PDA

View Full Version : citalopram tablets

lynny30
11-06-08, 13:01
I was wondering if anyone else has done the same as me and cut their tablets in half to try and increase the dose slowly. My doc prescribed 10mg for a week then onto 20mg but the side effects scared me so much last week that i stopped taking them. I started again this week but decided to cut them into 5mg halves and do it this way. I am also taking them at night but the effects are still there and Im tempted to stop again. Please help x

Big Bird
11-06-08, 13:10
I was wondering if anyone else has done the same as me and cut their tablets in half to try and increase the dose slowly. My doc prescribed 10mg for a week then onto 20mg but the side effects scared me so much last week that i stopped taking them. I started again this week but decided to cut them into 5mg halves and do it this way. I am also taking them at night but the effects are still there and Im tempted to stop again. Please help x

Hi,

I do not think the efficacy of the tablets is the same if they are cut(maybe someone can enlighten me further) but please try to see out the first couple of weeks and look beyond them. The side effects of these tablets varies from person to person and to be truthful, they are not as bad as people might have you believe. Flu or even a common cold can be worse. Initial feelings of nuasea subside, try to keep eating(ginger biscuits are good). The mild headache symptoms pass (if you get them at all),take a paracetamol.
the good thing is that the results are sooooo worth it.

Anyway, what have you to lose??

Stick with the prescribed dose, you will not regret it.

best wishes

(roy)xx

milly jones
11-06-08, 13:14
think roys right,

each time u up the med dose u stand a chance of side effects as body has to get used to the changes again.

the side effects are not nice, but only last a short time. u may even be prolonging them by introducing the meds slowly, i dont know.

i would do as the gp suggests hun, then see what effect they have after the side effects subside, if u do get any that is, not everyone does to the same degree,

take care

milly x

lee87
12-06-08, 23:26
The side effects really dont last long honest! And its so worth it!! I had citalopram prescribed to me and it took me almost a month to start taking them for fear of the side effects but now i am ok i am feeling so much better and dont know why i didnt start the tablets sooner!! If you do get side effects (the lucky ones dont!!) you will only get them once whatever dose you take, and you shouldnt get them again once you increase your dose either (so my GP says) so honestly please do not worry too much about them. You'll feel so much better in a few weeks!!! Keep smiling and Good luck :D

Shabs
11-04-11, 19:44
Hi guys. Im just back from the doctor and was reading the side effects so thought i would google to see first hand other peoples reviews of the tablets. Saw this forum and thought it would be a great idea to sign up and talk to people in the same situation as me :) Being feeling like this for years and never done anything about it but its got so bad that ive started having suicidal thoughts, which thankfully i have not done anything about! Im on the 20mg tablets. Was reading on some other forums that its best to take the tablets at night for the first wee while dude to the sickness. What do you guys think? Id be gratefull if you guys could keep posting how you are getting on with these tablets as i feel it would really help me out.

Thanks
Lots of love
Shabs xxx :wub: