PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get really down about items on the news?

Granny Primark
08-06-08, 22:48
There was a car accident yesterday on the M6 nr to stoke on trent.
There was 2 young brothers that were killed., aged 8 and 10.
The guy that caused the accident is going be charged tomorrow with causing their deaths. He was a goal keeper that played for plymouth argyle.
I saw the mum of the 2 boys on sky tv today. Needless to say she was heartbroken.
I think of the probs I have and feel ashamed. Its made me count my blessings.
Her hubby is in a critical condition, his kneck and back broken and their beloved sons have been killed by a stupid man driving wrecklessly and with alcohol in his blood and with no insurance.
Just how many people has this affected?
It just beggars belief at how many are suffering of both families at what this stupid man has done.

CliveL
08-06-08, 22:51
I avoid all news, newspapers and similar I am told I get over stimulated

marie1974
08-06-08, 22:53
hi lynn i was reading the same thing earlier and found it shocking and drunk driving too. those poor kiddies and parents i just cant imagine how terrible they must feel, sometimes i wonder wot this world is coming too with all the bad stuff, kids killing kids and adults and knives and total disrespect from youngsters these days, i best quit cos i could go on all night hehe but it does make me very sad and angry hugs to u xxxx

Cathy V
08-06-08, 22:59
Lynn, reading the papers and listening to the news has depressed me for a long time now, to the point where i gradually refused to look or listen. I know we're supposed to keep up with whats going on but whats going on is just so scary sometimes. And when i lived in stafford the town was almost always congested with extra traffic from the M6 because ther'd been an accident and the traffic had to be diverted. How could there be so many accidents on one small part of the motorway? thats how it felt anyway and then sure enough it would be in the paper that someone had lost their life :weep:

Cathy xxx

Franz
08-06-08, 23:02
I generally avoid the TV news too. Unfortunately it means I've become rather ill-informed about current affairs as I miss all the stories, not just the ones that bother me.

I look at online newspapers from time to time but I always make sure I'm in a relatively strong mood beforehand.

It's true what they say: ignorance is bliss.

Tom_M
08-06-08, 23:18
Anything to do with children getting hurt always effects me badly. I read the news, but if there's anything sad in it I just skip to the next story.

Tom

Oceanblue
08-06-08, 23:25
Yep, without a doubt, this is heartbreaking News. So sad to hear about wasted lives that are lost due to some silly driver?/over the limit?/speeding? Or whatever. Thing is the majority of the News, is rarely good News:weep: .

I've had to avoid ALL News, relating to our surroundings here in the UK and throughout the entire World.

Afew years back, I had a severe breakdown, having witnessed my mum being knocked down by a car, she died three days later. Since a young age, and still am I guess am kind of hippie- ish, and I truly thought and believed that I did not belong in this world/ Protest's lol,.. the lot lol. So much, it seemed a huge issue for my Psychiatrists/Nurses etc,.. to try and bring me back down to earth,.. (oh dear:wacko: ).

I have however...:blush: lol found my way,..:huh:, (Not to be so sensitive about the world).

I'm not exactly sure how to explain, but I have lost many good friends in life by freak accidents, only I've learnt to accept it now. If I hadn't,.. I surely would've gone crazy. Having backup from Psychiatrists, nurses,.. they were my back bone, only I knew the hard work was down to me.

Now though,.. I'm fine with the News, of course it can be upsetting, but i've managed to move on. There has been times, I will admit,.. when I'm feeling exceptionally low, i've found it very hard to come to terms with it, where- ever that grief is in the world, I find it hard to come to terms with, but do eventually.

Life's tough and can be very sad and lonely,.. only to carry on walking, we must live our own lives, not only for ourselves but for our families too, so don't try not to let these terrifying moments stop you from living, there's so much out there :)
. xxx

manmoor
09-06-08, 09:36
Granny :hugs: I too hate to hear news like this hun. I always put myself in their position and end up really upset about it so I tend to steer clear of things like that if at all possible.

P.S. Everytime I enter the Primark here your still the first person I think of lol :hugs: :hugs: xxxx

Granny Primark
09-06-08, 10:06
:roflmao: mandy.
Im thinking of upgrading cus the stuff in primark here is rubbish at the moment.
Should I be granny next cust thats where I buy me grandaughters clothes from or granny New Look cus me wardrobes now full of New Look clothes? lol
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: to you mandy. You never fail to put a smile on me face.

Loads of love

Marginalia
09-06-08, 10:41

I generally avoid the TV news too. Unfortunately it means I've become rather ill-informed about current affairs as I miss all the stories, not just the ones that bother me.

I look at online newspapers from time to time but I always make sure I'm in a relatively strong mood beforehand.

It's true what they say: ignorance is bliss.

I'm the same as Clive and Francis. I found it made things so much easier to bear when I cancelled my newspaper and stopped watching the television. I do feel bad about being so ill-informed about current affairs, but most of the time, being informed doesn't actually enable one to have any influence on it. Like Francis I do read online news when I feel up to it, and I also belong to a discussion forum where people comment on news stories - it's much better when one can share feelings. Lastly to make myself feel better I subscribe to Amnesty International and various other charities, so I'm paying them to worry on my behalf and to try and make things better.

I used to subscribe to National Geographic which is a lss traumatic way to stay informed about the world. In fact maybe I will subscribe again (I stopped due to the price).

I am also thinking of choosing a couple of political issues to get involved in, to do my bit. For example homelessness, campaign to legalise euthanasia or something.

There is so much pressure to be aware of the news, but you have to protect yourself first.

samc100
09-06-08, 11:01
I cry these days at the news and articles I read in papers or magazines

Anything involving little ones...

The Fool
10-06-08, 09:47
for me i hate the news becuase nothing ever good is on it they should call it depressing news not just news but i did no this had happend and its super sad i no and those boys were young but now hopefully the driver will get what he deserves

xskababyx
11-06-08, 15:22
I don't have a problem with the news, although I can't imagine how much suffering that poor woman is going through, her whole family has been practically destroyed.

I have a problem ready magazines like 'Woman's Weekly' or 'Woman's Own' as they're pretty much filled with stories about people with cancer, tumours, murder victims etc. They just set me off again worrying they are 'signs' about my own health, so now I just avoid them!

stace81
11-06-08, 16:10
I tried not to read much about this story, then found out that they live in my area.
The news just sets off my anx so i avoid it as much as i can, unless its slating celebs!!! lol
xx