PDA

View Full Version : MRI & MS

veebee
11-06-08, 15:05
Hello, had an MRI scan yesterday of my brain – have been worried about MS. Have seen various GPs, neurologist, they say no to MS but I insisted on MRI.

Have been feeling ok about things recently (have to wait 1-2 weeks for my results) but have read a post (on another anxiety forum) of someone who was in same situation as me and has just been told they have mild MS! I am so terrified now about my results coming back, this person’s problem started with numb feet (I had numb hands for four days), I don’t know what other symptoms this person has had but I am just so scared now…my feet feel really tingly and I feel really panicked. It just seems like this illness is really difficult to diagnose and that a lot of the time the doctor’s get it wrong or dismiss it when someone is showing signs of it. I am so scared right now.

Trixie
11-06-08, 15:42
I am sure it will be OK. I am waiting for the results of my MRI also so fingers crossed.:yesyes:

AcroSplat
11-06-08, 15:58
shhhhh veebee.... you will be fine.

Delete those sites, and never look at them again. I wish i never went googling in the first place. Its made matters worse and I feel like ive wasted the past 7 weeks with all of this worry, anxiety and its stupid symptoms. I think it has to come to a point where you say no more and tell it all to piss off.

On a funnier note I was watching Neighbours tonight.... and Susan has MS and was in the hospital again ..... I had to turn the channel over as i knew would get anxiety from Susan lol...... I should of turned it off in the first place as it was Neighbours....:blush:

veebee
11-06-08, 16:57
Thanks guys for posting – trying to be calm but it is so hard! Have not got numb and tingly left hand – do you think that’s a good thing???? If I’m stressing bad and I get this does it make everything that’s happened more likely to be anxiety???

Fingers crossed for us Trixie!!!

Trixie
11-06-08, 17:45
Thanks guys for posting – trying to be calm but it is so hard! Have not got numb and tingly left hand – do you think that’s a good thing???? If I’m stressing bad and I get this does it make everything that’s happened more likely to be anxiety???

Fingers crossed for us Trixie!!!

Thanks, the lady who did my MRI didn't give any indication to whether my brain tumour had grown or not.

I am not sure if I will get a letter from my neurosurgeon or wait until my GP lets me know. I am sure they will get 'round to telling me sometime or other.:)

And fingers crossed for you also although I am sure everything will be OK for you.:yesyes:

AcroSplat
11-06-08, 17:51
I reckon anxiety can cause any symptom if you are worried about your health.

I started getting splashing cold water sensations on my skin after i read somthing similar on a MS site. My dr said that the twitches, jerking, skin sensations were all related ... i forget the word he used. But he said something how your skin is connected to your nevers which are connected to your brain, so its only natural for you to feel these symptoms when during anxiety and if you keep thinking about it.

The Dr i saw yesterday said to me that if you really wanted to you could slow your heart rate down if you thought about it.

My twitches and the jerking have just about gone. I reckon by accepting that its anxiety and then relaxing and getting back to normal is the only way to rid yourself of it.... and that goes for any anxiety related symptom.

Claesand
11-06-08, 21:26
Case studies and examples are like examples of lottery winners - it feels just like you could be the one.

You always read about the vague and hard-to-diagnose cases of serious diseases, but most of the cases present with classical symptoms. Also, a neurological exam is pretty good at picking up what is serious and what is not.

There are telltale signs of what is what and even if the GP can get it wrong, the neurologist usually has seen lots of MS over many, many years. I was diagnosed with piriformis (pinched nerve in the buttocks which gave a numb foot) by a neurologist and he told me that he had seen a lot of MS and this wasn't any. One thing he said is that it's very uncommon that there are no symptoms that the patient doesn't know about - subtle things with the eyes and stuff like that. So if the neurological exam by a neurologist didn't sound any alarm bells, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about!

I've had tingling, weakness, numbness and stuff in both hands and feet. In me a lot of it seems to come both directly from anxiety and secondary through increased tonus via pinching/irritation of peripheral nerves.

BLADERUNNER
11-06-08, 21:53
I had ultrasound scans to try and determine cause of facial/neck pain, dizziness, tingly lips/fingers/toes, headaches and more - I was convinced I had something horrendous - all came back as fine.

Not convinced, I subsequently had an MRI and was convinced the operator was looking at me afterwards with a "you poor sod" expression - all came back fine - mostly relief but also a bit frustrating to be no further forward with a diagnosis.

As I keep being told - be positive, relax, try not to worry about it - 99% of the time there's nothing to worry about - the other 1% of the time there's still usually nothing to worry about!

Best wishes....

JennyW
12-06-08, 09:21
There are telltale signs of what is what and even if the GP can get it wrong, the neurologist usually has seen lots of MS over many, many years. I was diagnosed with piriformis (pinched nerve in the buttocks which gave a numb foot) by a neurologist and he told me that he had seen a lot of MS and this wasn't any. One thing he said is that it's very uncommon that there are no symptoms that the patient doesn't know about - subtle things with the eyes and stuff like that. So if the neurological exam by a neurologist didn't sound any alarm bells, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about!

I completely agree with this. The initial exam carried out by the neurologist in his office usually gives him all the info he needs to know. They really do know what they are looking for. They only refer us for the MRI for our peace of mind.

