PDA

View Full Version : Im ashamed and embarrassed to admit im scared.

Granny Primark
14-06-08, 22:03
Does family history really play apart in our lives?
Im passed me sell by date but im really young at heart. Im scared il in
herit me famlies genes.
me aunty, brain emoraorage 25, me other aunty brain ameorage 42. Me mum 60 heart attack.
Me dad age 66 alzeimers.
Omg that so scares me. I looked after him after mum had died. If was horrendous.
I remember hols with me and me family. We always had to make certain there was always someone with me dad. Hed go the toilet 10 mtres away and couldnt find his way back.
I remember when mum died and we had him living with us and id put him bed and hed call out " I dont know who you are but your bloody good to me"
Id beg him come the cemetry with us to put flowers on his wifes grave but he couldnt remember hed been married.
If i forget something now im so scared my dads illness is happening to me. Is that fear causing me so much anxiety that im forgetting things?

julieb
14-06-08, 22:13
oh lynn, try not to worry about it too much, i know what you mean my dad died young from heart probs having his first heart attack in his early fortiesi'm that age now and sometimes when im really anxious i get pains in my chest and where i could always reason it away sometimes now because of my age it makes me worry a little. i think sometimes the worrying harms you more than the thing itself. just you take care of yourself and try to relax. e all forget things as we get older i promise, im useless sometimes....... or is that just cuz im blonde!!!!! who knows :winks:

tayside lassie
15-06-08, 08:49
hiya lynn..i have the exact same fears as yourself lost my mum through dementia hers was caused by "mini strokes " the last year or so of her life she did not even know us she was always asking to go home ....now when i forget were ive put something or forget someones name i do get myself in a state ..ive mentioned it to docs and like you said ANXIETY/PANIC plays a big part in forgetfulness ..try not to worry lynn cause our family had what ever does not mean we will get it ..take care :hugs: :hugs:

sally

milly jones
15-06-08, 16:37
oh gp my love

anxiety causes such memory probs hun

i forget where ive parked the car and spend hours looking for it in carparks

i losse my keys unless ive put them back on the hook

i have to ring my mobile to find it

our brains get too full of the anxieties and the everyday mundane things just dont fit in there anymore and get lost

pls have a cht with ur gp to gain reassurance hun

love

millxxx

Granny Primark
15-06-08, 18:04
Thanks for your advice.
Im determined to keep my mind busy and occupied.
My dad was a clever person who was a semi proffessional singer. (sadly ive not inherited his voice, ive got a voice like a lark. pillark! lol)
When dad retired early cus of a back problem it was then we noticed his poor memory.
My mum had a saying "use it or lose it" hence I keep my mind busy by doing crosswords, wordsearch and games to test my memory.
I have noticed however that when im really anxious over something I forget where ive put things.
I think it could be that weve got so much were thinking about at the same time that makes us forget things.
Also since suffering with panic attacks im very aware of every sensation/feelings I get.
I think its cus im so in fear of having a panic attack. Its always at the back of my mind.

Liverbird67
15-06-08, 18:18
Oh lyn
sorry you are not feeling so good at the moment
you have been a brilliant help to me and lots of others on here with your sound advice and witty take on things.

Try not to worry yourself sick, I am terrified re forgetfulness but it is all part and parcel of the anxiety hun, our brains are overloaded and makes sure that we remember the really important things.
you are bound to be really sensitive re your dad's illness. If you are still concerned ask your G.P to refer you to the memory clinic (not sure how old you are hun so please don't be offended)

Thinking of you.

Love

Debbie

xxxxxxxxxxxxx