PDA

View Full Version : Gi Diet

dizzyd
17-04-05, 18:38
Hi everyone, Meg suggested I share my experience of th GI Diet with you so here I am -
First a brief explanation of what it is - Gi stands for Glycaemic Index which is a medical term for measuring the speed at which various foods in our digestive system break down into glucose - and this is the body's source of energy. Glucose is rated as GI =100, all other foods are calculated against that index. eg Cornflakes is rated as 77, porridge is 42 as it digests slower.
The aim of the Gi diet is to keep the blood sugar levels in our bodies at an even level throughout the day.
In her book 'Coping with Panic Attacks' Shirley Trickett observed that blood taken from patients during a panic attack was on the lower end of the blood sugar level but NEVER actually below normal.
When blood sugar drops the adrenal glands above the Kidneys produce cortisone and adrenaline to make stored glucose in the Liver available for use. When these glands are continually harassed the condition known as adrenal exhaustion follows; the body is no longer able to deal with stress. Anxiety and panic attacks can arise from the nerve cells being continually deprived of nourishment.
[8)] Are you with me so far??????
If you want to read more I thoroughly recommend 'the Gi DIET' by Rick Gallop ISBN 0-7535-0918-0 and the accompanying book 'Living the Gi DIET' ISBN 0-7535-0882-6
I will follow this post with a typical day on the Gi diet - my progress - and hints and tips regarding the best foods to eat.
Remember this - The Gi diet has been proven to impact on people who either suffer from type ii diabetes or areat risk of developing it. It reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke. Increasing evidence shows that weight and diet are critical risk factors for most forms of cancer and a diet rich in vegetables, fruits and whole grains can prevent this. The Gi Diet encourages this style of eating.
It CAN greatly help Panic Attack Sufferers.
Will write soon again.
Love Dawn x

Longie
17-04-05, 19:20
hi dawn

this is something which interests me, as i was stressed before xmas, but then had a panic attack after i had been shopping,at the time i was very hungry and shaky, since that day my panic attacks returned big time

would be interested in your post
Jane

kairen
17-04-05, 19:23
I am very interested in this, and would love to know more about it, i will do anything to try and retain a nomal life, lol xxx

kairen x

dizzyd
17-04-05, 21:14
OK - here goes with some 'good' food facts......
Juice/Fruit - Always eat the fruit or veg reather than the juice. Juice is processed therefore more rapidly digested. (Even freeshly squeezed)
Cereals- Porridge (Large flake) is the best. It stays with you all morning. For cold cereals go for ones that have at least 10g fibre per serving.
Dairy - Skimmed milk is best. Low fat/no-fat yoghurt is a real plus. Cottage cheese is a [Yeah!](low fat)
Bread - Always use 100% wholemeal or wholegrain - 2.5 - 3 g fibre per slice. Stoneground is preferable.
Eggs - Omega-3 free range are the best.
Spreads - No butter, Diet flora is a best buy. non-hydrogenated soft margarine are acceptable- light versions even more so.
Bacon - Lean- back is ok
Coffee - Use decaf and never add sugar.
Potatoes - new boiled potatoes are GI = 56 Baking potatoes = 84
Pasta - Wholewheat pasta - taking up no more than a 1/4 of your plate
Rice - Basmati, wild, brown or long grain and no more than 50g (dry) per serving
Veg/Salad - This should be the backbone of your diet. Eat as much as you like. (Organic is best)
----Always eat three meals a day and up to three snacks a day.
Apples are FAB Beans = Can not get enough of- perfect food (exercise caution with baked beans as sauce can be high-fat/calorie)
Grapefruit - FAB - eat as much as you want.
Meat - Skinless chicken and turkey breast is best (free-range) top/eye round beef, pork tender -loin, deli cuts of lean ham and back bacon.
Nuts - A source of good fat especially almonds (12 per serving) a great snack (unsalted plain nuts)
Exercise - Common sense this one - An essential factor in building a fit body / mind.
- - - - - -Remember to always mash your food in the mouth not on your plate this makes the food take longer to digest---------------
++ Drink lots of water throughout the day [:P] ++
+ I really do encourage you to buy the books for recipe ideas and futher info +
[Wow!] Thats a lot of info !!!!!
Hope the above info encourages you to explore the Gi diet more - I can't rate it high enough
Love Dawn x

sal
17-04-05, 22:01
Hi Dawn

Thanks for that, sounds great. Will look up that book and also follow how you are getting on.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Lottie32
20-04-05, 23:08
Hi Dawn

I'm glad that you have found the GI diet helpful.

