PDA

View Full Version : Panic?

Minnieminx
24-11-03, 15:24
Hi, Since taking my son to nursery my anxiety/panic seems to have got much worse. I have been a sufferer for 3 years now and been diagnosed as generalised anxiety disorder. I hate going out because panic can occur although I usually feel better when I am with someone. My problem is going to nursery on my own everyday with my son, its a 5mins drive and I'm a little nervous driving there because incase this incase that, however when I walk around the playground, I can suddenly feel weak, shaky, sometimes even feel faint, also things seems distant as if there isn't enough air and my ear/head feel full up as if my head/ears have been pumped up with air, things can feel very distant, i am so releived once I get home. If the teachers talk to me I suddenly can feel distant as if I need to escape before I faint on the floor, Does this sound typical panic???

Debbie Theakstone

sarah
24-11-03, 16:02
Hiya Debbie
Yep, sounds like typical panic to me. In fact you could be describing me!!!! Everything you have said sounds all to familiar. If people talk to me for too long in shops I find myself smiling like a loon and nodding at them but sometimes i havent got a clue what they are saying...too busy thinking of escape. Im not so bad now but it was like that in the beginning. I found that you've just got to go with the feelings as much as you can and try not to escape too quickly or you will end up thinking the only 'safe' place is home. I did this and ended up too afraid to leave the house just in case it happened again. I guess what im trying to say is never give up and keep doing what you are doing.
You arent alone in what you are feeling.
Love Sarah
xx

diana
24-11-03, 16:07
Hello Debbie,
Welcome to our little family!!! So glad you found us, there is tons of help here. Whatever you do just keep on doing what you are doing "DO NOT" start avoiding places,things or activities. This too shall pass as it has for the past (3) years. Keep those positive thoughts going.
Every symptom you just described is typical panic symptoms. You and everyone of us here has experienced these symptoms at some degree or another. I know the affects of this anxiety/panic is uncomfortable at best, but together we will all beat this thing and live happy "NORMAL" lives, whatever normal is!!! LOL............. Take care, and do come back to let us know how you are doing.

Diana xxxx

Meg
24-11-03, 16:10
Hi Minnie,

It sounds almost typical - although everyone experiences somthing a little different.

You're very unlikely to faint.

The main thing is not to start avoiding this nursery run- otherwise you'll start avoiding something else in a few weeks time.

You need to dissolve your 'in case' situations and think of positive/ humourous solutions to each of them and keep thinking of those results when you go each day - as well as practicing slow breathing as described elsewhere on this site.

Then one day as difficult as this may sound you could take a magazine and go to nursery, drop off and then just sit there for 15 mins until you start to feel better. You can do the drive several times a day - just for practice and just sit for a couple of minutes first and build up very gradually.
You have taught your body to be scared of this trip and it's learnt well, you now need to retrain it that all will be well each morning .

What about shopping etc, are you ok with those alone ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Minnieminx
24-11-03, 16:27
Thankyou all for your replys. Deep down I think i know it's panic and its nice knowing I'm not alone although I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Somedays are better than others I suppose the thought of having to go to nursery and what if this and what if that already gives me the ammunition to feel panicky before I even get there. I go in shops on my own, but some shops are worse than others depending on lighting. Shelves can appear to move and I can feel off balance, also whilst waiting in the queue I can get a sudden head rush/hot flush feeling and feel the need to escape. I don't go in supermarkets only small shops where there is a quick exit if needed. i do all my shopping on the internet where I can because it honestly is a very hard/miserable/distressing task going shopping. I won't give the nursery up I want my son to attend everyday its just the unpleasant business of it all, I want to go there and enjoy picking him up not dread it everyday.
Debbie xx

Meg
24-11-03, 16:51
Ok Debbie , good that you've recognised it .

So now you need to decide how you're going to tackle it and go for it - a little each day and practice it until its comfy then another step

Keep us posted

Meg

diana
24-11-03, 23:11
Hey Debbie,
Good to see you have recognized the issues that make you uneasy. Like Meg said think of ways you can tackle this ugly thing and just go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! It all will pass. keep coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,

Diana xxxx

sadie
25-11-03, 06:09
Hi all,

Its 6am in the morning and I have been up most of the night, tossing and turning. I have woke up with a feeling of fear like something bad is going to happen. I keep getting a funny sensation in my mouth and I am scared this means I will take a stroke. My Left arm also feels funny..its not numb and i can use it but what does this mean!!!!

Please help

sadie

nina
25-11-03, 11:17
Originally posted by Minnieminx

Hi, Since taking my son to nursery my anxiety/panic seems to have got much worse. I have been a sufferer for 3 years now and been diagnosed as generalised anxiety disorder. I hate going out because panic can occur although I usually feel better when I am with someone. My problem is going to nursery on my own everyday with my son, its a 5mins drive and I'm a little nervous driving there because incase this incase that, however when I walk around the playground, I can suddenly feel weak, shaky, sometimes even feel faint, also things seems distant as if there isn't enough air and my ear/head feel full up as if my head/ears have been pumped up with air, things can feel very distant, i am so releived once I get home. If the teachers talk to me I suddenly can feel distant as if I need to escape before I faint on the floor, Does this sound typical panic???

Debbie Theakstone

nina

Meg
25-11-03, 15:34
Hi Sadie,

It probably means you're working yourself up into near an anxiety attack.

If you have a relaxation tape play it twice through, if not, do some exercise and/or go and do something that involves concentrating or talking to someone.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
25-11-03, 15:38
Hiya All,

Sadie - I remember the first time I went numb. I thought I was having a stroke.It does pass the more you learn to relax

minnieminx - Anticipatory anxiety - almost worse than the panic itself - can you do something to take your mind off what you dread??

Take Care
Lucky

diana
25-11-03, 20:38
Hey Sadie,

What you describe sounds like anxiety. I have had the same, been to the emergency room a ton of times too. I even had extensive cardiac testing done, just to find out that I do have a "stretched heart valve" which the cardiologist assured me that atleast half of the population has and is not life threatening. However when I get a twitching, feeling numb, tingly, and my hand feels weak to make a full fist. I feel like it is definitely a heart attack or stroke. I have survived these feelings a ton of times, and still have not had a heart attack or stroke. So I suppose the cardiologist is right after all. LOL................... and of course the feeling that something terrible is going to happen is "impending doom" anxiety as well, try to calm down and find something to take your mind off of these feelings and thoughts. Find a way to just relax, I know at times easier said than done, but try, try, try!!!!! Come back to let us know how you are getting along.
Love

Diana xxxx

diana
25-11-03, 20:49
Hiya Nina,
I`m not sure what makes us like this except that we have a chemical inbalance. I do know we can not start avoiding things, people or places as it will only make us worse. I guess it`s like the old saying goes "To get over your fears, you must face them"!!!! That`s what we do, everyone to their own current abilities of course. Just do not stop doing things or avoiding things to get better, because that does not work. Keep ya chin up!!!

Diana xxx