PDA

View Full Version : Not Again - Bad Panic Attack In Supermarket

mandie
11-06-08, 13:48
Hi all

I been suffering bad with anxiety and panic attacks again past few months.

My citalopram wasnt working so 6 days ago the dr put me on sertaline.

I have not been feeling to bad, but today when i was in supermarket, out of nowhere i felt panic, then came the big head rush, got really lite headed, felt so scared, everywhere didnt look real.

I just dropped the basket and came out.

Got outside was shaking like anything. i really thought i would collapse. thought i was dying. this was the same supermarket i had an attack in before.

im home now and feel terrible.

why is this happening. Do u think its the side effects of the meds cause iv only been on them a month.

love mandie :weep:

marie1974
11-06-08, 14:12
hi mandie i just wanted to give a a hug and also to add that it quite possibly is the meds as u have changed them and only been on them a month, hopefully a few weeks and u will be whizzing round that super market no probs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cathy V
11-06-08, 14:26
Hi mandie, sorry you had a bad experience today, lost count of the times gone by when ive abandoned shopping trollies lol! but sounds like praps a combination of new meds settling into your system and maybe a bit of withdrawal from the old meds. I had similar when swopping from a beta blocker to meds for my blood pressure. The betablocker acts kind of like a tranquilser and slows your heart down as you know, and the doc decided to take me off it and give me something different which was only for high BP, but within 3 days of coming off the betablocker my anx was through the roof because of withdrawal from them. So now back on the betablockers but at lower dose and seems to be fine.

I think with a bit more time you should settle down with the new meds, but if this goes on for too long id go back to docs and see what he thinks.

TC
Cathy xxx

popsy
11-06-08, 14:56
Hi Mandie, only just got your text and now seen your message!
It must have been awful for you hun, but i would put it down to the new meds, also probably the association with a place you have had a panic before. Try not to take this attack to seriously, i know that sounds really hard and you are probably feeling really demoralised, you are only just starting on your meds and you are bound to be a bit shakey on them, anxiety can even be a bit higher to begin with, so just try and see this as a blip and a side effects of the meds rather than you!
When i started on new meds i found it was more of a comfort to realise my hightened anxiety and panic was actaully a side effect of the meds and not actually my anxiety getting worse!!! I know that probably dosent make you feel much better at the moment, but things are improving, dont let this blip stop you believeing that!!! You are still on your way to getting better.
Text me or pm me anytime if you wanna chat, you know im here for you hun.
Charlie x x x

milly jones
11-06-08, 18:51
hi mandie,

i agree with the former posts, changing meds can be rough.

i changed from lofepramine to citalopram and it took a good month to swap and settle down again.

i would stick with it and talk frankly to ur gp.

hope that helps a little

milly xx

mandie
11-06-08, 20:10
thanks everyone.

wish i could convince myself its panic and not anything else. think my dr getting fed up of me askin have i got a brain tumour again lol

mandie x

eternally optimistic
11-06-08, 20:26
Hi Mandie

I used to get that, since being on citalopram it seems to have slowed down.

Its probably a combination of the medication change over and the fact that you have felt like that before in the supermarket. It is probably sub consciously playing on your mind.

Try and relax about the whole situation and dont let it beat you. See if you can go to the supermarket, say for just one or two things so you dont have to stay in there a long time.

I do feel for you because when I got really bad last summer, I found it hard even to get out of the car.

You'll get there in the end.

Bye for now.

J

mandie
11-06-08, 20:59
Thank you Jackie.

i have to realise that i do tend to get panicky in only that supermarket, so if it was something serious, it would happen anywhere.

its just the symptoms are so scarey i feel like they cant possiblly be a panic attack

mandie x

MissChampers
12-06-08, 15:24
I can totally relate to you..Many times I've got to the checkout especially when it's busy, then abandoned my trolley and gone home crying. I've found myself driving miles out of town to go to a different supermarket which is quieter or to the corner shop. I'm ok if there's no one else stood in the queue, it's as soon as there's loads of people behind me that I start to panic and have to get away.

lota-front
12-06-08, 16:35
Hi , until i found this site i thought i was the only 1 that couldn't handle super markets ! I have many a time , left the basket at the til as have felt like i am going to pass out and my heat feel like its going to come out of my chest , or thrown my purse at a friend to pay ( if im lucky enough not to be alone ) and ran out the shop !
My husband looks at me like im crazy or thinks i just using it as an excuse .
:) It is great to know im not the only 1 !

mandie
12-06-08, 18:37
Hi

Today it got worse. I was in woolworths and iceland and i felt really panicky in there to.

