PDA

View Full Version : Fear of being far from a hospital

chrissy87
18-06-08, 01:31
This may sound a bit silly and I don't know if anyone else is in the same situation but I have this strange intense fear of being far from a hospital. I'm due to fly back home to visit family and the long haul flight and 6 hour stop over is scaring me. On top of that, my mum lives in a very rural area and I'm scared that if something happens to me I won't be able to get to a hospital. At the moment I live 5 minutes down the road from one. I know exactly how to get there (I've been to A&E enough!) and know my surroundings well enough not to inconvenience anyone but myself (and the doctors) if I freak out a little too much.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Or does anyone have any advice for the flight? I'm not scared of flying. I grew up flying everywhere - it's being away from medical care and being trapped in a plane - not knowing the people or my surroundings.

I've been considering going back to my doctor and getting a prescription for diazepam again. I've had one in the past and it helps but I'm set against medication in the long term.

I do have health anxiety. Any kind of pain - big or small, sharp or dull - I think something terrible is going to happen to me. The main things I'm scared about are stroke and heart attacks.

Trixie
18-06-08, 05:33
When I was nine (a long time ago) my mum had what was called at the time a major coronary my dad phoned for the doctor who in turn phoned the ambulance from his surgery.

The ambulance had to travel 12 miles to pick up my mum and then travel another 12 miles to take her to the hospital. That was in the days of ambulances that didn't go that fast compared with the ones of today.

Ambulances now go exceedingly fast, they have all the kit on board and most ambulance personnel are trained paramedics. Apart from that we have air ambulances so I wouldn't worry.

Oh and by the way my mum was 84 when she died.

Zingara
18-06-08, 12:35
Just wanted to say I have exactly the same thing...I get in a panic out in the country because I worry that an ambulance wouldn't reach me in time. I also feel anxious if I'm away from home and don't know where the nearest hospital is. It also affects me when travelling. I know how you feel.

chrissy87
18-06-08, 12:41
When I was nine (a long time ago) my mum had what was called at the time a major coronary my dad phoned for the doctor who in turn phoned the ambulance from his surgery.

The ambulance had to travel 12 miles to pick up my mum and then travel another 12 miles to take her to the hospital. That was in the days of ambulances that didn't go that fast compared with the ones of today.

Ambulances now go exceedingly fast, they have all the kit on board and most ambulance personnel are trained paramedics. Apart from that we have air ambulances so I wouldn't worry.

Oh and by the way my mum was 84 when she died.

Thanks for replying. My mum lives in the Philippines - having spent half my childhood there and visiting every year since I moved back to the UK I know that the health care system and ambulances etc aren't up to scratch. At all. Many of my family members have died because of the lack of care and most of them lived in the city.

However, I emailed my brother about my worries and he said since my mum has medical problems of her own, she's probably already figured out a route to the hospital. I feel a bit better now. The main thing worrying me is the long flight! Which I've never had problems with up until my panic attacks returned in November. Last summer I was fine flying there and back on my own.

chrissy87
18-06-08, 12:43
Just wanted to say I have exactly the same thing...I get in a panic out in the country because I worry that an ambulance wouldn't reach me in time. I also feel anxious if I'm away from home and don't know where the nearest hospital is. It also affects me when travelling. I know how you feel.

It's good to know I'm not the only one. I travel from Bristol to London quite a lot and I'm fine on the coach until I leave the city....when I'm on the motorway I panic because I'm not close to a hospital. That familiar at all?

janeybaby25
18-06-08, 12:53
hi, yes I can relate to this but weirdly when I am on holiday I am not too worried! its when I am at home or in another place I worry. I have a heart condition so I do need to know where the nearest hospital is when I go away so I look it up at medtronic.com. It tells me the nearest hosp for a debrillator clinc (which is what I have) but if you are worried whilst you are away, why not look up the nearest hospital & print off details & take it with you? that way you might just have a little peace of mind. xx

Alabasterlyn
18-06-08, 12:54
I can certainly relate to this problem myself too. My local hospital is about 5mins drive away when the roads are quiet but probably half an hour when it's busy or our local football team are playing at home and it is something that crosses my mind when I'm not well.

Years ago when I was working I had to walk past the Dr's surgery to get to the tube station and I always felt a sense of relief when I was walking past as I knew if I suddenly felt ill there was someone there who could help me.

I would seriously consider taking a diazepam for the flight if you find they relax you. Taking them on an 'as needed' basis won't hurt and if it makes the flight bearable then why not.

never2late
18-06-08, 17:08
I just HAD to reply to this thread because whenever I travel I must always know where the nearest hospital is, its contact information and my proximity to it. I also carry (believe it or not) 2-way communications radio with emergency band.

Why?

Well, I don't really know to be honest. In 52 years I have never been in a hospital!

But I need to know where one is at all times.

Just another strange quirk along with all the other ones, I guess! :)

P.S. I also have to have diagrams of hotel hallways for emergency escapes for fire or disaster, etc. LOL! (yeah, its funny now typing this -- but I'm not going to change anything about it!).

Trixie
18-06-08, 17:50
Thanks for replying. My mum lives in the Philippines - having spent half my childhood there and visiting every year since I moved back to the UK I know that the health care system and ambulances etc aren't up to scratch. At all. Many of my family members have died because of the lack of care and most of them lived in the city.

However, I emailed my brother about my worries and he said since my mum has medical problems of her own, she's probably already figured out a route to the hospital. I feel a bit better now. The main thing worrying me is the long flight! Which I've never had problems with up until my panic attacks returned in November. Last summer I was fine flying there and back on my own.

Well at least your brother has the quickest route all mapped out so that is something. I do hope you have a wonderful time and not even so much as a cold while you are out there.:flowers:

Krakers
18-06-08, 17:51
Hi all - I'm half and half. I have a fear of flying (my first ever PA was on a plane) and a fear of hospitals. I actually live directly opposite our main hospital, but theres no way you'd get me in there unless I was unconcious. They wanted to run some blood tests when I was first diagnosed, and I wouldn't even let them take that.

As for the flying, well, we've now not been abroad for 2 1/2 years. Although I think I could manage it with diazepam (which I currently take as and when needed). When I do eventually book a holiday its going to be a last minute deal flying out within 48 hours. If I book to far in advance I'll end up fretting for months rather than just going and enjoying the holiday.

I can certainly recommend diazepam for the journey. If it was a longer flight I'd personally consider Temazepam and sleep for most of it. Its not quite suitable here though as 20mg usually puts you to sleep for a good 8 hours, and you'd be too groggy if woken after 6. Worth considering for anyone flying from the UK to the USA west coast or Mexico.

Krakers.

chrissy87
18-06-08, 22:35
I'll definitely print off directions and a map - I never even thought of that! It'll give me peace of mind.

I ALWAYS figure out a quick way out when I'm staying at a place I don't know or in a hotel. It's not weird! Well...maybe it is. At least we're not alone.

The flight from London to Dubai is about 7 hours then there's a 6 hour wait at Dubai. THEN I've got to get another 7 hour flight to Hong Kong. If I could afford to fly direct it'd be about 12 hours. It's just annoying that it's all broken up. Even if the Diazepam doesn't knock me out it'll hopefully keep me calm.

Going to book an appointment tomorrow - see if the doctor will actually give me the prescription. He was very reluctant last time - with it being so addictive. The first prescription I got was when I went to the hospital after being advised by someone at NHS direct to do so. The second one was when I went to the doc to get another one because I had to wait 4 weeks for counselling. He was reluctant then so I don't know how he'll feel about it now. Fingers crossed.