PDA

View Full Version : prescribed citalopram yesterday...feel ill

loulouham
17-06-08, 09:59
After 6 months of what I think are panic attacks, my GP prescribed Citalopram yesterday...took 1 x 20mg pill and within an hour felt sick, shaky, dizzy, detached etc. but these symptoms are similar to my 'panic attacks' and anxiety symptoms so I wasn't sure if it was that. (After reading the list of possible side effects in the pack I almost didn't even go ahead & take it!).

Then at 4am today i had about the worst panic attack ever...felt I was going to faint, racing heart, couldn't breathe etc. Lasted about 2 hours. Haven't taken tablet today...

Must say that reading the posts on here is more of a relief than any meds...to just know that other people go through this and also feel like if they don't call an ambulance they will die (then feel foolish later when they feel OK!)...I cant really talk about this to anyone because I don't want to upset my family, but I have all these feelings of panic and dread etc & didn't realise how many other people did too.

My GP prescribed Valium for occasional use a while ago...I find this helps & think I'll probs stick with that for emergency use plus a large brandy to help me sleep, and just try to sit it out & hope I can put this behind me.

milly jones
17-06-08, 12:05
hun try not to worry

the meds will make u feel grotty for a week or so and enhance the anx. but work thru it and u will begin to feel the positive effects. if not go back to ur gp and talk again. it takes a little patience to get the right drug and dose thats good for u.

our bodies need a little time to adjust to the changes

remember were all here behind u

milly xxx

lee87
17-06-08, 12:58
I agree with the above - I am on citalopram and it took a few weeks to get over the side effects (my nausea was so bad that i took anti-emetics for it) but now im fine and have been for the last few months. I definately think its worth putting up with the side effects even though they cant be very nice, as the end result will hopefully make you feel a lot better in yourself. Hope this helps

paisleychap
17-06-08, 20:12
First off hi and hope things have settled down a bit for you.#
im in more or less the exact same position as yourself as i only started the meds 4 days ago.I have been having raging headaches since i started and all the other side effects you mention so you are not alone:hugs:
I have convinced myself i now have a brain tumour and i was going crazy there for a few days.
I only found this forum yesterday and i can safely say it has helped so much in that space of time.Just by finding out that a lot of people suffer these effects from these med's has put my mind at rest a little.
Also the amount of support i have had from posting a thread about brain tumour worries has been very comforting and im sure you will recive the same.
I will keep eye out for your post's to see how you are progressing and will send you wee message letting you know how im getting on.
Good luck and hope you get better soon.:yesyes:

Loulou29
07-10-08, 12:11
Hi, I started taking citalopram about 8 days ago - only 10mg which I believe is very low. First few days I had nauseau and feeling bit under par which I could cope with, however on friday woke up about 3am with same horrific panic symptoms you described. Went to the doctors the next day who said it may or may not be the meds. I continued with them. Saturday and Sunday were fine but yesterday (Monday) experiened the same thing while on the tube - couldnt breathe, legs like jelly, extreme nausea, almost passed out. Luckily a friend was nearby to come and get me. Last night woke up again in small hours with same symptoms. Think i will stop taking the citalopram today. Doctor sent me for blood tests toay but I guess it must be the drugs? Lou lou did your symptoms subside? Scared to stop as had hoped the citalopram would help but can't carry on with these side affects whcih are so frighteneing. Thanks for any advice.
Lou xx

Tom_M
07-10-08, 12:44
Most antidepressants cause this as they start to build up in your system. Citalopram however, seem to be worse than others in my opinion.

Tom