PDA

View Full Version : My Agoraphobia concerns

EmilyJane
09-06-08, 12:29
Hi,
I have been agoraphobic for about 3 years now. I have only one place in my home where I feel comfortable, my sofa.
Even in the hottest weather, I have to have my duvet over me, the air con unit helps in the summer.
I never answer the door and hate picking up the phone. I am comfortable with people on the PC.
My problem is that I now no longer want to go out, I see no point in it. I don't like visitors as I am so used to my own company.
This is totally the opposite of how I was and I know I must be missing out on life.
I am great at giving advice to others but in this instance I don't know how to advise myself.
I really have no motivation to help myself.
Has anyone else felt like this?
Anyone have any ideas on how I can find some motivation? as I haven't a clue where it has gone.
Thanks
Emi

belle
09-06-08, 14:09
Hi there.
Summer for me is the BEST reason NOT to be in the house. I spend so many months wishing for this time of the year. Okay, so i don't venture out very far...but even if you sit in the garden, i promise you, its makes you feel better. I feel so much happier if the sun is shining.

I often feel like what is the point of going out and to have people in my house is sometimes something that i avoid as much as possible.

I have missed out on so much of life (almost a 1/3 in fact). My 20's were consumed by panic attacks/social phobia and agoraphobia and now into my 30's i know i can never get back that time and despite STILL missing out on so much, it doesn't seem to be the incentive i need to get my ar*e out of my house and get well. The fear of panic is too much for this girl.

x

london
09-06-08, 15:58
you was doing so well yesterday your do it again

EmilyJane
09-06-08, 21:10
Bluebell. I wish I felt like you, I hate the summer. It makes me feel even more guilty for not wanting to be out of my 'safe place'. I did so much, been to 22 Countries, loved life and already feel I've been there, done that.
London, I am fine here, it's 'safe' no one can intrude more than I let them. I am in control. 'Revalation' CONTROL, oh boy!!!
Is that it? No one can physically attack me.
Now I need to find a way to trust again.
It has amazed me how fast I have seen my problem.
I will do this, somehow.
I will.
Thanks.

belle
10-06-08, 00:03
Hi..I know how you feel. Just 18 months before i became agoraphobic, i was in Australia for 6 weeks, imagine that, i was the otherside of the world, to then not be able to leave the house.
Like yourself i have travelled a lot. Been to many different places and i did a lot of "stuff", i use to get anxious if i stayed in....but there IS soooo much more to do.

x