PDA

View Full Version : new to the site

ray1973
09-06-08, 13:12
Hello all

have been looking though the site for the last couple of weeks, thought i will introduce myself.

I used to suffer from panic attacks , anxiety, ibs, headaches back in the mid 90's
i virually lost 2/3 years of my mid 20's that i will never get back.

I used to suffer terrible with social anxiety always feeling nausea and fearing i would throw up in public or faint.Whenever i went out i would look for the nearest exit.

But at the time i never knew about anxiety or panic attacks, so i just tried to treat the syptoms going one sort of alternative medicine to the next.

Then in 1999 my doctor give me seroxat which i have to say saved my life or gave me a life and i took them for around 5 years in that time i never had any panic or anxiety attacks.

But in the last few months i am starting to get that feeling of fear/anxiety back, also had a minor panic attack when we went away with friend last bank holiday weekend.

also have contant headaches for around 3 weeks.

I feel like going to the doctor and asking for some seroxat just to get me though this rough time in my life.

any advice would be most welcome

Ray

ps hope i hav'nt babbled on too much

thevoicewithinme
09-06-08, 13:25
Hello Ray and welcome to NMP :)

I too once conquered panic attacks..and also agoraphobia (lost the first 7 years of my daughters life...and try as I might still cant remember them). I was panic free for 12 years..but...mine have been back now for the last four months.

I am sure that you will find lots of useful advice etc on here, and you will also get to meet some really lovely people too....people who really know what you are going through.

Kaz x

P.S. No you didn't ramble on too much...that's what I do...I am the Queen of the Ramblers :roflmao:

kellie
09-06-08, 13:50
Hiya Ray :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :yesyes:
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way. Im sorry your anx/panic has returned and im glad you found this place. it is comforting to know you aint alone and there are others who understand and can relate. hope to talk to you soon.

take care :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxx

milly jones
09-06-08, 15:29
hi ray

i have sa too and i really undertand how much it affects your life

welcome to nmp

ur definately not alone hun

milly xx

Nibbles
09-06-08, 19:53
Hi Ray and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. If the seroxat helps then I'd certainly mention it to your gp. You might also want to consider some sort of therapy as well such as cbt because they say a mix of therapy and medication works best.

Take care,

Mike :)

Zebedee
09-06-08, 20:04
Hi Ray, your story is very like mine, I also was given Seroxat in 1999 the first anti d I ever took and it made me a different person, confident no panics however the minute I came off them the anxiety attacks came back with a vengeance. I realised then that anti depressants cure symptoms but not the cause of anxiety. From my experience the only way out it through and you have to go through the panic until you get to the other side. It is the hard way excrutiating at times but it works. Now when I get anxious or panicky I try and talk my way out of it, accept all the horrible feelings , say what the hell and take a xanax if I am really bad. Having said all that if you feel you need the Seroxat take it, as everyone is different. My heart goes out to you as I know what it is like . Best of luck

chalky
09-06-08, 20:29
Hi Ray,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky