PDA

View Full Version : Playing the statistics game

halfnormal
17-06-08, 19:11
I don't know why but stats make me worry less about things. Stupid Dr. Google tells us so much about symptoms but so little about stats.

Now this is totally just me being a goof ball and I know that (me too) its hard to stop saying " But I could be that 1 percent!!"

Well lets play a little statistical fun:

According to most sites Your chance of getting Brain Cancer is 4.5 out of 100,000 under the age of 65 (each year). Scary on first look but look at this.

That is a .000045 percent chance of this happening. For me in the next 40 years that turns into a .0018 chance of getting it over those years. Less scary IMO.

Also I try to think of it this way. If God or buddha or nature gave you both a horrific Anxiety disorder and a Horrific Brain Cancer good god were you unlucky!!

Only 3% of the pop has GAD, 1% has OCD, and 2.7% has panic disorder. We already have a rare Medical issue truthfully. Speaking from my own mind I'd think its less likely that I'll encounter a rare mental disorder and an UBER RARE physical disorder! But hey I know its tough (for me too). I'm just trying out new things.

Anyways hopefully this helps some people. Oh and BTW we KNOW that we have anxiety disorders and we KNOW that we have lots of their symptoms. :)