PDA

View Full Version : Make fun of your symptoms

halfnormal
17-06-08, 21:57
My CBT guy always tells me to make fun of my symptoms. I have a hard time doing it but hey others might not.

He says "when you feel a symptom" make up the funniest symptom and disease for it you can think of.

For example if you have a funny itch on your Leg say "Hmm thats gulivers leg syndrome, I believe that causes me to to turn into a 4 inch tall person"

Stuff like that. The only one that has worked for me so far is saying "Hmm that tingle in my finger must be ET syndrome and I just need to phone home"

Anyways give it a try!

He says it works because OCD (related to my health anxiety, doesn't mess with things that don't annoy you. Making fun of a symptom = not being annoyed by it

Cathy V
17-06-08, 23:24
Hiya half, this gives me a bit of an insight into this cbt lark, since ive never had it, it sounds interesting. How do they ask you to cope with ectopics tho? theyre driving me mad at the mo!

Cathy v xxx

halfnormal
18-06-08, 23:42
Hiya half, this gives me a bit of an insight into this cbt lark, since ive never had it, it sounds interesting. How do they ask you to cope with ectopics tho? theyre driving me mad at the mo!

Cathy v xxx

Ha i never really get those. I'm sure he would say something like. Thats just a space alien that keeps kicking me in the chest. One day that'll pop out and because I'm its mommy it'll make me king of the universe its alien people will take over :)

Like I said I have a heard time with it. I think the key is to make your brain happy when you experience these things and you will notice them less.

Cathy V
19-06-08, 00:42
OoooooKaaaay! Therapists rule...:unsure:

london
19-06-08, 12:31
you cant beat laughing

tantopat
18-07-08, 09:29
I remember doing something like that once (just because I was bored, and I needed to take the edge off my symptoms somehow). I think I decided that my shaking and feeling like my heart was pumping too fast was from playing too much video games, and meant that I was slowly turning into Sonic the Hedgehog and would any moment turn blue and start craving chilidogs. :P