PDA

View Full Version : feeling that heart has stopped - not ectopics

cassi23
17-06-08, 10:08
Hiya,

Iv had this a couple of times before but last night when i was very calm and relaxed i got this overwhelming feeling that my heart had stopped,was sinking into my chest and i was seconds away from dying!

Followed by big shakiness, anyone else get this as im starting to panic???

Thanks Cassi xxx

Cathy V
17-06-08, 10:20
Hi cassi, i think the 'big shakiness' is your body reacting to your fear, rather than any connection to your heart. The feeling that your heart has stopped is very common as you must have read from ppls posts here. The fact that it happens just when you're nodding off is because your sensitive mind is exhausted and relaxation doesnt come easy to us anxies. Its abit like that sensation some ppl get when they're just about to go to sleep and they feel like they are falling and wake with a big body jerk. And if one of the areas of aniety for you is the heart, and if your heart is super-sensitive anyway then this is where you will feel it most. You didnt die the first time and you didnt die the second time, so...you arent going to die.

I have had all tests same as alot of ppl, and only last week went to see a cardiologist (my 1st in germany) and he gave me the all clear about the ectopics i get. I felt great for about a day, then they came back the following day and all the reassurence went out of the window again! Its very uncomfortable and its scary even after years of it, but i also know that im not going to die...the cardiologist told me so! :scared15:

Cathy xxx:)

cassi23
17-06-08, 12:13
thankyou for the reassurance, everytime it feels slightly different which scares me to think its something worse.

i was very tired also,but again i am struggling to believe that its caused by anxiety but dont want to go back to doctors. :wacko:

lol,thanx again xxxxx

shaz1
21-06-08, 10:12
Hi, I have had ectopics for a bout 30 years - and they are hormonal! I can time them before I get a period and when I am ovulating, it doesnt happen every month - I have gone absolutely ages and not had one - but the last 5 days I have had them every day and it drive me mad. I have seen a cardiologist tiwce and had all the tests and he has told me it is my Achilles Heel and not heart desease. Anyone else had the same thing? I am starting the menopause and think the last few days might be down to that

I would love to hear from other like minded women who might have the same - it would make me feel a whole lot better!

eurotrashcub
23-06-08, 20:38
Hello

I have very similar symptoms that the ones you describe cassi. I usually wake up jolting when i am about to fall asleep convinced that my heart has stopped and i quickly check my pulse.

I have had panic disorder with agoraphobia (although i am pretty much recovered from agoraphobia) for over 15 years and heart worries have always been on the top of my list!

precious78
04-07-08, 13:27
Isn't the feeling your heart has stopped actually an ectopic though? Because it beats too early and then there is a pause because it gets back into line?

I've just had one and it scared the heck out of me. I've had them before but not for a very long time. So because they have started up again I'm getting myself worked up into a frenzy.

Shaz1 do you mean achilles heel as in a weakness or actually something to do with yoru achilles tendon? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question.

Cathy V
04-07-08, 15:12
Hi precious, i think shaz meant as in it being her weakness, her 'thing' as it is mine too. ive been getting ectopics on an off for many years, and they can be different, as in sometimes the gaps between beats can be longer and make you apnic more coz you think your heart wont start beating again, or it can feel like 'fluttering' as if its beating very quickly without any gaps for a few seconds. all of it is ok and if youve had tests and been told its benign, then its nothing honestly.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :)

precious78
04-07-08, 15:38
I had an ECG and a heart monitor earlier in the year and both showed no arrhythmias, no palpitations. I was having them but I don't think they were 'caught' by the detectors. They went away for ages and have returned again now which makes them scary again. I had got used to them before.

Mine are definitely the ones with a long gap, you wait ages thinking it feel like your heart is never going to beat again and in the meantime you become dizzy waiting. Horrible.