PDA

View Full Version : pill phobia

gtrgrl3369
12-06-08, 14:35
Does anyone here have a phobia about taking meds? Im not really scared of the meds, it is the fear of an allergic reaction. I also have this about food too. I am scared to try anything that I havent tried before just in case I am allergic to it. I have been prescribed meds for my dizziness and am scared to take them even though they might help. I wont try any new foods fo fear of a reaction. I also have insomnia and have meds for this but for my fear I wont take them. Anyone who suffers rom this and can help, please do. Thanks.....:winks:

emma81
13-06-08, 13:28
Hiya

Yes i have this medication phobia too. I suffer with depression/anxiety and agoraphobia and about 5 yrs ago i had a really bad bout of depression where i was on so many different tablets- anti d's - antipsychotics - sleeping tablets etc etc and it would never bother me at all - i just took them. If i had a headache id get a painkiller.

Then about a year ago i'd say - i went back onto citalopram (anti-depressant) and those 1st few days it made me feel really weird, a lot more anxious, shaky, my heart felt like it was palpitating but it did go away after a few days. Then after id been on them a couple of months my GP told me to increase the dose as he couldnt see my mood improving - and thats when i became aware of this medication phobia - i came home and didnt increase the dose i think for me its because of a fear of side effects. Well that was about 10 months ago and i remain on the starting dose of the citalopram - my agoraphobia and panicking has got so bad that he gave me diazepam to relax me 3 months ago and i still havent opened the box. Even something that could help me and make me feel relaxed and take away this horrible panic for a while - i still wont take them.

So your not alone - i cant say any words of wisdom to help because i cant help myself at the moment sorry - but if you ever want to chat about it feel free to send me a message,

Emma :hugs:

jodie
13-06-08, 13:39
hiya

i am just the same wont take any meds at all for anything for fear of what they will do ect ,i read all the iinfo you get with them then put them away with all the rest i have got over the years lol
have you told your doc about it mabe he can get you some help ect

jodie xxx

Cathy V
13-06-08, 13:57
Yes im a bit like this too. I was on lorazepam (ativan) many years ago and had such a bad experience on them and then withdrawing from them that i vowed id never take anything like them again. If the anx ever came back id buy herbals instead and try to get through it with these. When i first hit teh menopause i was given HRT but refused to take them, and fortunately got through it without too much trouble.

Then last year i was given betablockers for migraine and high BP and so now im back in the loop of meds again, complete with side effects and anxiety. They cause more probs than they solve sometimes. I know that alot of ppl swear by their meds and couldnt have made recovery without them, but equally alot of others say they have nothing but probs with them.

Maybe you could try going down the herbal route, there are quite a few around for anxiety, just a case of finding the one that suits you best. I found some pills called NaturaCalm that were good, and alot of ppl on nmp use Rescue Remedy and say thats pretty good too.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx

Zingara
13-06-08, 14:20
I really struggle with taking anything I haven't taken before. Like Jodie, I scare myself reading the info leaflets. If they mention vomiting as one of the possible side-effects (and pretty much everything does!) then I get too scared to take them. I am ok with my present meds because I have taken them on and off for some time, and I know I'm not allergic, but I just can't take anything new at the moment. I get a little anxious every time I take my tablets, just in case I have developed an allergy in the previous 24 hours!
I also get nervous about new foods (I am emetophobic) and tend to stick to 'safe' foods. So I'm in the same boat! x