PDA

View Full Version : So nervous and getting annoyed :(

MissChampers
12-06-08, 13:54
I know this sounds so stupid but i'm getting myself all worked up about it.
To cut a long story short, I bought a guitar at Christmas and have been teaching myself how to play. Anyway, a friend of a friend has offered to give me proper tuition so tonight is my first lesson and apparently i'm his first ever pupil. Since I spoke to him on Saturday to arrange it i've been a bag of nerves ever since and it's just getting worse as i've only got another 4 hours until I go to his house. I keep telling myself to stop being stupid but I can't stop my heart thumping and my palms from sweating just thinking about it. I'm scared i'm going to start paniking in front of him and make a total show of myself then end up walking out. I've even thought of just not going but this is something I really want to do and i'll be so annoyed and disappointed in myself if I don't do it. Maybe I should have a couple of Valium or a couple of drinks before I go to try and calm me down. I've tried doing breathing exercises but they don't seem to work for me, has anyone got any suggestions of how i'm going to through this please? I feel like such an idiot for getting worked up over something so trivial but If I don't do it I might as well not bother getting out of bed again. I've always been anxious since I was 19 (i'm 36 now) and it seems to be getting worse as I get older. I had to give my job up last year because of the panic attacks and I also feel uncomfortable with standing in queues, going to the dentist and the hairdressers, basically anywhere where I feel I might lose control. :weep:

amandaj
12-06-08, 14:43
hi you are def not alone im getting worse older i get also , im not really sure what to say but i hope tonight goes well

amandax

MissChampers
12-06-08, 15:12
hi you are def not alone im getting worse older i get also , im not really sure what to say but i hope tonight goes well

amandax

Thanks! I know it's a pain isn't it..I just wish I knew why i've always been a nervous wreck.

Lilith1980
12-06-08, 15:13
Hi Miss Champers

Do you know why you feel nervous hun? Is it just about panicking in front of him or are you worried that you will make mistakes or that he wont think you are any good?

I wouldnt recommend drinks beforehand though - I've done that before playing guitar at a gig and I dont think I played too well lol :)

Just try and relax and enjoy it hun. You started learning guitar because you obviously enjoyed it, this is just an extension of that :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

MissChampers
12-06-08, 15:20
Hi Miss Champers

Do you know why you feel nervous hun? Is it just about panicking in front of him or are you worried that you will make mistakes or that he wont think you are any good?

I wouldnt recommend drinks beforehand though - I've done that before playing guitar at a gig and I dont think I played too well lol :)

Just try and relax and enjoy it hun. You started learning guitar because you obviously enjoyed it, this is just an extension of that :hugs:

Jo xxxxx

Thanks for replying Jo..Yes I guess it is, worrying about making mistakes and looking stupid though I know I shouldn't because I'm a total beginner. It's the same with everything that puts me on the spot like interviews, I just feel uncomfortable then I can feel myself getting worked up. I think it's all down to self esteem and confidence with me yet funny enough people think i'm a confident person but i'm not.

milly jones
12-06-08, 15:24
hey we all make mistakes im the queen in nmp for that lol

you are going to make mistakes, u are learning a new skill

i envy u that u have a need for a hobby, im still at the no joy in anything phase

grasp the opportunity with both hands and take a deep breath and enjoy it

let us know how it goes

milly xx

MissChampers
12-06-08, 15:27
hey we all make mistakes im the queen in nmp for that lol

you are going to make mistakes, u are learning a new skill

i envy u that u have a need for a hobby, im still at the no joy in anything phase

grasp the opportunity with both hands and take a deep breath and enjoy it

let us know how it goes

milly xx

Thanks Milly you're right..If it wasn't for me quitting my job and having spare time on my hands I would never have bought the guitar in the first place..I guess I've got to thank anxiety for something.

kazzie
12-06-08, 15:35
Hi Miss:D

All you can do is relax and try and enjoy it.....I bet once you arrive after 10 mins you will feel at ease:yesyes:

I had to go somewhere today to meet a stranger and within 10 mins we were chatting like we had known each other for ages but before hand I was a wreck:doh:

And how cool to be able to play the guitar as well:shades:

Luv Kaz x:hugs:

MissChampers
12-06-08, 15:40
Hi Miss:D

All you can do is relax and try and enjoy it.....I bet once you arrive after 10 mins you will feel at ease:yesyes:

I had to go somewhere today to meet a stranger and within 10 mins we were chatting like we had known each other for ages but before hand I was a wreck:doh:

And how cool to be able to play the guitar as well:shades:

Luv Kaz x:hugs:

Thanks Kaz and well done for being able to chat to the stranger.:yesyes: You are right, i'll probably be fine after a few minutes, and I was thinking he may be nervous too as i'm his first pupil.:)

Cathy V
12-06-08, 15:46
Hi there, and you said you were his first pupil so he could be a bag of nerves too:scared15: but not sure if that makes you feel better or worse. Lets know if you went!

To the girls whove answered this post so far:
D'you know, reading these replies made me think how great this support group is. Its gone from the 1st post where a very nervous young woman was thinking of all the negatives about this guitar lesson, and probably wouldn't have gone if she only had herself to listen to, but then in comes the support and all the ppl who replied made her feel positive enough to go through with it....how cool is that? :D

Take care all
Cathy xxx

MissChampers
12-06-08, 15:50
Hi there, and you said you were his first pupil so he could be a bag of nerves too:scared15: but not sure if that makes you feel better or worse. Lets know if you went!

To the girls whove answered this post so far:
D'you know, reading these replies made me think how great this support group is. Its gone from the 1st post where a very nervous young woman was thinking of all the negatives about this guitar lesson, and probably wouldn't have gone if she only had herself to listen to, but then in comes the support and all the ppl who replied made her feel positive enough to go through with it....how cool is that? :D

Take care all
Cathy xxx

Lol I suppose it makes me feel better knowing he may be nervous too..I know he sounded nervous on the phone last Saturday as I was too.

You're right about the great support here, I feel much better now and I know when I walk in there tonight feeling nervous I will be thinking about all your positive replies...Thanks everyone! :yesyes:

mlondon
12-06-08, 17:59
My advise is to call him and tell him about your anxiety, maybe make a joke of it, say 'so if i scarper its not coz of you or coz you smell bad'. Once you have told someone how you might react or how you are feeling it reducing the anxiety a lot I find.