PDA

View Full Version : Hi,everyone "please help"

anxietysucks3
20-04-05, 21:05
Hi,im a 21 year old male who has been suffering from severe anxiety\panic attacks for aprox 4 years.I have many phobia's as well.Such as 'fear of choking,driving alone exc. Id like to chat with anyone who has had any success with over comming anxiety.I have a question i would love everyone to answer. What kinda jobs does everyone have and what kinda jobs are good for people with this disorder?I currently have a job but its only temporary.Your answers will help me alot ..Thanks to everyone who replys :-) Justin

sal
21-04-05, 00:05
Hi Justin

Have replied to your other post.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Meg
21-04-05, 14:25
Hi Justin

Welcome,
What you're describing is fairly common in anxietyand panic.

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)
Any job you have some degree of flexibility and control over would be preferable whilst you're acute.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

maxine
21-04-05, 14:34
Hiya Justin,
Welcome to the site.:D:D

sal
21-04-05, 22:13
Hi Justin

Got your pm i will reply soon mate.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Karen
21-04-05, 23:16
Hi Justin

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

pips
22-04-05, 12:41
Hi Justin,:D

A Warm welcome to the Forum!

Yes having a job can be hard with anxiety hey! I work as a Care Assistant in a boarding college for the Visually Impaired and some with special needs. Although it can be a very demanding job at times. [Sigh...] I find it can help with my anxiety as i put students needs firsts thus sometimes i'm to busy to think about my own anxiety panic etc... Another job I would love to do is work with animals.

I hope you are well and you find the career you are looking for

Take care;)

Love PIP'S X

Kiki
22-04-05, 14:21
Hi Justin,
I think Pips has hit the nail on the head in that although, when you feel anxious, you may think you'd rather have a job where you can hide in the corner all day, it's actually much better to do something that is challenging or keeps you busy, as that really does take your mind off the anxiety & any symptoms you may be having.
My CBT lady was telling me that I should actually take the fact that I am a total worrier & use this to find a job where I can use this to my advantage. For example, because I worry a lot, I'm good at analysing things etc. I haven't been able to get into the website from work, but apparently the Guardian jobs website allows you to type in your character traits & then finds suitable jobs for your personality type. Might be worth a look?
Take care,
K x x

bcgreen2000
22-04-05, 14:30
Hi Justin,

I'm also a new member to this forum (See my introduction).

I have been suffering with a fear of choking / swallowing (or not being able to swallow, more to the point) for nearly two months. Although not as long as you I have found this site to be an excellant place to get information and support, as I'm sure you will.

Something that is repeated throughout, and by my Counciller, is positive thinking. Use all the energy you have to fight every negative thought. Any time you start to worry about eating, driving or whatever think of something positive. Have something in mind always. Think now of a time you were happy. A holiday, day out, a good film, whatever. Use this every time you catch yourself thinking negatively. You more you do it the easier it becomes.

I'm in the early stages of this and am finding it really hard but so many people can't be wrong. Just remember you are not aalone and for every person who has anxiety I bet there are lots who have overcome it.

Anxiety is not who you are. It is just a thought that has become a feeling that has become a behaviour. Change the thought and the rest will follow.

Good Luck.