there one? you say that you do voluntary work for a charity but if hynotherapy was available on Nhs ppl like you would still be paid, whilst giving help to ppl who need it and who cannot afford to go to a private appointment. I read alot of posts on here from ppl who say its helped alot with their anx or whatever their health prob is, but that they have to be mindful of the costs.

Why don't our Nhs docs refer ppl to someone like you...or am i missing something about all of this?

Thanks for your time anyway...its good to know you can give us advice through the forum in this way :read:

Hi Cathy getting Hypnotherapy through the NHS is possible but, stupidly, it can depend on where you live!!!

If someone goes to their GP and asks for a Hypnotherapy referral, firstly the GP must agree to it, then you have to be within a Primary Care Trust (PCT) area, where they have decided to fund other types of therapies like Hypnotherapy. Basically the PCT controls what services the GP can purchase.

If they do fund it then the therapist may have to carry out a certain amount of sessions at a set fee for each. This can mean only therapists at the cheaper end of the scale will take you on. (But not always!)
Then the therapist needs to have a NHS provider code. This means that they have a number they are identified by for referral and billing purposes. If all these things are in place then yes it is possible to get Hypnotherapy on the NHS.

Also a lot of therapists are not really interested because as well as the agro and possibly a lower fee, you can wait 6 – 12 months to be paid! :lac:

David

4u4life
10-06-08, 21:39
Hi David,

I did try Hypnotherapy for my anxiety/agoraphobia but i just couldn't relax enough to get into it. :blush:

Lisa

Hi Lisa

The techniques I use require the person to concentrate on the details of how the anxiety effects them, I don’t need them to relax to do that, and in fact it won’t work as well if they do. As the session goes on and the anxiety reduces my clients will completely focus inwardly as they change their reactions to the past events and set their new neutral path.

You could try a therapist that will use just NLP techniques as these also involve conscious involvement without the need for relaxation to start with that most conventional Hypnotherapy does.

David

Cathy V
10-06-08, 23:35
Thank you for your explanation once again. I understand about the PCT as i worked for a GP when i lived in England and it was all about statistics and what percentage of patients were attending various clinics etc. it drove some of the docs mad....so much paperwork!

Thank you anyway for your time
Take care
cathy xx :)