PDA

View Full Version : Checking the same things.

noonoo
18-06-08, 11:35
I've not actually been diagnosed with OCD, but i've thought i've had it for about 3 years.. it just started developing more after I finished college really.

I noticed I keep checking things (especially hair straighteners) and windows over and over when i'm about to leave the house. I used to check my wrists and hands for blood before I went to bed every single night but that seems to have stopped (i've never cut in my life nor will I ever), and I never thought it was strange to do that? I just did it as a nighttime routine otherwise i'd go to sleep restless.

Now I check the doors on my car over and over to make sure they're locked before I leave it and that all the windows are shut properly. Even with people sitting in their cars watching me do it, I just think to myself they don't know me or anything about me and it's what I need to do so I do it.

Do you think it could be OCD?

xxx

Alabasterlyn
18-06-08, 12:24
I think sometimes the medical profession are a bit too keen to label people with things so a Dr might say you had some OCD tendencies, but I always like to think that it's only really a disorder when it interferes with your daily life.

You don't say how often you are checking things, is it just a few times? I know a lot of people without anxiety disorders who check things but don't feel they have OCD. When my daughter in law has a glass of water she always tips the water out twice and only drinks it the third time she's filled the glass, she has no idea why she does it but she doesn't consider herself as having a problem. My partner also does various checking things, like even if I have locked the doors when we go out he just has to double check everything himself. Once again he doesn't consider he has OCD.

When I had my son 30yrs ago I had a problem with everything being in a certain place and also about cleanliness, to the extent where I would sterilise not only my son's bottles but all his plastic toys too. It never occured to me at the time that I was doing something odd, but with hindsight I do think I did have a bit of OCD as it was interfering with my daily life.

aroha
25-06-08, 10:00
Hi Noonoo
I think the tendencies are there, but I've had OCD all my life (well from 15 until now - 36) but it was never a problem, a little mild checking a few times, the odd phone call home to check I turned off the iron. When my mum died and I got pregnant - it went wild, I washed my hands every day so much they bled, I threw out food that was in the fridge (not even on the same shelf) because the fridge had food that was "contaminated". I got stuck in the same checking cycle for extensive periods of time........

At that point in my life, the OCD ruled me. I think this is when it's a problem.

You don't say how long you are checking for? If it's really affecting your life?

Btw, my OCD is pretty much gone now - I've recovered. But I do know that in times of extreme stress there is always the possibility it will develop full blown again - only this time I"m ready for it, and I'll get help straight away.

:D