PDA

View Full Version : Easy bruising...leukaemia?

Zingara
18-06-08, 12:29
Hi,
I feel a bit silly bothering you all but I have got myself all stressed...yesterday I had an itchy patch on my thigh, and sort of without thinking I scratched it quite hard several times throughout the day. Then when I was in the bath last night I noticed that it had turned into a large raised bruise! Could I have done this to myself by scratching it? Of course being in a general state of anxiety I have got the idea that I've got leukaemia in my head. I've had several blood tests already this year with regard to my thyroid. Would leukaemia show up in those tests? I'm due to have another blood count done next week and now I'm terrified of having it done in case they find I have leukaemia. Am I being silly? I hope so...

joyce1980
18-06-08, 14:06
When was the last time you had a full blood count?

Lukaemia is a common worry for us so are: Brain tumors, bowel cancer, ms the list goes on.

Also the MOST COMMON symptom of lukaemia is severe and I mean severe is exhaustion! to the point where some needs to drag you to the hospital cos your so unwell and tired.

If you have had a blood count in the last year and it came back normal then you are fine, your bloods would show a high white cell count and abnormal red cell count.

Your Dr would know the instant he looked at your results.

Now I can put your mind at ease to a certain point, how long have you had anxiety?

It's just once you know you just dont have lekaemia your mind will find something else, just like mine did.

Speak to your Dr about your anxiety, meds are a good option and giving cbt or therapy a good go will help as well.

Good luck and I hoped I helped you a little:bighug1:

shiv
18-06-08, 16:44
If you're bruising easily you're either
a) being clumsier (which I know anxiety does to me) or
b) you could be slightly anaemic and just need some iron (a good indicator of this is the inside of your eyelids being pale)
But leukaemia as the above post says would indeed make you feel completely fatigued beyond belief

Siobhan x

Zingara
18-06-08, 20:01
Hi,
Yes, I last had a full blood count a few months ago, I can't remember exactly when but I do remember being tested for anaemia. I also had a thryoid function test six weeks ago. I don't have any other bruises, just this one, but it is massive and I have been googling (yes, I know...shame on me) and I think if it's not leukaemia (here's hoping) then it's a burst blood vessel, it matches the descriptions exactly. I'm going to pluck up my courage and go to the doctors tomorrow. Thanks and big hugs to you both. xx

joyce1980
19-06-08, 09:01
:) Yep, if you had a full blood count only a few months ago then you are fine, trust me.

Lukaemia doesn't work that way, if it did the whole world would be having blood tests every week.

Good luck to you and I hope your Dr helps you with your anxiety like mine did for me.:D

JennyW
19-06-08, 10:23
A full blood count would certainly show any abnormalites with regards to the blood and white cells. Sounds like yours is fine!

precious78
19-06-08, 13:12
I can add to this. If I scratch myself, which I do frequently as I have dry skin, I get little specks of blood come to the surface. Sometimes really big patches. Some people just have skin which is easier to damage. If I scratch myself I can see the red marks for ages.

I got myself into a state bout a month ago as I was getting bruises all over me and couldn't remember doing anything. Turned out it was probably hormonal as when I stopped taking the combined contraceptive pill the bruises went away! And I had just had a FBC and that was very normal.

Zingara
19-06-08, 14:25
Hi,
Thank you all so much for your reassurance. I went and had a full blood count done this morning, not because of the bruise, I was due one anyway because I have awful periods and they keep checking me for anaemia. I showed my bruise to the nurse and she was totally uninterested.... I suppose that's good in a way! The results come through on Monday so I'm trying really hard not to think about it in the meantime. Still feel really anxious and shaky though. Thank you all for your help. Will let you know what happens...:scared15: :weep:

miss diagnosis
19-06-08, 16:01
hi

I have a low iron count and this acan lead to severe bruising so thats prob what it is. i went through the lukemia phase as well when i had all the bruises and my hair was falling out but it was just low iron!

Wenjoy
19-06-08, 16:02
I am 48 and bruise if you gently touch me - its a family joke that whenever mty hubby hugs me I get fingerprints on my back!!!! But I have alway7s bruised easily and Im menopausal as well = the dr said I have something missing in my blood and its nothing to worry about so try not to worry - I worry when I get persistent headaches but I know its my tense neck muscles causing it - not a brain tmour - so hopefully its just part of who you are - very special!
Wenjoy x

Zingara
23-06-08, 09:57
Hi,
I got my full blood count result back...it was normal, so that's a relief, but they don't know what caused the bruise, it was enormous, the size of the palm of my hand. The doctor thinks it must have been a burst blood vessel. I'm so neurotic, when I hung up after ringing the doctors and being told it was normal I started to think 'What if they've made a mistake? What if I didn't say my name clearly enough and they've given me someone else's results?' Honestly....! xx

joyce1980
23-06-08, 10:31
I can't tell you how common it is to think that!
Your brain just won't let you be happy, that's how it seemed to be for me!

Please, Deff need to try meds and or cbt, it's not fair for you to live like this.

And trust me, the nurses double check your name and bag as to make a mistake is a huge deal.

I promis no mistake would have been made, big bruises do appear sometimes annnnd if you have been taking too much aspirin or ibufrofen that also makes you bruise as does drkining alcohol.

Good luck:bighug1:

Anna C
23-06-08, 18:40
Hi Samira,
It must be a big relief to you to know you're ok. Try not to worry about it - I know its easy for me to say that, but I'm sure its not a mistake.

I agree with Joyce about CBT.

Anyway I'm really glad you're ok, I had my fingers crossed for you!

:hugs: Anna x