PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone on Venlafaxine

teresasavin
10-06-08, 11:02
I've been to see my counsellor today and he's told me I should be taking Venlafaxine instead of Fluoxetine which im currently taking.

Thing is I've looked up Venlafaxine and the side effects are terrible. I've taken Fluoxetine before and never had any problems but when I started on it this time I had these suicidal thoughts at night time. Im now really scared at the thought of taking Venlafaxine because the side effects are awlful including increased suicidal rates.

Has anyone else taken/taking this at all? How did you get on with it.

gary_2.0
10-06-08, 19:10
I've been taking Venlafaxine for over two years now and suffer no side effects discourage me from taking it. I'm on quite a high does too - 300mg.

If you read the list of reported side effects for any drug you'll find and almost endless list of odd, bizarre and extreme conditions. It's best not to read any of them! They should either make you feel better or not. If not go back to your counsellor and request something else. It's your body!

I'm sure you'll be fine but if you want to discuss anything on or offline feel free to contact me.

Good luck and I hope they prove helpful.

Pickle
10-06-08, 20:22
Hi, I've also been on Venlafaxine/Effexor 3 times now, and have never had any side effects or bad experiences while on it.

I was on 150mg per day the first time and only 75mg per day the other two.

I never read the side effects, if I did, I wouldnt take them. I just listen to my body and if I feel anything is 'wrong' I'll pop into the chemist and have a word with the pharmacist.

I stopped taking them over about a month gradually reducing the dose over a few days.

I'm sure you've nothing to worry about but if you do have any concerns then I'd have a word with the practice nurse or make another appointment to see your doctor

Whatever you decide, I hope you are feeling better soon

x

teresasavin
10-06-08, 20:37
Thanks guys, thats certainly put my mind at rest thats for sure.

Thank you