PDA

View Full Version : Really need some help with my agoraphobia

emma81
13-06-08, 13:07
Hi everyone

I hope this isnt going to be too long but i have so much i want to 'get out'. I've been diagnosed with agoraphobia for about 3 years now which has gradually gotten worse over time. I'm now at a point where i can go about a 5 minute walk with my dogs but i'm pretty much housebound. I can no longer visit my friends or family who all only live a short distance away as i cannot stand being 'trapped' anywhere - even at my own mum's. I end up in a huge panic if i have to stay anywhere for more than 5 or 10 minutes the panic just mounts until i feel like im going to go crazy i just have to run away and get out of there. Same for shops, i wont go in them as i cant handle being in the queues.

Recently my dad had a heart attack and complications from it meant things got very serious for a while. He was in intensive care and for a few days things were looking very bleak like he might not pull through. The hospital was 1 hour away and there was no way i could go. My mum was really understanding but it kept making me think in those few days - omg this could be this last time i ever get a chance to see my dad and this stupid phobia has taken over my life. Thankfully he is now starting to recover.

Secondly i had my own health scare last week where i was getting agonizing pains in my calf muscle - i phoned nhs direct and because i smoke, am on the pill and dont take much exercise there was all this concern about a dvt in my leg... Go to the hospital for the blood test they kept saying and my local hospital is only 5 mins away by car but there was no way i could go. My fiance was going mad as at the time it all seemed very serious and he's shouting at me saying this could be something life threatening and i just couldnt go, kept saying it would be fine it wouldnt be a dvt. Well the pain is still there and im telling everyone its not just so i dont need to go.

I had a cpn who did cbt and exposure work with me but after a few weeks of exposure work i said i couldnt do it anymore - it terrified me. So now i have just got an appointment through to see a 'consultant neuropsychologist' for treatment but its not til the 4th of july and i need to go to her which im so scared of. Thankfully its only round the corner so i might be able to do it but im really scared that once i have been in there 5 mins i will need to keep leaving.

I have slowly come to realise over the past 3 years that there are so many different places, situations, etc i can say im scared of - but i know now it is none of these - i am scared of panicking and i will avoid any situation which i believe may trigger a panic attack. When i am in a calmer state of mind i know that a panic attack wont kill me, but when i am in the midst of a panic attack there is nothing anyone can say or do to make me believe it. For 3 long years i have learned that they happen any time any place with no warning and now im not just scared - i am absolutely terrified of them. My cpn took a lot of time to try and make me understand its just my body's reaction - fight or flight - she got me to stay in situations for 5 mins, 10 mins and so on to try and show me that the feelings of panic will start to subside after a while. I understand the theory of agoraphobia very well now - i just cant believe it when it is happening. I read about a lot of people here who feel ok when they are with a 'safe person' but i dont feel safe with anyone not even my fiance. I know he would never force me to do or stay somewhere i wanted to get away from, but actually i prefer to try and do things on my own where i am in full control and can listen to myself and my feelings - i can turn back when i want to and wont have anyone saying just try another few minutes etc...

I just feel so trapped in this existence and there are many days where i feel like ive had enough of it all. 18 months ago we set a date for our wedding for august 2nd this year - thinking that was loads of time for me to get better - last week we cancelled it all. Another thing just to remind me of how much of a mess i am. We lost our 1st baby to stillbirth last year and are desperate to try again but i just wont because right now i know i wouldnt be able to get to the hospital for scans, antenatal or anything :(

Sorry this post is so long i really just needed to get a lot of it out but if anyone has any words of wisdom it would be really appreciated.

P.S. I take citalopram but will not increase the dose even though my doctor wants me to because i have another phobia of medication. Also i have been given a low dose of diazepam to help me relax a little but i got them 3 months ago and still havent opened the packet because im convinced they will make me panic more.

gtrgrl3369
13-06-08, 13:26
I am really sorry that you are suffering so much. I work full time and haveto force myself to got to work everyday and fight throught the panic. It hasnt killed me yet. My is the floating feeling in my head whre I feel like Im going to fall over. I do feel safer in my safe place but yet I know if I dont face something everyday it will only get worse. I also suffer from fear of meds so I cant help you there. I do feel that you really need to see the doctor for the pain in your leg. It will be scary but take a small dose of meds before you go. Panic sucks bad. When your husband is yelling I think it is out of fear for you. Remember that breathing right also helps. It hasnt killed us yet, it just feels like it...:shades:

karen34
14-06-08, 10:32
i can totally relate to what you are saying as i have been there...for me things arent too bad at the moment as i am able to get out for some shopping or a drs appoinment when with a friend ...i know what you mean about new medication but once you have taken 1 or 2 you will see that nothing is going to happen and it should make you feel a bit better once they start working, as for your citalopram if your dr has sugested upping the dose think of it like you already take that so you no nothing bad is happening, i know it is hard but once you start taking them maybe you wont feel as bad.

big hugs karen x