I was introduced to it through the site last year, and have the Rick Gallup books, which are very simply laid out.

Living the GI Diet has a really easy to read at a glance guide to foods - and lists them red, yellow and green. Red foods should be avoided or eaten infrequently, yellow are ok, but you should really try to eat as many green foods as possible.

This list is split into food types - Bread, cereals, dairy etc so it's really easy to use, and great if you are in a hurry.

Sometimes it is not possible to follow the diet to the letter, for example if eating out at a friends house, but the list of allowed green and yellow foods is great, so it's easy to fill up on "good foods" and omit or only have tiny portions of "bad foods". Eating pizza is not that bad for you, particularly if you have been following the diet during the rest of the day, and eat plenty of salad.

The GI diet stops those peaks and troughs that get you reaching for a bar of chocolate to combat the mid afternoon tiredness. And whilst eating the chocolate bar will curb your immediate sugar dip, it will not last for long, and leave you in the same state a short while later.

Longie - you would definitely find this beneficial. When I'm out and about I always carry a small pot of mixed nut and fruits, a bottle of water and a banana or an apple. I pick at the nuts during the day, and a banana is really easy to eat walking down the street one handed whilst carrying a handful of shopping.

If you can, try and carry something with you at all times. If this is not possible, don't be tempted to pop into the nearest shop and buy a mars or a bag of crisps, get a piece of fruit instead. Most health food shops sell small bags of dried fruit and nuts, and I noticed that our local Boots now sells handy ready to eat bags of dried fruits - the blueberries are lovely, and nuts. (And our Boots is really little, so if they have them there, they will have them anywhere).

I've taken a leaf out of Megs book. Bags of assorted nuts are quite expensive in the supermarket so I go to the local health food shop and buy individual items in bulk and mix my own to taste (this way you can avoid anything you don't like, and make sure there are plenty of yummy things that you do like). As a special treat, I sometimes include Carob drops (not GI, but mixed with the rest you can be fooled into thinking you're eating chocolate!)

My blood sugar is naturally very low anyway, and I used to feel terrible, like I was about to suffer a panic attack at anytime until I learnt to tell the difference between true terror and lack of food! Sometimes this is hard to do.

Dawn is right about eating regularly. Try if possible to plan ahead, particularly if you are at work, so that you have a yoghurt and some fruit to snack on mid morning, and aren't tempted to visit the canteen in the middle of the morning for a danish to go with your coffee.

I like to think of the GI diet as more of a lifestyle change, and the main courses in Rick Gallops books are lovely, Thai Chicken Curry - yum yum.

I hope that the diet makes a difference to you Dawn, and would tell everybody else to give it a go - once you get into it, it's really easy, eat the last of those biscuits, cakes etc, and next time you go shopping, only buy what is on the list!

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

rhowes2000
21-04-05, 10:18
On Meg's advice I bought the GI diet book and I have literally started it just now with a bowl of all bran. i read the book and I certainly think it can help me with pa's and I will hopefully lose weight too. I'll let you all know how I get on

tattybear
21-04-05, 10:52
Good Luck with the GI Diet.....

Ive deicided to also try is as any thing is worth a go to help with anxiety / PA's.

Let me know how you find it [^]

Tatty B xx

mojo5
26-04-05, 11:03
Hi All

I Agree - Attention to what you eat does have a major impact on your wellbeing.

It was one of the areas I addressed when trying to combat my anxiety and I can say that eating the right kinds of foods (ie low GI / Slow burning Stuff) regularly through the day has had a positive on my physical AND psychological state.

Good Luck.

Mojo.