PDA

View Full Version : Elbows hurting when i carry stuff!!

jellybean43
14-06-08, 12:03
Hi
This is a totally different thing to what I normally worry about(you will all be pleased to know lol that it isnt another lymphoma question!!!!!!).
For the past year my elbows hurt when i carry heavy bags. I cant go to the supermarket alone and carry several shopping bags back like i used to as my elbows really hurt. This only lasts for a few hours/day after the event and the rest of the time they are fine.
What do you think this could be with?Up until about 18 months ago i used to go to the gym quite regularly so i am wondering if i have done some permanant damage with the rowing machine and stuff!!!
Thanks for any help.xxx

countrygirl
14-06-08, 23:13
My friend has this and although she doens't know exactly whats causing it she just assumes its because she has done alot of heavy work over the years as she has a small holding with animals. She just puts it down to wear and tear and a physio agreed with her.

I think it depends on how old you are - if your young then it needs checking out but if your a bit past your sell by date:) then its just getting older.

If you get any redness heat or swelling then see your Dr.

jellybean43
15-06-08, 09:59
LOL Yeah well not old really but old in terms of wear and tear stuff---nearly 44 so yep i think it must be down to wear and tear!!!!
Thanks for the reply xxx

lesleyB
15-06-08, 10:54
I get this too, my arms also shake and I can't lift them up for a while. Had it for years so can't be anything bad.
:yesyes:
Take care:hugs:
Lesleyb

JennyW
16-06-08, 10:13
Hi
This is a totally different thing to what I normally worry about(you will all be pleased to know lol that it isnt another lymphoma question!!!!!!).
For the past year my elbows hurt when i carry heavy bags. I cant go to the supermarket alone and carry several shopping bags back like i used to as my elbows really hurt. This only lasts for a few hours/day after the event and the rest of the time they are fine.
What do you think this could be with?Up until about 18 months ago i used to go to the gym quite regularly so i am wondering if i have done some permanant damage with the rowing machine and stuff!!!
Thanks for any help.xxx

Hi Jellybean. Sounds like tennis elbow to me. I get this too.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/tennis_elbow.html

When I used to keep horses, I found that carrying buckets of water around really made it sore, it's eased since selling my horse but I can still feel it if I carry heavy bags of shopping.

Thing it, it's very hard to get rid of because you cant really avoid lifting and carrying things so it can take a very long time to heal. You can have physio if you want, alterantively you can buy supports which strap around your forearm - near the elbow joint.

Wear and tear I'm afraid :unsure:

jellybean43
16-06-08, 13:30
Hi Jenny
Thanks for that---I dont normally look stuff up now but reading that is exactly what i have got and it all makes sense as i do spend wayyyy to much time on the computer. I do a lot of ebay and I love facebook(sad i know at my age but keep in touch with lots of my old friends!!!).
I am going to try and restrict the amount of time i spend on the internet and see if it starts to get better. Funnily enough my shoulder often aches and i see that is linked with it too---the shoulder compensating for the elbow!!!
Thanks again xxx

JennyW
17-06-08, 08:33
Hi Jenny
Thanks for that---I dont normally look stuff up now but reading that is exactly what i have got and it all makes sense as i do spend wayyyy to much time on the computer. I do a lot of ebay and I love facebook(sad i know at my age but keep in touch with lots of my old friends!!!).
I am going to try and restrict the amount of time i spend on the internet and see if it starts to get better. Funnily enough my shoulder often aches and i see that is linked with it too---the shoulder compensating for the elbow!!!
Thanks again xxx

yes the ligament gets over-used (rubs against the bone) and because ligaments don't get as much blood as muscles do, they take ages to heal. An ice pack is helpful as this will encourage blood to the area - say 15 minutes a day and the strap is very helpful. Boots sell them but you can get something similar on ebay. It needs to be the adjustable strap - this will tighten the area when fitted and stop the ligament moving too much. I always find painting irritates mine

DistantJ
25-06-08, 21:02
I'd try not to diagnose yourself with anything, Jellybean. :)

To those 'normal' non-anxious folks I envy so much, that's a matter of "ow my elbows hurt when I lift stuff", end of. We all get aches and pains in different places, sometimes which we never had before.

You say up until 18 months ago you went to the Gym, but understand that going to the Gym for a while then stopping doesn't mean that you're permanantly super strong - they say that it takes half the time you spent training to lose what you gained from it.