PDA

View Full Version : Train Phobia

Sarah26
23-06-08, 07:16
Hello my name is Sarah, I am 26 and I have a huge phobia of trians planes lifts any thing I can not get up and leave get off when I choose to.
I have started taking citalopram was on 10mg for 3 weeks and have now increased to 20mg, for the last 4 days but have not really noticed a big difference. APart from restless legs and strained eyes it feels like.
Does any one know if taking the meds will help me over come my phobia.
Many thanks

t0rt01se36
23-06-08, 10:28
Do u suffer from Claustrophobia? I can relate to your post. I'm too scared to fly and could only cope with with an hour max on the train. Theres so many places I've been to by train and not by train that I'd like to do again but my Anxiety gets in the way.

I don't take any meds and hope that 1 day I'll be able to travel more. I'm wanting to go down to Devon soon but the thought just scares me.

jodie
23-06-08, 14:01
hiya Sarah

god i know were you are coming from with this one i am also scared of lifts trains flying ect like you have said it is that you can not get off when you feel like it ,i am getting a little better but not taken meds for it i have just have to face it and try get over it ,i now can go in lifts train not that i am happy about it but i try , not been on a plain yet but think we are going to late this year sometime :wacko:
so i guess i good way to help yourself it to face your fear (hard i know)

jodie xx

pooh
23-06-08, 18:49
HI I was told that those fears you have mentioned, from which I also suffer, are agorophobia. I dont have control and feel that i cant escape. My medication has helped but more importantly you just have to find the courage from somewhere to get on the train, plane etc. I recently managed going into glasgow on the motorway, which I hadnt done in a long time and from there its been little steps. It's very important I overcome this because my sis is moving to australia and there is no way I am not going to visit her.
You are certainly not alone in this one though

Pooh xx

Sarah26
01-07-08, 21:19
thank you every one!
think you are right am going to have to find the courage from somewhere and just get on!
Will let you know how I all get on!
Thank you for your support!

Cathy V
01-07-08, 22:36
Hi sarah, yes pooh is right, you are definately not alone with this one! I really dont like trains, but not so much the train for me, its the fact that they can get very crowded and if im not standing near a door and the carriage is packed with ppl standing i freak out, and have been known to just get off and wait for another. These days im a bit cheekier with it and move myself into first class to escape, willing to pay the extra to stay if the guard comes around. Fortunately each time ive done this he hasnt come around until almost the end of my journey nad then they just say its ok, so ive never had to pay the extra yet!

Planes i have to accept, with the help of a glass of red wine at the airport, since moving here to germany last year its the only way i can get back to see my family. Well, i could get a bus but then id be trapped for 2 days instead of only 2 hours :ohmy:

Best wishes, and welcome to the forum,
cathy xxx :)