PDA

View Full Version : New sufferer :-(

sakara
11-06-08, 20:52
Hi all! I just thought id write and see if i can get any advise, about 1 month ago, completely out of the blue i suffered a really bad panic attack, to be honest i thought i was having a heart attck and got my husband to take me to A&E (much to my embarrassment once the attack stopped in the waiting room!) i didn't know what the hell was happening to me, i couldn't breathe i was gasping for air, my stomach was cramping so badly it felt like i was in labour, and this lasted for about ten mintues, once it stopped my hands and arms had pins and needles. so anyway i went to the doctors and he gave me propranolol, so help with anxiety and migraines, but few days ago, my chest started hurting again, so i started panicing, and i could feel i was going down the same road, i started to breathe into a paper bag which helped loads, tonight the same thing, my chest started hurting, so i start to panic! its going round in circles and all i can think about is when its going to happen next! the first one was so bad, so painful, and im getting worried that im going to become a frequent sufferer, i wouldn't be able to handle it! im such a negative/worried person. shall i go back to doctors? thanks x

mandie
11-06-08, 22:40
Hi

:welcome: to the site

Thats the thing with panic. Its a vicious circle. U get an attack and then u constantly think about getting another.

If i was you, then yes i would go back and see yr gp.

Maybe they will put u on something else. Or maybe ask about cbt. This is good for people with anxiety

love mandie x

Tom_M
11-06-08, 23:03
Hi sakara

The first panic attack can come out the blue. It could be just a chemical thing in the brain that triggers it, but once you experience one, you feel very vulnerable to having others. The pins and needles is just high blood alkalinity due to panicking. But the think to remember is that panic preys on your feeling of insecurity due to you not being able to control it the first time it happened. What you need to do is take the steam out of the fear of panic. It can only exist as long as you are frightened of it. Try to convince yourself that you will never come to any harm due to a panic attack, they can't hurt you in any way, really! It's only the fear of them that is the real fear.

Tom

gemmy
12-06-08, 07:53
Hi Sakara
:welcome: The first thing you have to remember is a panic attack wont hurt you i promise, At the time it fells like hell on earth ,maybe go and see your gp and see what they say like Tom sais once you have one you are vunerable to another attack, Stay positive and and dont think too much of them i know its very hard..
good luck gemmy:yesyes:

milly jones
12-06-08, 11:21
hi sakara

welcome to nmp

the others are right they cant hurt u but it is so scarey

i try to slow my breathing, and drink cool water which helps me.

cbt will teach u not to avoid situations and face ur fears in a controlled way

i would suggest a frank discussion with ur gp too

milly xx

chalky
12-06-08, 18:58
Hi Sakara,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Our Anxiety loves to feed itself.The worry of the next attack affects us more and more until we worry ourselves into another panic.Learning to recognise your symptoms for what they are is Step One.Step Two is learning to respond properlyto these-check the How To Cope section of the Main Menu.
Do call in with your GP-Panics can be caused by health issues which can be easily treated.
Best wishes,
Chalky