PDA

View Full Version : Need reassurance

cack
17-06-08, 17:29
My current anxiety episode has been going on for about 2 months. I had an occular migraine that freaked me out, and by the time I had the tests to rule stuff out, I was having dizziness, sure I had a brain tumor. After that was ruled out, I had numbness in my hands (surely MS), ruled that out, so I moved on to chest pains. I had had those before, but I still had it checked out, told I'm fine...right. Those have disappeared, but now I am having some mild chest tightness- like asthma, for lack of a better discription, and a bit of a lump in my throat. I am sure (99%) of the time it is anxiety, but that 1% will eat away at you. I have started the breathing techniques seen here. They have really helped (as have all the posts to make me realize I am not alone in this), but it seems like I take 2 steps forward, then one step back. Is that normal too? It is discouraging. We leave in a week for a 2 week family vacation, and I desperately want to have a great time. I think my anxiety about my anxiety is my biggest problem. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks heaps!

turnthelighton
17-06-08, 17:50
I understand how you feel as it happens to me. I am sure you will have a great vacation once you relax. I find that when I am holiday I feel really good, think I need to go on more holidays.

I have found that Anxiety is a really strong thing and just one I think I have got over one worry something else comes up - nightmare. This board is great for support and the suggestions are really good.

Finding good relaxtion techniques is very useful.

Take care

milly jones
17-06-08, 17:52
hi hun i get the same pain in the chest like an asthma attack, its usually a sign for me to relax to prevent a pa.

we all have good times and bad times hun promise

where u off to on the vacation? so me where nice? is the prospect scarey for u? it would be for me.

we all get anxious about our different types of anxiety here

thats what nmp is good at, supporting one another

take care

milly xx

Cathy V
17-06-08, 17:59
Hi there, welcome to the forum. Your symptoms do sound like classic anxiety so you're in good comapny here. I hope you get the support and information that you need. I think youve already brought a smile to the ppl on nmp who live in Uk, as your user name is a little ummm.....unusual!:D

Take care
Cathy xxx

cack
17-06-08, 18:12
Ooops... hope it is nothing offensive.. My given name is Catherine, and in the US, Cack is a fairly common nickname. You made me smile, though, and these days, that is a good thing.

One more question. I find that I am highly suggestive. For example, when I saw the doc last week for the chest pains, he asked me if I had any chest tightness. I told him that I would have it the next day! No joke, and I did. Then the race is on to convince myself that it is anxiety, and not the 1 in a million chance that I have anxiety and a heart condition on the same day. Does anyone else do this?

Cathy V
17-06-08, 20:14
Well from one Catherine to another im not going to be the one to tell you what your user name means to us, ive caused enough trouble for one day on here!

But to answer your question about being open to suggestion, its true. In fact much as i love nmp, i sometimes find myself with various aches and pains after ive been talking to a member with arm pain or back pain. I have no fear of any other illness except heart disease...thats my 'thing' and so is it for alot of others here too. Other ppl have cancer fears or brain tumor fears, but none of these faze me at all coz it doesnt involve the heart. Yet after talking to someone who had really bad leg pain and thought it was something sinister, and later that day i had a bad pain in my leg that i hadnt before!

I think a tired mind is open to suggestion for sure. Anyway you're definately not alone now.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :D