PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations and magnesium suppliments

Meltdown
14-06-08, 14:52
When reading about palpitations on the net, I came across several sites recommending magnesuim suppliments for palpitations, irregular heart-beats, etc. Apparently a lot of cardiologists recommend magnesium.

A book on stress I am reading aslo said that stress and adreneline burns up magnesium, and that people who are deficient in it may be prone to palpitations. It recommended taking 400mg magnesium daily for 2 months, reducing to 250mg with calcuim after that.

I have been taking 300mg Magnesuim Citrate (from Holland and Barratt) for 3 weeks now, and I have to say that the effect has been astonishing! I have gone from having about 10-20 palpiations a day to about 2 a week!

Of course this could all be a "placebo effect" but who cares!

decca
14-06-08, 15:04
Hi meltdown,
No it's not a placebo effect ,magnesium is know to have a regulating effect on the heart muscle but don't overdo the dosage as it's also used as a laxitive, an alternative would be a diet rich in green vegetables.
My Docs are advocates of Co enzime Q10 to help the heart especially if you also take any of the cholesterol reducing statin drugs.

Cheers
Decca.