I just cant handle big shops at the moment :(

love mandie x

janeybaby25
12-06-08, 18:57
hey don't worry, I had one in asda this aft & had to come out. I was woth my mum tho so it was ok, she jsut carried on shopping & I sat in car. I was upset when she came out but she said I have not to beat myself up about it & that it takes time to get over stuff so I pass the same advice on to you.

xxxx :hugs:

eternally optimistic
12-06-08, 22:36
WHAT IS WITH THE DREADED SUPERMARKET, SO MANY CHOCIE BISCUITS TOO, LOL.

I GET THAT TOO, LOTA FRONT, WITH THE TILL THING, ITS LIKE EVERY PART OF THE TRIP CATCHES UP WITH YOU. I RECKON WE JUST DONT WANT TO PART WITH OUR MONEY!!!!!

keep going everyone.

bab
15-06-08, 16:00
Ok am now sat here crying cos they tell you if you dont avoid things and keep doing things it will get easier but my panics are just getting worse especially supermarket

Liverbird67
15-06-08, 18:04
I try to use the supermarket at really quiet times first thing in the morning used to help me a lot. It seemed easier to get around. Its a horrible feeling especially if you have just started with this damned condition, I don't really know what to say in case it sounds patronising but believe me it is just part of the whole anxiety thing.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Love and hugs

Debbie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mandie
15-06-08, 18:51
I have had a better weekend. I managed to go back to the supermarket it happened in, and visit a busy shopping centre.

I will not let this thing beat me.

love mandie x

bab
15-06-08, 20:49
Well done Mandie, im so jealous of you - you are doing so well xx

Meltdown
15-06-08, 21:03
this was the same supermarket i had an attack in before.

I think this is the key here. That combined with your anxiety about the fact that you are on a new medication.

As you will probably have read on here before, panic attacks stem from a very primative part of the brain, the part which controls flight or fight. This part of the brain acts very quickly in situations of danger (real or perceived) to dump loads of adrenaline into your system in preparation for fighting, or running away!

The problem is in many modern situations, this potentially life saving response gets out of context, and gives us what we call a panic attack.

The trouble is, once we have had a bad panic attack in a particular place, this primitive part of the brain prepares us in the same way the next time we go there (or the time after that, etc). This part of the brain will not listen to reason! There is nothing dangerous in a supermarket but our subconcious produces the same response time after time.

The only way to beat this is to convince the subconcious that there is nothing to fear, by returning to the supermarket, and either letting the panic attack happen, without leaving (hard to do I know), or by gradually getting used to being in that space. Jay Ann offered some excellent advice, of going to the supermarket when it is quiet, and buying just one or two things, or even going in, walking about and then leaving without buying anything!

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but I have to sometimes remind myself of all the above, just to keep my head above water.

I have had problems in supermarkets (usually whilst waiting to pay, which seems to be quite common) and also, particularly in traffic jams.

I used to have a panic attack every time I went into a particular room at work (!) and I used to try to find excuses for not going in there, but eventually I got used to going in there again, and as with many other situations, I have more or less defeated panic.

The other important thing is not to be too hard on yourself. Just keep telling yourself that these things can happen from time to time, and that it's "only" a panic attack, and cannot harm you!

eternally optimistic
15-06-08, 21:42
I have had a better weekend. I managed to go back to the supermarket it happened in, and visit a busy shopping centre.

I will not let this thing beat me.

GOOD ON YOU MANDIE. HOPE YOU BOUGHT YOURSELF SOMETHING AS A REWARD.
j

mandie
15-06-08, 21:42
Hi Meltdown

No its not patronising at all.

I have the same trouble with work. I cant sit at my desk anymore or go into one of the rooms.

I no the only way to beat this is to face the places where u have the attack.

Easier said though

love mandie x

eternally optimistic
15-06-08, 21:43
I agree, I just need to get on a plane now.

That'll be interesting.

I like your style.