PDA

View Full Version : im an old hand at this.

tigger1964
12-06-08, 13:33
Hi,

I have suffered from agrophobia and panic attacks since the age of 18, and i know what i should be doing to get over this bad patch i have been having since october last year, i feel like its all going really bad again. The thoughts im have are bizarre and the total lack of control i have over my breathing at the moment, is causing me so much distress, i feel so isolated and i dont want to trouble anyone to much cos i really have done all the tablets, courses, and therapies there is but this time, since october i feel so ashamed and embarassed especially infront of my youngest daughter whos 9 and hasnt ever seen me like this, HELP!!! i really do feel im losing it, i even thought i was having an asthma attack last night cos i was coughing and i couldnt catch my breath for a few seconds which resulted in me waking my partner up and freaking out yet again.

milly jones
12-06-08, 13:40
tigger

u need to talk to someone about this hun if its causing u so much distress

theres no need to feel embarrassed or ashamed this is an illness like any other that can be treated.

as to ur daughter, my son is 11 and for the past 3 years has lived with sa and gad.

he knows most things about it and how to help. i believe that if children are mature enough to take it they should know as it hopefully will help future generations lose the stigma of mental health difficulties.

i suppose uve read the website and looked at old threads to gain relief?

take care, we all understand

milly xx

The Fool
12-06-08, 16:06
nic can you move this thread to panic attaks please i think it would be more apropriate and have more attention there

charli

Cathy V
12-06-08, 16:17
Hi tigger, like milly says children are stronger than we give them credit for. Ive had health anx and PAs for many years on and off, and my children have grown up with it im afraid. its not ideal but its part of life sometimesand we cant always protect them as we'd like to. I do know that its made mine more aware of mental health issues and thats got to be a goodthing right?

We find it hard enough to cope with this anxiety without the added stress that we might be upsetting someone, but i do knw that its hard to think that our kids see us in such a pathetic state, coz we're meant to be the strong ones....ther for them, and we are when we can be so please dont be too hard on yourself.

Best wishes
cathy xxx :)

eeyorelover
12-06-08, 18:52
nic can you move this thread to panic attaks please i think it would be more apropriate and have more attention there

charli

Thread moved :)

chalky
12-06-08, 19:22
Hi Tigger,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Whilst it is natural for us to feel shame- given our personalities-you have enough to deal with,without putting the pressure of unnecessary and unwarranted self citicism on yourself.The reality is that you are a sick person trying to get well not a bad person trying to get good.If it was your best friend suffering,I am sure you would be supportive and caring.So be like that with yourself.
Recovery starts with taking action and you are doing that in coming here.
Keep believing in yourself.
Best wishes
Chalky

tigger1964
03-07-08, 10:32
Hi,

Thanks To Everyone Who Replied.

tigger1964
23-07-08, 12:20
I joined this organisation not that long ago, and i just want to thank eveyone for all the useful advice that its given me. I managed a weekend away and it was really hard and lots of panics happened but i kept going and its the best thing i have done to try an combat my latest set back. I armed myself with all the crutches possible, paper bag, elastic band on my wrist to ping myself when neg thots entered my head, i down copied of the site the how to cope section. It all really helped me. Although when we got back i was shattered and the following day my anxiety has rose again, but it soon subsided with my new positive attitude. Dont know why i am writing it but im so pleased with myself and the effort i put in, maybe i just want to encourage others to get out there and try it for themselves. Im so confident that im trying it again in a few weeks time, the way i see it, ive learnt to escape from situations that make me so very anxious, so now im going to train myself to cope all over again, i have got loads of work to put in and i now feel able to cope much better than i did before. Think what im trying to say is thanks to all. p.s. i have found that the games on here help distract me when im really anxious just incase anyone else feels that may help them regards and good health to you all

Nechtan
23-07-08, 18:29
Feeling ashamed and embarassed is something I know all about. Although we shouldn't feel that way it is impossible not to.

That is really great that you got away for a weekend. The longest I've been out of the house in the last 2 years is about 20-25 minutes. Even that was only a couple of times. To get away for a whole weekend is something you should be really proud of and whenever you are getting down remind yourself of what you have proved you are capable of.