PDA

View Full Version : old to anxiety, new to meds - citalopram

clutterbug
14-06-08, 00:00
Hi Everyone,

I'm 42 years old, and have suffered from various forms of mild anxiety since I was about six years old. I am SO glad that I found this forum. I have been lurking for a bit, but, decided to introduce myself. I recently had a complete anxiety meltdown. I have been working on my Master's degree, working two jobs and raising my daughter. My mother-in-law has been recently diagnosed with lymphoma, the most aggressive type, and is going to needing a stem cell transplant.

Basically, something had to give and it was me. I have depression/anxiety, not sure which came first, but, I can't seem to shake it on my own. My doc put me on citalopram about one week ago. He also prescribed xanax, but, I don't want to take that. The side effects from the citalopram for me are diarrhea, slight dizziness/wobbliness, headache, loss of appetite, maybe a little sleepy. After all of that, I can honestly say that it is better than I had been feeling. I'm going to stick it out.

It has helped immeasurably to know that there are others out there who are feeling the same way as me.

Thanks everyone!
clutterbug :blush:

DeniseB
14-06-08, 01:09
:welcome: Clutterdug x

We do take the weight of the world at times _ and like you say something has to give!! Just remeber that you have dealt with this for a long time and you know what can help you feel better :) :)

Family stress, kids, in laws et al make us worry - my auntie once told me that however much we worry it does not change things! We need to take the good with the bad and know things will ease eventually x

Keep posting Clutter

Denise x

Patty
14-06-08, 11:11
Hi Clutterbug,:)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here. All the best xx:bighug1:

1nonblonde
14-06-08, 11:15
HI im also new- also working and studying so know what thats like!

1nonblonde x x x

milly jones
14-06-08, 16:18
hi clutterbug

too much going on in my life made me crack with anxiety too.

i too am on citalopram but the hospital are tinkling with the dose to get it right. the symptoms arent nice at first but anything is better to fix the anxiety

welcome to nmp

love

milly xx

chalky
14-06-08, 16:30
Hi Clutterbug,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

clutterbug
14-06-08, 17:08
Thank you so much. I've already found it such a huge help. I was having so many weird symptoms; hands/feet/everything twitching and jerking, numbess tingling, vibrating, and the most severe insomnia that I've ever experienced. I thought for sure I was going to end up as an inpatient. My family doc was starting to get tired of me, finally prescribing seraquel (sp?) for sleep. I never did take it. In fact, the office forgot to call it in anyway.

He told me to quit the citalopram when it initially made my anxiety worse. I decided to stick with it out of desperation. I think it was a good decision. It's been about a week save for the 2 says I went off of it. The side effects really stink, but, the alternative isn't so hot either.

I *think* I'm starting to feel better, but at the same time I'm also afraid to think it. I am sleeping a bit more and that's a bonus.
Thank you all for the warm welcome, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

xo,
clutterbug

Nibbles
15-06-08, 17:52
Hi Clutterbug and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I'm glad you're starting to feel better after going through such a tough time and hope we can be of help.

Take care,

Mike :)

Lindalou64
17-06-08, 02:48
Hello Clutterbug And Welcome.....i Wish Ya Well.............linda

weeble40
17-06-08, 16:45
welcome to NMP hope to see you around sometime

Emma xxx