PDA

View Full Version : Brain Tumours (types)

Trixie
16-06-08, 07:55
A lot of people on this board are concerned about brain tumours and some have PMd me asking why mine hasn't been removed etc.

There are many types of brain tumours at least 11 types mine is called a Meningioma and it grows on the lining of the brain. Mine was found by accident when I had a MRI for tinnitus (no connection). I have not been having headaches blurred vision speech problems or fits.

My tumour was 2.5cms x 2.0cms when found in December, I haven't had the result for my latest MRI yet.

When I saw the neurosurgeon at the beginning of the year he told me it was benign but he couldn't tell me how long it had been there or how long it would be before I had any symptoms because although meningiomas are classed as slow growing they have growth spurts.

Because they grow on the lining of the brain they can be on any part (imagine a wall nut the shell is the skull and the brown skin covering the white nut is the meninges).

This means where ever the tumour presses on the brain different parts of the body can be affected. This is why the surgeon won't operate until I get symptoms as when he does he has told me that I can be paralysed on my right side. It has been known for these types of tumours to grow as large as an orange before the person has symptoms. It all depends there is no clear fast rule.

If they are removed by surgery they can return, if they cannot be reached by the surgeon they use radiotherapy it all depends on the tumours location.

For more info go to Meningioma mommas website.

Mine is classed as a Left Frontal 2.5 x 2.0 cms parafalcine tumour.

halfnormal
16-06-08, 18:33
Hi Trixie. Sorry for your ailment. Is it cancerous? I assume not if they are just letting it be

Cathy V
16-06-08, 19:02
Hi halfnormal, no its not cancerous, this is when its called 'benign'. However as Trixie has said it doesnt have to be cancerous to cause its own problems. I have problems with my heart as do alot of ppl on here, but when i go for tests im told its 'benign' meaning its not heart disease for real, although again, it does cause problems and still has to be treated by meds sometimes, but its not life-threatening :)

Cathy xxx

halfnormal
16-06-08, 19:11
Hi halfnormal, no its not cancerous, this is when its called 'benign'. However as Trixie has said it doesnt have to be cancerous to cause its own problems. I have problems with my heart as do alot of ppl on here, but when i go for tests im told its 'benign' meaning its not heart disease for real, although again, it does cause problems and still has to be treated by meds sometimes, but its not life-threatening :)

Cathy xxx

Just making sure :) Trixie has been very helpful to me as I read through these threads.

Obviously ANY tumor is a bad tumor but its nice to see that Trixie isn't seeing the effects :)

Trixie
16-06-08, 19:26
Hi Trixie. Sorry for your ailment. Is it cancerous? I assume not if they are just letting it be

Here is some info from Cancerbackup http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Brain/Typesofbraintumour/Meningioma

They can be benign, malignant or atypical. Unfortunately they carry on growing pressing on the brain and causing all sorts of problems (blindness, paralysis, and some people die). One lady on a board I go on has 12 of all different sizes they have removed some but obviously cannot keep opening up her head so...........:shrug:

Until I have symptoms the neurosurgeon won't operate as it may cause paralysis on my right side.:)

halfnormal
16-06-08, 19:30
Here is some info from Cancerbackup http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Brain/Typesofbraintumour/Meningioma

They can be benign, malignant or atypical. Unfortunately they carry on growing pressing on the brain and causing all sorts of problems (blindness, paralysis, and some people die). One lady on a board I go on has 12 of all different sizes they have removed some but obviously cannot keep opening up her head so...........:shrug:

Until I have symptoms the neurosurgeon won't operate as it may cause paralysis on my right side.:)

Well I wish you the best of luck trixie! May those symptoms never appear!

Trixie
16-06-08, 19:32
And may every one of us on here feel better soon.:yesyes:

halfnormal
16-06-08, 19:35
Mind taking a look at my short story below about my brian cancer fear :)

Thanks!

paisleychap
16-06-08, 19:43
Wish you all the best in the world Trixie and may you keep safe:hugs:

Trixie
17-06-08, 14:55
Mind taking a look at my short story below about my brian cancer fear :)

Thanks!

Done so.:)

Cathy V
17-06-08, 15:05
Yes Trixie, i hope you stay well and that if the benign tumor does grow that it doesnt cause any of those really bad problems that you mentioned, you know like permenant damage...or something.

Take care
Cathy xxx

fairyloveheart
17-06-08, 21:57
Trixie - you have given me a lot of support on this board, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I think you are very courageous. You seem to be a very positive person and I think that your positivity and kindness will enable you to win through and overcome anything in the future.

If I can ever be of assistance to you, please don't hesitate to PM me.
Take care
FLH
xxx

Trixie
18-06-08, 05:41
Trixie - you have given me a lot of support on this board, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I think you are very courageous. You seem to be a very positive person and I think that your positivity and kindness will enable you to win through and overcome anything in the future.

If I can ever be of assistance to you, please don't hesitate to PM me.
Take care
FLH
xxx

I think it must be the trained nurse in me but it breaks my heart to see so many people distressed about an illness they most probably do not have.

Their lives are being spoilt by their constant worry over their health. As my daughter has psychiatric problems I can sympathise, but to spend ones days searching on the net for different symptoms I find so upsetting.

I am not a courageous person just laid back, extrovert 99.9% of the time until it comes to my cats being ill (I suppose if I was a vet I would'nt be:D)

Trixie
18-06-08, 05:44
Yes Trixie, i hope you stay well and that if the benign tumor does grow that it doesnt cause any of those really bad problems that you mentioned, you know like permenant damage...or something.

Take care
Cathy xxx

Me to, one of the ladies on the board I go on hasn't been able to talk for two years and another one has to have her eye stitched up because the muscles that control the eyelid have become paralysed and her eye is drying up (she will never be able to use that eye again).:weep:

marcc64
09-08-09, 22:23
Wow, I always thought tumors cause horid symptoms and such

It must be difficult having a tumor with no symptoms in a way, because anyone could have one and not have any symptoms, scary!!!!!

I have read many of your posts on here Trixe :) and you sound like a very brave person :) wish you all the best :) Marc.

LisaLisa
10-08-09, 12:13
Trixie
I just wanted to say i really admire your attitude and your caring nature, you have helped me before too.

Its lovely of you to share information about your condition to help others. I have every faith in medical science and techonology and am sure that the tumour will be kept at bay or even better removed and not return.:yesyes:

Lisa
xxxxxxx

amu
10-08-09, 15:46
The eyelid thing must be awful for poor girl. I had Bell's palsy two years ago which meant that the right side of my face was paralyzed. This meant that I could not close my right eye at all and it became dry and sore. I was very lucky that in about two months this got better and eventually it disappeared.
But there was talk of it staying that way forever for many people with Bell's and some of them requiring inserting a sort of weight in the eyelid etc... not good

anxious
10-08-09, 22:45
My partner had a temporal lobe astrocytoma which unfortunately wasn't benign. There are so many types and so many symptoms. But as Trixie said it is so sad that people worry about things they haven't got and most probably will never have.
anx xx