PDA

View Full Version : Bloating and pain - Anything serious?

kaz0904
15-06-08, 09:19
I have been suffering from bloating and pain in my upper abdomen for weeks now, and I have been extremely worried about the possible causes.

I couldn't resist googling my symptoms, and have found a huge variety of possible causes, which have made me afraid to go and do the thing I know I ought to, go visit the GP. Until I had googled my symptoms, I thought it was just a bad IBS flare up, but now I am not so sure. I have read it could be caused by anything, Lactose Intolerence, IBS, Colon Cancer, Ovarian Cancer.... I am now so worried I am afraid to go to see the doctor.

I have tried my usual IBS medication, and it doesn't seem to be making much difference, although I have only been taking it for a couple of days, so it might just be taking a while to work.

My trouble is, I am scared of the investigations the doctor may want to do, such as Colonoscopy, and also scared of what they might find! I am worried that a food intolerence will interfere with my enjoyment of life, because I really enjoy my food. I am worried that my symptoms are caused by something serious, and I will end up dead or very sick on Chemo or something!

My partner says, and no doubt other people will say the same, I should stop googling all the time, as I am making my anxiety worse, and just go to see the GP. He says even if I do have to have unpleasant tests, they will be worth it if they set my mind at rest. If I do have something serious, at least they will be able to treat the problem, and finding out sooner rather than later will increase my chances of full recovery. I know all of this, and yet I am still so scared! When I am feeling very low, I have such dark thoughts, like what will happen to my children when I am no longer here? Should I be making plans for them, if the worst happens?

I think the solution is definately visiting the doctor, and I have made up my mind to go and visit her, and see what she says.

pigtailplaits
15-06-08, 09:46
i am suffering in the same kind of way only my anxiety is over something in the brain. I have been like this for 4 months now. I had a CT scan which was clear but nothing can convince me, i already want another one.
I wasnt like this until i had my daughter a year ago. Now suddenly i'm like 'oh god whats gonna happen to her if i died'. I have already asked my mam to take her on as her own if i die. I am only 23.
A few weeks ago i was complaining of stomach bloating and pain under my rib cage on the left hand side, i was thinking alsorts. They did an endoscopy (camera down) and it shown i had helicobacter and a peptic ulcer, both fairly common and treatable with antibiotics. But i am not bothered about that, i am more bothered about my brain. I desperately dont want my daughter to be an only child but i feel too ill and tired to have another baby, but my mind is thinking she is gonna need someone here for when i die. Feel crap but just wanted you to know i know how you are feeling x

Trixie
15-06-08, 09:58
Why are you worrying about your brain?

You were given the all clear on the stomach problem so you are OK, with nothing to worry about (health wise). Forget about your head and don't dwell on dying, it happens to us all sometimes but no point in worrying about something we cannot change.:flowers:

kaz0904
15-06-08, 19:52
@ Pigtailplaits - *huggles* to you! It feels awful this anxiety, and having children adds a whole new dimension to it. I have decided I will call the doctor and make an appoitment tomorrow, and the thought of it is giving me constant butterflies. I am trying to keep a grip on myself, but it isn't easy!

So you had the same symptoms as me, and it was an ulcer? I hadn't thought of that one! Ah well, I will see what the doctor says when I see her!

JennyW
16-06-08, 10:06
Hi Kaz. Pop along to your GP, you may find that some prescribed medication will do the job.

I'm going through something very similar. During my first visit, my GP ordered blood tests - all came back fine. However the medication he prescribed wasn't having an effect so he changed it to Lansoprazole and ordered an upper abdominal ultra-sound. I didn't want to wait so paid to go privately. Everything was fine :yesyes: , however I'm still experiencing horrible symptoms. My follow-up is next MOnday and my GP said that if I'm still not 100% then he will arrange for an endoscopy.

Like you I googled and convinced myself of cancer or some pancreatic problem but if you do a search on this site, there are tons of people with indigestion/upper stomach problems.

You may find that the medication your GP prescribes will be enough to kick it into touch. Over-the-counter stuff isn't strong enough.

kaz0904
16-06-08, 10:19
I have made an appointment to see the GP tomorrow, so I will see what she says. I have had butterflies constantly today, I was up crying in the night last night as well.

My partner says he thinks I should ask for the anti-depressants again as well, as he has noticed my anxiety coming back over the last few months! :(

kaz0904
17-06-08, 20:34
Update: I have been to see the doctor. She had a feel of my tummy and said it was all soft, no lumps or inflammation at all. She asked me if I was stressed, I said yes!

So, she had given me a combination of Anti-Spasmodics and Anti-Depressants, and said if I'm not better in a month, which is when I have to go back for more tablets, she will send me for further investigations. But she said as I have a history of IBS and Anxiety, it is most likely severe IBS caused by that old chestnut, Anxiety!

I have taken my first tablet, and I know its too soon for it to be having any effect, but I feel a bit better already, probably just from the reassurance of knowing that its nothing serious! :)

Very relieved Kaz