PDA

View Full Version : Why do I do it to myself?

erialc
19-06-08, 20:12
Hi,

I haven't posted for a while because things had been going ok for me.

The last week or so have been feeling a bit pants with Health Anx. For those of you who don't know me, I have an issue about moles and my skin. I have (several times) worked myself up to thinking I have skin cancer.

Well I haven't been sleeping worrying about it so booked the docs today - thought well if it is bad I want to know. I have a mole on my shoulder (always been there) but the last week or so has been itchy (not sure if its psychological or wat but been playing on my mind).

The doc (very nice young chap :)) and his med student had a poke and checked me over - they were sooo nice and basically reassured me! Thats what I wanted ......to be told it was nothing bad :yahoo:

I think all the stuff in the press on tv etc makes you more aware (not always a good thing for health anx but hey lol). Plus my friends sister died earlier this year (only in her 30s) from skin cancer so it has been playing on my mind a lot.

Just wanted to share

Claire xx

marie1974
19-06-08, 20:23
hi claire the press, tv stuff and also someone close with an illness definately triggers this sort of stuff, i try to avoid alot of stuff. when my nan dies of cancer i was convinced for months i was dieing but eventually i did feel better and you will too. keep busy and dont think too much and try to avoid anything which may set u off, sorry i cant be more help hugs to u xxx

Liverbird67
19-06-08, 20:51
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I find that the press and certain women's magazines tend to focus on bad news and events like young people dying and leaving six kids etc, it is all very negative and a nightmare for people with health anxiety and other worries. So I tend to avoid them now.

I read the other week about a young girl whom was in the throes of passion having a stroke,
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Guess what............. I avoided any hows your father with my husband for a fortnight and he decided I was

1. Having an affair!
2. Going off him!
Of course none of this is true, I just thought I was a bit too active in that department for my age and was asking for trouble,

When I explained the health anxiety thing he could not believe it.

He said "I have just been in the betting shop and some other punter told me that a guy walked out of here with seven grand in his pocket on Saturday and then stated "I for one minute don't think that will happen to me in the near future"
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

In a way if you think about this logic it does make sense. So why do we torture ourselves??????????????????

At least we all have each other on here, I think I would have been carted off by now if it wasn't for you lot on here

Love to you all

Debbie
:bighug1:

Worrier
19-06-08, 21:06
Hey claire,

Glad you posted today, but sorry to read about what you are going thru. If it makes you feel any better I have hundreds of moles (no really) all over, between toes, everywhere. I worry about it too, but have decided thru my HA that I have bigger things to worry about.

Just know that you would know if something were wrong with a mole, it looks and feels different. I just try to be careful and avoid the sun and getting burns because i know that can make it worse.

Just wanted to tell you hi and that I was thinking about you.

Get a dose of the m-i-l, that will give you something else to think about.

Take care
Natalie

EmmaJane
19-06-08, 21:22
Hi Claire,

Well done for going to the docs and getting the reassurance.

I think alot of problems stem from the media, TV etc. Certainly doesn't help us sufferers.

Any way glad to hear your ok.

Emma xx:hugs:

erialc
19-06-08, 23:32
Thanks peeps xxx

I feel much better tonight.... that was until u mentioned M-I-L worrier lol :winks:

jodie
20-06-08, 07:33
hiya claire

you know were i am if you need me mate

:bighug1:
jodie xx

get a bottle of wine down ya tonight that will help lol:winks:

kaz0904
20-06-08, 11:17
Hey Claire,
We all do this to ourselves, far too much. Other people who don't struggle like this just don't understand.

But I agree, the media makes such a fuss about these things, or we have friends who know someone who had this, that or the other, so we convince ourselves thats what we have. I saw a thing on This Morning about stomach and bowel cancer, and it made me panic that my Irritable Bowel was cancer. Then I googled my symptoms, and found all these articles that said how stomach cancer can be mis-diagnosed as IBS, so I was beside myself.

We all have these worries. You aren't on your own! :)

Emira7
20-06-08, 11:49
Hey Claire

Sorry your feeling rubbishy, its pants how HA just comes and bites us on the butt when we are least expecting it.

There has been so much in the press, I went through a stage of checking a mole on my shoulder numerous times.

Take the reassurance, and a big hug:hugs: I hope this passes soon for you:hugs: hunny.

xx

Marginalia
20-06-08, 12:52
I've done this too. I have this dark pigmented bump on my back and two different docs checked it out and told me it was nothing to worry about, and it seems every time I'm stressed it itches like hell, and I wonder if the docs missed something. Actually the second doc said it was a wart (even though when I look on the web warts aren't generally brown with black spots so I get all anxious). But honestly this second doc was really experienced and I do believe him really. He said I could get it removed and I might do that just to remove the anxiety :p

But yeah, the moral is we have all sorts of lumps and bumps, moles, warts, bits of skin that feel odd etc etc. and some of them itch but that doesn't mean it's malignant skin cancer - as people have said already, the media hypes that to stop people doing silly things like getting sunburned all the time or overusing sun beds.

And when we know someone it's happened to it's a natural reaction to be afraid that might happen to us too. (As if it was contagious) :(

kellie
20-06-08, 14:02
Hiya claire hun, i know how scary HA can be, mine is centered around cancer of any kind and mole checking is something i do as well. I have a rather large mole ( well i think it is) on the side of my left cheak and one on my shoulder, both of which itch like hell some times, ive had them for years they are not new moles. im thinking of haveing them removed as they are annoying to me and make me worry sometimes.
I think its normal and ok for them to itch so plz try not to worry about it

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxx