PDA

View Full Version : Periods and anxiety (sorry)

kimmy
21-06-08, 18:28
Hi I was wondering wether your anxiety gets worse when your on/due on your periods?

Im quite stressed at the moment (im on yay) and not only is my daughter being a moo all day, the dog keeps throwing her ball at me to play, eveything is getting on my nerves, the noise is getting on my nerves and I feel like I can scream!!

I was so stressed a mo ago I thought, Oh my god I could thow something and just lose it, then wham anxiety kicked in 'oh my god, what if I hurt someone, the kids, ..........' MY BIGGEST FEAR

Now Im tense and stressed more :( I hate periods :weep:

kellyw
21-06-08, 19:06
yes 100% my anxiety goes from being low grade to off the scale, not only when im on my period but also mid cycle when im ovulating. it is unbearable sometimes. i dont get too bad tempered just really scared and breathless and out of control feelings. its awful i really feel for you honey. you need a nice hot water bottle, a good book and an early night.
take good care
kelly xxx

EmmaJane
21-06-08, 19:08
Hi

I cant say anymore than yes periods are definately a factor to highten anxiety.

Deep breaths

Emma x

kimmy
21-06-08, 19:13
Thanks ladies, its so reasurring to hear this. I dont really suffer with anxiety anymore- I live with it at points but this month Im really feeling it, Ive just had a blubber with the hubby in the kitchen and he told me to have a good cry and he understands (as much as he can). Thank you so much xxxxxxxx

SueBee
21-06-08, 19:21
Hi Kimmy,

Absolutely your periods can massively affect your anxiety levels.

I've just had the worst 3 days.... constant migraine, panic etc.

Do you find though that not every month is the same? Its weird, if i have a really heavy period i get NO symptoms but if its light, jesus do i suffer!!

kimmy
21-06-08, 19:38
I think its getting worse each month---- or possibly its my anxiety telling me it is :( I hate it so much

Lola
22-06-08, 11:30
I tend to panic a lot more during my periods... I feel more tense and things feel more our of control, including worry and anxiety!

Try to relax and control your breathing... It will subside :)

Marginalia
22-06-08, 12:16
Do you find though that not every month is the same? Its weird, if i have a really heavy period i get NO symptoms but if its light, jesus do i suffer!!

Interesting - I noticed the same thing. And I seem to either get a lot of pain in the morning OR I get bad PMS (and for me PMS definitely includes anxiety - it's like an enhanced state of emotional fragility). I also have quite variable cycles (4-6 weeks) and the long ones produce more PMS.

kimmy
25-06-08, 22:11
I am questioning the fact I may have PMS

Parfait757
11-07-09, 18:40
Mine gets bad just before my periods and during. During I also get really tired which makes me worry even more that something is wrong. Does anyone else get this?

momof3boys
20-07-09, 04:34
I get bad anxiety the day before and during my period but right at the end, the last two days are terrible, anyone ever have it worse at the end of theirs or right after? It doesn't make much sense to me!

LisaLisa
20-07-09, 13:00
Hi Kimmy,

Absolutely your periods can massively affect your anxiety levels.

I've just had the worst 3 days.... constant migraine, panic etc.

Just to say Suebb i get that too. I think that the heavy periods are ones where we dont ovulate and there is no progesterone to control the estrogen hence why the bleeding is so heavy and it seems that it is the balance between progesterone and estrogen that causes the emotional horribleness.

Also someone else posted about feeling horrible right at the end, I have been getting this too on the months where i seem to have ovulated - as in feel awfull and it isnt as heavy.

It freaks me out becuase I have this horrible fear of hiv and everything is caused by it my mind aaaaggggghhhhh

Lisa
xxxx:hugs:

Stressed32
20-07-09, 15:32
I am the worst the week before...PMS? Once I start...it is like my body goes...aghhhhh, ok, we can breath now. I am on day 21 right now....and feeling lumps in my head and starting the cycle of HA. I think this will effect my hormones for next cycle and keep the whole nasty thing going again! Stress makes your body turn progestrone into estrogen. It also makes your body produce cortisol, which will wreak havic on your body....so stressing about stressing makes it all keep going.

tiredOfOcd
20-07-09, 15:41
My wife's periods have a horrible effect on me!

:scared15:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Stressed32
20-07-09, 16:03
tiredof ocd.....too funny! LOL.

tiredOfOcd
20-07-09, 16:28
tiredof ocd.....too funny! LOL.

I'm glad someone recognized my comment as a joke. I've been looking at the subject for some time and couldn't resist making my post anymore.

In an attempt to tie this to HA, they say "laughter is the best medicine" and I've found in my own struggles that laughing at stuff surrounding HA/OCD is just good for you.

Wee-Mee
20-07-09, 16:31
I am a bit of a wreck on periods. every ache and pain I get also doesnt help cos I am scared it is something else. I get really irritable because I am worrying but that is made worse because of the periods!