PDA

View Full Version : Hypoglycemia ?

n3r0x1k
15-06-08, 01:33
I've been worrying lately about hypoglycemia, and whether I had it or not. I went to the ER May 1st last month and my blood sugar was at 3.6 or 3.8 and then the nurse talked about "diabetic coma" and it kind of scared the hell out of me, although when I finally saw the doctor he said that a reading of 3.6 or 3.8 wasn't something that was to worry about.

But what I'm wondering, is since a good month and a half or 2 months, I OFTEN wake up in the morning with an aching stomach so much I'm hungry, and sometimes I can come back from somewhere in the day and I start getting shaky, more anxious and panicky, sometimes a bit of sweats and some other symptoms, and wondered if it would definately be hypoglycemia or maybe people can have blood sugar level drops without having hypoglycemia? And if it is hypoglycemia, is it something dangerous? Cuz I read it can be fatal if sugar levels drop too much.

Trixie
15-06-08, 06:10
'The normal range for blood sugar is about 3.5 - 6 mmol/l, depending on when the person last ate. In the fasting state, blood sugar can occasionally fall below 3.5 mmol/l and even to below 3.0 mmol/l and not indicate a serious abnormality or disease.
As read on internet.

I am sure if they were worried they would have arranged another appointment for you.

n3r0x1k
15-06-08, 06:25
'The normal range for blood sugar is about 3.5 - 6 mmol/l, depending on when the person last ate. In the fasting state, blood sugar can occasionally fall below 3.5 mmol/l and even to below 3.0 mmol/l and not indicate a serious abnormality or disease.
As read on internet.

I am sure if they were worried they would have arranged another appointment for you.

Thanks alot Trixie, really reassures me :)

Cathy V
15-06-08, 08:30
I think most ppl can wake feeling hungry if theyv slept for a full night without eating. Thats why the first meal is called Break-Fast. Its also normal for your blood sugar to fluxuate throughout the day depending on how much you eat, what kind of junkfoods you eat (sugary drinks, cakes and choc bars instead of food) and how much energy you use up. You can have low blood sugar without having any serious illness, it just means the 'engine' needs more fuel.

When someone with high anxiety gets this, the feelings of weakness comes from the muscles being in an almost constant state of tension, and they lose power and the energy needed to power them is zapped so when you eat something sweet it quickly redresses the balance. Eating only sweet things though will make the blood sugar peak and dip too much so try and eat sensibly if you can, and a small meal or snack every few hours throughout the day, and just before bed should keep it more balanced.

My daughter carries some glucose tabs or an isotonic drink or lucozade around for when she feels like this. Shes not diabetic but low blood sugar 'attacks' run in our family, and common to ppl on nmp too. Try not to worry about them too much.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :)

tayside lassie
15-06-08, 09:07
hiya ..my neice has been diabectic for 20 years and is insulin dependent her blood sugars have fallen as low as 1.3 when at that stage she acts like she is drunk or on drugs/does silly things/says silly things /thinks she is somewhere else when shes actually in her own house ..when diabectics are like this they have to eat something quickly check bloods then keep eating till bloods go up if that fails its warm tea/water with 6 spoonfuls of sugar if they are going in and out of hypo you still have to try and give them this ...when blood sugars fall to 1.00 and below then they go into hypo not a nice thing to watch all the family know how to mix the emergency needle that we have to give her .
all the symptoms you get do sound like low blood sugar levels but everyone can get this ..if they have gone along time without food are on a diet or are ill and cant eat ..im sure youll be all right try and eat regular meals or if you know you are going to be without food for a while keep chocolate in your bag or sweets or a couple of bananas and like cathy says you get glucouse sweets from the chemist and come in a lot of flavours ....

try not to worry .....sally

n3r0x1k
15-06-08, 19:37
Thanks to you both again. I guess I worry too much about health issues and symptoms. And yeh it doesn't only happen in the morning, but as you mentionned, it happens to you gals without having an illness or hypoglycemia.
Thanks