PDA

View Full Version : Asthma & Anxiety?

hdouglass
18-04-05, 11:42
Hi, Can anybody else help me on this. I suffer from asthma and I suffer from anxiety and stress. Lately i've been a bit stressed and Ive been panicking about my breathing. But the problem is I can't decide if its my asthma or just me stressing out. Does anybody else have this? Also my councellor did say there is a connection between asthma and anxiety/stress, is there anymore info on this?

jude
18-04-05, 12:06
Hiya,

Yes anxiety can bring on an asthma attack.
I used to get asthma. When I was nervous, it made my breathing harder.

It is very common with asthma. When stressed or anxious, your muscles tense, when you have asthma, this also happens in your bronchioles...the tiny air sacs in your lungs.
This causes asthma....
As soon as you relax, the bronchioles relax too.

Have you an inhaler to help with this?

Jude x

Be gentle with yourself....you just need some time to heal.

hdouglass
18-04-05, 12:26
Yeah I've got my inhalers, but don't really like taking them if they're not needed, if you know what i mean. Thank you for your advice.

hdouglass:)

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hiya,

Yes anxiety can bring on an asthma attack.
I used to get asthma. When I was nervous, it made my breathing harder.

It is very common with asthma. When stressed or anxious, your muscles tense, when you have asthma, this also happens in your bronchioles...the tiny air sacs in your lungs.
This causes asthma....
As soon as you relax, the bronchioles relax too.

Have you an inhaler to help with this?

Jude x

Be gentle with yourself....you just need some time to heal.

<div align="right">Originally posted by jude - 18 April 2005 : 12:06:55</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

nomorepanic
18-04-05, 21:53
I suffer from Asthma but have never had an asthma attack despite all the panic attacks and hyperventilating.

I use my inhalers more but I don't think I need them cos they don't help atall when I am breathing a bit weird. This is cos it is not asthma related.

Nicola

sue447
24-04-05, 18:00
hi,
i agree with nicola,anxiety attacks are not related to asthma,i asked my gp about this a while ago and he said its not related atall but because you think youre not getting enoph air, it feels like its restricted when infact youre breathing in too much air, do you wheeze when youre panicking, if not then its unlikely to be an asthma attack
luv sue