I was convinced I had the beginnings of MS 18 months ago and absolutely scared the life out of myself by looking on the internet and linked every symptom to something that I had, tingling here and there, a bit of numbness. My god I thought my time was up :scared10:

the operator was looking at me afterwards with a "you poor sod" expression

this is what I told myself too :roflmao:

Please, please try and not to google, it really is harmful to your health. You'll be fine x

veebee
12-06-08, 13:07
Thanks everyone for your support - my neuro has actually told me outright that he doesn't think I have a progressive disease....my appointment with him was back in April and of course, after initial elation of him telling me this, I got back into my old ways and starting having symptoms again (and ones I hadn't even had before...I even wonder if the first signs of MS would be so varied...who knows).

I have just been so worried and uptight...over the past few weeks my eyes have been really bugging me (at the time of my exam I mentioned my eyes felt tender and irritated, he checked them and presumably thought they looked ok)...I've even seen the letter he sent back to my GP which basically said no progressive illness. BUT I am still scared about what the MRI results have to say. And even scarier...will I even believe it if (please God) they come back ok.....has anyone else experienced this?

countrygirl
12-06-08, 19:11
Believe me if you have demylianation in your brain it will show up on MRI no question at all. I have just had my 3rd brain mri because I DO have extensive demylianation across top of my brain and a probably ms diagnosis but I have no loss of motor function just sensory symptoms so its very mild. The 3rd mri in 7 years is to see if the lesions have increased.

milly jones
12-06-08, 19:23
hi veebee

we met when u first joined hun

i know little bout ms so i wont comment

just to give u a hug as ur so anxious bout this and i do know what that feels like hun

milly xx

Trixie
12-06-08, 19:31
I had ultrasound scans to try and determine cause of facial/neck pain, dizziness, tingly lips/fingers/toes, headaches and more - I was convinced I had something horrendous - all came back as fine.

Not convinced, I subsequently had an MRI and was convinced the operator was looking at me afterwards with a "you poor sod" expression - all came back fine - mostly relief but also a bit frustrating to be no further forward with a diagnosis.

As I keep being told - be positive, relax, try not to worry about it - 99% of the time there's nothing to worry about - the other 1% of the time there's still usually nothing to worry about!

Best wishes....

The operator and I were too busy laughing and joking for me to have noticed a "You poor sod" expression.:D

I didn't even notice that expression after my first one, perhaps I was oblivious to it all.:huh:

emes
12-06-08, 21:12
oh my god...am so glad i came by this site....i have been having so many symptoms since sept 07 and all any doctor and neurologist has said is its anxiety....i am not a highly strung or anxious person and have never suffer from anxiety...i find it hard to believe that all my symptoms are due to anxiety..so i have been going to endless doctors and one of the best neurologist in the country looking for a diagnosis which i was convinced was ms.....although having 2 mri of brain and one of spine are all clear..like some others on here i put my symptoms into google and ms came straight back at me...i have been an emotional mess for months with more and more symptoms occuring every few weeks....i am starting to hope that it is all anxiety as no1 can find anything wrong with me..so maybe i should just start to accept it and accept that nothing is seriously wrong with me...although there is always a nag in the back of my head that maybe someone is missing something but i figure that the longer my symptoms go on the less chance of it being very serious....
it is very hard to believe that anxiety can make all these symptoms be very real...my doc prescribed lexapro for me months ago which i refused to take so im thinking i might start now..would love to get some feedback ofpeople who have taken these..the doc says they will eliminate symptoms....

pigtailplaits
12-06-08, 22:20
I can fully understand your anxiety. 4 months ago i started having blurred vision and dizziness and linked my symptoms with a brain tumor. I was back and forth to the docs, getting nowhere so i went to AandE and demanded a CT scan. They did it and told me then and there that it was normal. It made me happy for the rest of the day but in the morning when i woke up, nothing had changed. Since that day i feel my symptoms have got worse i still have blurred vision, pressure headaches, dizziness and my new symptoms are tinnitus, pins and needles and my skull feels different but i think its coz i am more aware of it and touching it all the time. I just keep thinking the scan was too long ago now and something has happened since the scan. So if you are like me, a clear result wont make a difference to the way you feel. I was at my gps last month asking for another one to which he refused saying it would add to my anxiety. Fingers crossed for you, hope all turns out well x

emes
12-06-08, 23:02
have you ever tried an antidepdepressnt..my gp thinks its the way foward..i will give anything a try at this stage..im desperste for answers...but i just cant go back with the same symptmoms its getting embarrassing.

AcroSplat
13-06-08, 04:30
My GP gave me medication for anxiety 2 weeks ago. I dont want to take them, and decided i wouldnt..... but 2 weeks later, my arm still feels weak - like i want to let it hang loose and not use it. I also have a minor minor dull ache pain in my bicep muscle as well as my sholder and forearm.

He did imply that the medication was the only way forward but im still unsure if i should take them or not.

Twitching and Jerking have faded by 90%

Veebee your MRI results will be fine..... I think it does take a while for your anxiety symptoms to go though. Its been 3 weeks since i got my mri results and im still suffering. My Dr said it could take about a month for it to get back to normal.