PDA

View Full Version : update

jennie
24-11-03, 15:58
Hi

just thought I'd update you on how I'm doing.

I started getting panic attacks about 6 weeks ago, the first one happened at night just as I was trying to get off to sleep. So from there on in for about the last 5 weeks or so, I've had constant anxiety as soon as the evening kicks in, worrying that I may have another panic attack (I tried hypnotic tapes but couldn't seem to concentrate on them).

Anyway, at first I would go to bed at my usual time and just lie there in bed fighting off the waves of anxiety and panic until I gradually fell to sleep (which would take ages) and I'd wake up feeling terrible.

I don't do that now and have taken positive steps to avoid an attack.
I really wind down before bedtime, have cammomile tea, read, have a bath, I take Bachs flower remedy, (I've even treated myself to neck face and head massages which I feel have really helped). I have to stay up until I can really no longer keep my eyes open (even if it's 2.00am!), then I go up to bed and usually am straight off into the land of nod, most of time sleeping straight through until the morning - avoiding an attack - which makes me feel very positive in the mornings. I have broken the routine a few times and the panic feelings kick in as soon as I just lie there and let my mind wander, so I have to stay patient and keep up my routine.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that this is what I have to deal with now every night now for as long as the attacks take to go/pass. I don't know when they will go but I believe that if I stick to a real winding down routine in the evening and make sure that I don't lay in bed and let my mind wander, then I can usually get a semi-decent nights sleep - and that in itself will hopefully break the cycle of these anxiety/panic feelings.

Most importantly, I'm coping which is the main thing and gradually learning what 'feeds the dragon' and what doesn't.

Yesterday (sunday) I had a few panic 'waves'(didn't go into a full attack) and stayed a bit anxious all evening but got a good nights sleep thankfully. This morning on the bus into work, I had another panic feeling - I don't know what brought this on as I only usually get attacks at night - but thinking back to Saturday night I went to a party and drank quite a bit of red wine. I haven't been drinking much in general because I feel that it's fueling as oppose to helping my attacks (even though it does make me feel quite relaxed). So, I think I'm going to really really try to cut down on drinking altogether to see what happens.

I've been on a beta blocker a day (80mg) for the last 2 weeks which I'm sure is helping me and I've got another 2 weeks left of them, so I'm hoping if I stick to my bedtime routine, really cut out the alcohol, and also keep going to the gym, I will eventually break the cycle of these attacks.

I feel positive which is the main thing.

Love Jenniex

jennie

diana
24-11-03, 23:18
Hiya Jennie,

Kudos to you!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work. You sound so much more positive right now. So glad you are finding ways to break the cycle.
Keep us posted on all your achievements. You are doing great, keep it up, and keep learning.

Love,

Diana xxx