PDA

View Full Version : new to this anxiety lark, help please

MAXI
20-06-08, 19:16
Hi all
I've been suffering from extreme constant anxiety about my health for the last month or so, the DR has put me on tablets & I have an appt booked with a counsellor, but i need constant reassurance that my symptoms are normal anxiety symptoms.
I've got constant weak arms & legs, feel realy uncordinated & twitchy. I thinkk i'm analyzing every movement but at the moment i seem obsessed with the thought that I have some muscle wasting disease or similar.
I can't seem to distract my self I am totally consumed by thesse thoughts.

Please help & reassure me that i'm not alone.
Thanks for listening, Max x

kellie
20-06-08, 20:24
Hiya Maxi :welcome: to nmp its lovely to have you here :yesyes:
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way.
Just to reasure you hun the symptoms you are experiancing are all very commen symptoms of anxiety. Ive had weak/achy/tierd mucsels all over my body since my anx resurfest 2 years ago. have a look at the symptoms section on the left and it will explain lots more to you.
you are not alone with feeling this way there are loads of us out there.

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sandy47
20-06-08, 20:37
Hello Maxi.
I've just read the symptoms section and find that most of the things that I worry about are listed and explained there. They say information is power.....so here's hoping x

MAXI
20-06-08, 20:46
Thank you both for your kind replies, this is all such a shock to me i've never felt anything like it before.
I was having full panick attacks coming in waves throughout the day, wasn't eating or sleepng, sweating constantly. The tablets seem to have eased these symptoms but I still have the muscle weakness etc & am constantly looking for physical causes rather than accepting that its anxiety, so I suppose its a vicious circle.
Its the muscle thing thats bothering me even using the mouse & typing this feels like a work out.
Please tell me it gets better & this is normal for anxiety.
Thanks Max x

Dotcom
20-06-08, 21:18
Hi Max.
You have my sympathy. Just log on any time you feel the need I know it will make you feel better X

MAXI
20-06-08, 21:25
thanks dotcom x

veebee
20-06-08, 21:31
Hi Maxi, we've all been there (I still am) and you have my sympathy - we're all here to listen to each other so just keep posting - everyone is so supportive here. Its such a shock when something like this (seemingly) hits out of the blue which is why it makes us so difficult to understand. The hardest thing is trying to think positive which is the key to all this, understanding that its anxiety that causes all these horrible symptoms.

Keep posting we are all here to listen.

Take care

kellie
20-06-08, 22:20
Hiya maxi this weak feeling in your mucsels is normal hun you may even get days where you feel like you aint got the strenth to lift a cup.
honest i know what you are talking about and yes it does get better. how long have you been taking your meds and did this weakness start after you started them as the meds may be adding to it. but that can also be normal untill your body gets used to the meds. also are you googleing your symptoms ? if you are then may i suggest that you stop doing that befor you scare yourself silly, when you are worried just do a post on here and we will help as much as we can. or go into the chat room and talk to everyone about it.

take care

kellie.

Trixie
21-06-08, 06:37
Take your pick.....................:D

Excessive, ongoing worry and tension
An unrealistic view of problems
Restlessness or a feeling of being "edgy"
Irritability
Muscle tension
Headaches (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=20628)
Sweating
Difficulty concentrating
Nausea (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=41943)
The need to go to the bathroom frequently
Tiredness
Trouble falling or staying asleep (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=6177)
Trembling
Being easily startledYou will find lots of support on this board so welcome.:flowers:

P.S I am allowed to google as I don't suffer from health anxiety:) (not yet).

MAXI
21-06-08, 09:07
thank again, it is reassuring. I've banned myself from ggogling my symptoms or specific conditions other than anxiety..which is how i found you lovely people!
I'm 37, married with 2 boys aged 8 & 5, I work part time but i have been off sick for the past 4 weeks & have just been given another cert for another 4 weeks.
I've been worried about feeling generally crappy, achy muscles etc for the last few months, in the end went to teh DR'S & had blood tests etc but it doesnt seem to have reassured me. Infact this obsession that my symptoms are caused by an undetected muscle wasting ilness are all consuming at the moment.
I've been on citalopram 10mg for 12 days & then 20mg for the past 4 days. I don't seem to be at quite such a highly anxious state but the muscle symptoms are still there & I guess I'm still not relaxed enough to give them a break.
Please tell me i'm normal xx

leedsmeister
21-06-08, 11:25
mate, il what your going through as i'm having exactly the same problems about diagnosing myself with a disease.
My doc says i'm fine, but my muscles twitch and i get pins and needles etc.. the whole shebang, so im sure its all just anxiety, as hard as that is to believe!! :weep:

kellie
21-06-08, 13:16
Hiya Maxi, yes hun you are normal and these are all typical symptoms of anx. give your meds a little longer to work as most of them can take up to 8 wks to realy start working well, some can even make you feel worse befor they make you feel better. also you are a mom of 2 young children and working as well as not feeling very good, i doubt very much you have a mucsle wasting disease. we tend to focus on a symptom that bothers us the most and then make it worse by thinking we have something worse.
try to have some relax time and be kind to yourself

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxx

MAXI
21-06-08, 16:18
Thanks again, i'm still trying to believe its anxiety, honestly I am. My left hand feels so weak & achy & the top of my left arm feels ice cold - its just so odd & scary.

kimmy
21-06-08, 19:10
when my anxiety began this is EXACTLY how I felt! Youve taken the positive steps of going to the doc and making an appt with counsellor, I found mine amazing and she reasurred me so much. I hardly have anxiety now, so if it helps YOU CAN GET OVER IT and recover!!! My thoughts are with you on your journey, feel free to message me anytime for a chat

EmmaJane
21-06-08, 19:25
Hi Max.

Welcome to NMP. Everyone else has covered all. Maybe have a good look aroun the site, it could be very helpful to you.

Emma x

kaz0904
21-06-08, 21:10
The muscle symptoms could take a while to go away. I have suffered from muscular pain all over my body, caused by the anxiety and tension. It took months to go away properly, but thanks to the meds, they dwindled gradually.
Back on the meds again now, following a relapse of anxiety, so I am like you, waiting for the symptoms to fade away. Hang in there, it does get better eventually, I promise :hugs:

MAXI
22-06-08, 07:00
thank you so much, at the moment even walking to the end of the road is leaving my muscles achy & twichy & its freaking me out.
I am trying to relax but of course you all know its easier said than done.
Even the soles of my feet twitch.

I just need constant re assurance that it is nothing more than anxiety. Thank you for talking to me.

goth
22-06-08, 20:15
hi maxi reading your problems is like reading about myself its not nice feelings but us with anxiety seem to blow everything out of proportion and think we've something worse than anxiety with me it seems the more i think about the weakness i have in my arms and legs the worse i get we have to stop thinking that way other wise we end up in a bit of a turmoil so your not alone hope you feel better soon love lin x

chalky
22-06-08, 20:22
Hi Max,

Welcome to the Forum.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get loads of support and advice here.
Best wishes,
Chalky

MAXI
22-06-08, 21:05
Thanks Goth it really is sooo helpful to know i'm not alone, up until i found this site i'd only ever heard about people having panic attacks & problems with crowds etc. I'm fine in a crowd, its my own mind thats th problem.
Its good to know i'm not the only one with this health obsession.
I've actually had a good day today except for my twitchy achy feet, which of course i'm worried about.
Thanks for the kind words x