PDA

View Full Version : Our Heightened Senses in relation to Health Anxiety

halfnormal
16-06-08, 22:10
Is it me or do most anxious people have heightened senses. You know taste, touch, vision, hearing.

Anxiety, is our body trying to get away from danger. I bet the majority of our health anxiety stems from our bodies perception trying to protect itself.

For example:

Those seeing dots/flashes/floaters: Our anxiety is quite possibly just making us notice these things as our awareness is increased

Those of us tasting metallic: Again we are noticing something minor due to almost "Looking for it" our senses being aware looking for trouble.

Anyone ever stay up at night because they can hear every crack and creek in the house? Or think they have tinnitus when the average person wouldn't even notice. Again our bodies awareness at a high.

As for smell again sometimes I think we all look for smells and decide when something is bad or strange. Funny how I never smell funny things when I'm calm and relaxed and don't have my mind on dangerous diseases.

And as for touch. Man thats the bad one for us Health Anxiety folks. I swear I can feel everything in my body. Even minor things. Why on earth would I want to hear minor things unless my body was expecting something bad to happen and was on the lookout. No way nature would design someone with anxiety to notice many of the things that I do.

My GF calls me "the most aware person when it comes to my body that she has ever met."

I think if many of us can fight our stress/anxiety through Meds/CBT we will all stop noticing the stars and floaters, the aches and pains, and the funny smells and tastes.

milly jones
16-06-08, 22:14
never thought of it as ha before

i got diagnosis of gad and sa

i really suffer from sensitivity of noise, touch and taste/smell

i thought it was just the general anx

milly xx

halfnormal
16-06-08, 22:20
never thought of it as ha before

i got diagnosis of gad and sa

i really suffer from sensitivity of noise, touch and taste/smell

i thought it was just the general anx

milly xx

Well GAD and OCD and Depression are all closly linked. GAD is just generally worrying you know and OCD is well obsessing (thoughts included)

I have both GAD and obsessional thoughts. So basically I obsess over bodily sensations that I believe at least are heightened due to my anxiety!

FUN!

kaz0904
16-06-08, 22:29
That sounds like me too! I can wake up in the morning, and for a few blissful minutes, I feel fine. Then I think "hang on where did all my aches and pains go", and bang, there they are!

My gut problem is the one thats getting to me, along with the tinnitus. I sit up and feel fine at first, then I think, "I must check to see how my gut feels today" and it immediately hurts. Same with the noise, I can wake up and there is no noise, think about it, and its back. :weep:

halfnormal
16-06-08, 22:34
That sounds like me too! I can wake up in the morning, and for a few blissful minutes, I feel fine. Then I think "hang on where did all my aches and pains go", and bang, there they are!

My gut problem is the one thats getting to me, along with the tinnitus. I sit up and feel fine at first, then I think, "I must check to see how my gut feels today" and it immediately hurts. Same with the noise, I can wake up and there is no noise, think about it, and its back. :weep:

Yea I do that as well. The waking up thing. Unfortunately my sleeping has been awful because I'll wake up and symptom check myself in the middle of the night.

But yes I also wake up in the morning and go ahh no Headache so no Brain Tumor. Then I'll start feeling little aches and pains in my head or something and on to another day of thinking I'm dying.

God it sucks soooo bad.

Cathy V
16-06-08, 23:20
Aha! so you do sleep badly then...this might explain the 'jumping brain' syndrome :D

Sorry couldnt resist that but didnt mean to interrupt your thread, i was only browsing!

Cathy xxx

halfnormal
16-06-08, 23:29
Aha! so you do sleep badly then...this might explain the 'jumping brain' syndrome :D

Sorry couldnt resist that but didnt mean to interrupt your thread, i was only browsing!

Cathy xxx

Jumping brain??? I'm confused