PDA

View Full Version : Clinging

Bill
13-06-08, 02:10
To cling or not to cling?........is it a virtue or a weakness???

I think it depends on your perspective and who you ask.

Who uses the phrase most....."You cling too much"?
I think you'll find it's people who enjoy their freedom and independence because the people who feel insecure like ourselves like to know someone is always there for us.

Therefore, to someone who needs attention, to them, someone who "clings" would probably be considered as a virtue but someone who enjoys their freedom would probably call it a weakness. It's these people who then accuse us so then we feel bad about ourselves that we want their attention.

However, I think it's also a question of striking the right balance between wanting to be there for someone and allowing them freedom.

I can remember how my father used to feel bad about leaving my mother on her own or not doing more for her when he didn't feel up to it. My mother though actually enjoyed some time to herself and wanted my father to get out so he could enjoy himself. They were both there for each other though. Both cared and wanted to be with each other but both enjoyed time to themselves. I think though it was my father who felt more guilty about leaving my mother on her own because he hated being on his own himself so I guess it makes us feel that the one we love would also hate being on their own when they don't. My mother used to say that when he was out the way she could get on with jobs!!!

I think the word "clinging" is a harsh word used by people who don't understand why people feel the need to be with someone and to care for them. I'd rather say you "care Too much".

When I was in my teens I used to try and give my mother a hug but she always pushed me away because it made her feel uncomfortable. I'm not sure why though except that she's always been shy and not an overly affectionate woman. She'd only hug any of us if she hadn't seen any of us for a long time but never on a daily basis. She did tell me though that she was afraid to give me the affection I wanted because she didn't want to "mother" me.

They say we're attracted to partners who are like our parents so ironically my wife is like my mother in that respect, never needing or wanting affection. Strange how life works out.

Anyway, my parents were together for nearly 60 years before we lost my father. Just like all marriages they had their ups and downs but they had a Very strong Loving bond and that kept them together through all the problems they faced. They were always there for each other.

When my father became ill, this bond really showed and my mother cared for him to the bitter end. They both knew they were losing each other but their bond and understanding kept them strong. I did what I could to support my mother but to protect me, she'd often say to let her care for my father so I didn't have to watch him suffer too much. She has amazing strength and she admitted that she thought she wouldn't still be around herself after the pain she went through.

I know that I would rather have someone care about me Too much and to cling to me because then also I feel needed by Them. When we're ill, we need someone to cling to and for someone to cling to us so I can't see clinging or caring too much as a weakness but as a virtue.:hugs:

milly jones
13-06-08, 12:08
i would love someone to need me so much that they wanted to cling to me

caring too much can only be a virtue to me

your parents truely had strength bill, in their love for each other

it is good that u are there for her now too, as she is for u

love

milly x

Franz
13-06-08, 13:15
I think though it was my father who felt more guilty about leaving my mother on her own because he hated being on his own himself so I guess it makes us feel that the one we love would also hate being on their own when they don't. My mother used to say that when he was out the way she could get on with jobs!!!

There've been a few times, especially when I was younger, when I was in a bit of a bad mood and made it clear I wanted to be alone, and my dad got really wound up about it - he seemed to think I was being self-destructive. He literally couldn't imagine that someone might find solitude therapeutic.

Also I think he felt offended that I apparently didn't "need" him - which wasn't true. However it is unreasonable to expect other people to be dependent on ourselves and not to allow them a life of their own.

I think we need to be honest with ourselves about our motivation: love is a real thing, but it is mixed up with the need to be needed and accepted, and the need to have a focus for our emotions outside ourselves.

I think the word "clinging" is a harsh word used by people who don't understand why people feel the need to be with someone and to care for them. I'd rather say you "care Too much".But I do think we should be honest about what it is we care about. Is it just the other person, or is it also our own security?

To take it to the extreme level, if I care for someone who doesn't want me to care for them, my caring is really selfish, because I'm not thinking about what /they/ need at all. I'm not seeing them as they are, but merely as a focus for my own nurturing instincts.

When I have been really depressed I've sometimes become too attached to particular people and expected far too much of them, without their ever having made any promises to justify my expectations. Conversely, I've experienced other people getting too attached to me, wanting me always to be there for them and to banish their loneliness and deny myself my independence. So I've seen it from both sides. I think the trick is to develop a capacity for /empathy/ with other people alongside love for them. We shouldn't just assume that what /we/'d want in a particular situation is what other people want; we should try to understand others, not simply to love them.

Lilith1980
13-06-08, 16:54
But I do think we should be honest about what it is we care about. Is it just the other person, or is it also our own security?

I agree with Francis' point - my clingyness stemmed from my own insecurities and it wasn't healthy. I guess that is different from if you genuinely want to be with someone all the time.

But in a relationship, you're not just a whole, you are two individuals. You need to have your own space, your own time. I have learnt this and as my confidence has grown, I enjoy my own company a lot more and don't feel even half as clingy as I used to be.

I think having someone who loves you and shows affection is different from clingyness. If you love someone, I believe you should give them the space to be their own person. If you have the confidence, you will want to be your own person too.

Jo xxxxx

Hope 2
14-06-08, 02:30
Hello Folks

Clinging to another can be very damaging.

It is not necessarily about one person's way of showing deep love to another. As we know clinging to someone can drive them away for various reasons. I think it can be easy to forget how difficult it can be for the person who is being clung to.

Francis mentions 'motivation' and 'selfishness'. These are precisely the reasons I left a relationship. The dependant partner was in fact motivated for their own gain and behaved selfishly towards me. This is what I mean when, from my experience, that a clingy person can cause another damage. Also I find some people use anxiety etc to mask/excuse their mean behaviour and outrageous expectations of others. But don't expect them to see it though. Do expect them to blame you for letting them down by not giving them what they say they need.

Cheerio, Hope xx

marie1974
14-06-08, 09:30
i agree with alot of the above, if 2 people trully love each other and one needs support with something then they tend to be a alittle clingy and thats fine because as a loving couple they are being there to support each other.

the wrong kind of clingy is when one partner is using the other as a crutch and leaning on them for there own needs and therefore making the other person feel pressure of "what will happen if i want to leave" "im not happy but how can i leave" "he/she wont cope" etc. this isnt love it is selfish and needy and must get very claustrophobic for the other person.
i trully think people should only be together in love if they trully are in l,ove with each other, and support each other and also have confidence to be your own person too, if this is not the case in a relationsip and one party is acting on there own needs and feeling and not really there cos they are trully in love, but cos they want to feel needed etc then the relationship will fail because one of the party will go elsewhere for support and love and fun and excitement etc and therefore the clingy relationship will either keep going but not be true to themselves or it will end. well thats my view on it everyone, but i guess we are all different. hugs all xxxx